General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I the only one who thinks speed laces are useless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-11 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2400378

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Am I the only one who thinks speed laces are useless

JoshKaptur - 2009-09-11 8:27 AM Maybe I'm crazy here, but I can't believe how much you people love your speed laces.  And no, it's not that I'm one of those people who doesn't mind the extra time tying my shoes.  It's just that I NEVER untie my shoes with regular laces.

Maybe I'm strange and I don't like my shoe so tight that my toes go numb, but I can't believe you guys can't slip on a pair of running shoes just by sticking your finger in the back like a shoehorn and sliding it in.  A quick pull on the tongue and you're done.

I've had the speed laces before - I actually didn't like them because they never got my shoe feeling just right.  Whereas the traditional laces can get adjusted just barely looser or just barely tighter over the course of several runs -- until it is dialed in just perfectly.  Then a double knot goes in and I've got perfectly perfect slip on shoes that fit me perfectly.

Anyone else want to come out of the closet (or tell me I'm missing some magical benefit of them, or that my shoes aren't on tight enough if I can slip them on, etc)?

It helps people who can't tie their shoes!

2009-09-11 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2400685

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Turnin2 - 2009-09-11 10:33 AM In my last race  I was trying to sorta sneak up on a guy in my AG who is faster than me, the only way I can beat him is if he is in cooldown and I try to sprint past him at the last minute.
I blew past him in the last 1/4 mile and was in an all out run for the finish when my #$%%ing shoelace came untied and I had to stop. I lost a position by 7 seconds.

I went and bought speed laces that day. They seem to work well, when I told the owner or the running store what happened, she said "no offense, but you are an idiot for letting that happen"
She must know, she has pictures of her at IM Hawaii.
Either that, or she can just tell idiots right away.

I didn't think it was that obvious

Here's your sign.
2009-09-11 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
JoshKaptur - 2009-09-11 5:27 AM Maybe I'm crazy here, but I can't believe how much you people love your speed laces.  And no, it's not that I'm one of those people who doesn't mind the extra time tying my shoes.  It's just that I NEVER untie my shoes with regular laces.

Maybe I'm strange and I don't like my shoe so tight that my toes go numb, but I can't believe you guys can't slip on a pair of running shoes just by sticking your finger in the back like a shoehorn and sliding it in.  A quick pull on the tongue and you're done.

I've had the speed laces before - I actually didn't like them because they never got my shoe feeling just right.  Whereas the traditional laces can get adjusted just barely looser or just barely tighter over the course of several runs -- until it is dialed in just perfectly.  Then a double knot goes in and I've got perfectly perfect slip on shoes that fit me perfectly.

Anyone else want to come out of the closet (or tell me I'm missing some magical benefit of them, or that my shoes aren't on tight enough if I can slip them on, etc)?

Obviously not for you...but they would be for me.
2009-09-11 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

I had to retie a shoe last year twice in one race. I snagged some Yankz the next day and have used them since. Even when my running shoes are moved to the casual (even yard mowing) category, I keep my Yankz in them.

2009-09-11 4:21 PM

User image

What do you mean, "you people"?????????
2009-09-11 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Yankz. Never had issues of feeling too tight or too loose.

As a person who obsesses with race stats, it was an easy way for me to make up :20 in the race. I would get so burned looking at those guys who finished just ahead of me and thinking about what I could have done to move up a few notches. I'm a MOP guy, but it's still more satisfying to me to come in a few spots higher...

2009-09-12 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2401470

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
ChrisM - 2009-09-11 5:21 PM What do you mean, "you people"?????????

LOL - "you people" as in the BT community that I constantly read about praising their yankz or comparable product.  What tipped me off for this thread was the "bang for your buck" discussion where speed laces were so often cited.

I think what's most interesting about this, based on the responses, is that it seems there is a VERY wide range of preference in how tight one's running shoes should be.  I don't like my foot constrained at all - go barefoot whenever possible and has actually been a problem at work when I get caught not wearing shoes (I work in a goverment office).  If you stepped on my heel at the start of a marathon my shoe would definitely come off.  Sounds like others would dip their foot in gorilla glue and then put their shoe on and use power tools to tighten the laces if they could.

I appreciate the bear's point - I always wear socks.  I think wet feet would not go into my shoes well at all.  Takes me about 10 seconds in T1 to roll on some ankle socks and I'll be glad I did for the rest of the day.  I've tried running without socks and can't do it - heck I don't even like biking without socks.  Maybe I'd like it more if I tightened up my laces so my foot couldn't move around in the shoe... but like I said I hate having my feet constrained.  Especially when running off pavement I want my foot to be able to move, flex, toes spread, etc.

2009-09-12 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond VA area

Before I became a yankz believer I had my shoes pre-tied and slipped them in. It worked OK byt like others have said, I like my shoes a little more snug than I could manage with the pre-tie setup. And I do remember a couple of races where my shoelaces came untied during a race causing me an unscheduled stop. 

Speed laces are perfect for me.

Is there any difference between Yankz and other types of speed laces? Any benefit of one brand over another?

2009-09-12 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2402127

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
JoshKaptur - 2009-09-12 9:45 AM
I appreciate the bear's point - I always wear socks.  I think wet feet would not go into my shoes well at all.  Takes me about 10 seconds in T1 to roll on some ankle socks and I'll be glad I did for the rest of the day. 

[slight hijack]Your shortest T1 in any race you've logged is 1:30, something's eating up your time. Regardless, when yout T1 is less than 30 seconds, then 10 seconds to put on socks is huge. But I wager it's taking you longer than that.[/slight hijack]

Point being, speed laces save time in several ways. You don't want to use them, then don't. Keep logging those long T1s.

Edited by the bear 2009-09-12 7:35 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I the only one who thinks speed laces are useless Rss Feed  

of 2