General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anxiety attacks in the water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-19 7:57 PM

User image

, Hawaii
Subject: Anxiety attacks in the water
Deos anyone here get anxiety attacks in the water? I've never been a good swimmer. I signed up for my 1st 1/2 IM last year, and while I'm really looking forward to the event, I'm really scared about the 1.2M swim. I'm one of those people that can't float or tread water very long because: A) I don't know how to balance properly in the water B) my body composition makes me sink. Consequently, one of my biggest fears is to take in water during the swim, panic, call for kayak help, and ultimately get DQ'ed because of it. I'm capable of swimming 2000m nonstop, but can't shake off this worry. If anyones got tips or words of inspiration to stave off anxiety attacks, I would certainly like to hear them.

2005-05-19 8:19 PM
in reply to: #160358

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Anxiety attacks in the water

This never happens to me........................................except in every race (4) I've ever done .  It's getting better for me though and based on my experience I recommend the following:

1) Be confident.  You know you an swim the distance.  When you get overwhelmed with that feeling, slow down and think to yourself--I will not quit, I can do this, and really there is no dignified way out of this now, so I might as well keep swimming.

2) Start slow.  Stay away from people.  Breathe frequently.  Stay aerobic.  You can pick up speed as you get more comfortable in your swim.

3) You can grab a kayac and catch your breath without being DQ'd (I've never done it, but it's legal and any panic you might feel should be relieved by knowing you can do this if need be).

4) Find someone swimming your speed and swiim next to them, breathing to their side frequently so you can see them.  You'll be amazed how comforting it is to just see another person nearby.

A friend of mine did kayac support in St. Anthony's this year.  Drug a guy in before he got to the first buoy.  The guy just totally panicked.  You have too much time invested in this race.  Relax.  Don't be that guy.  You'll do fine.

2005-05-19 8:50 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
Buy a wetsuit. I'm a 'sinker', too, and the wetsuit helps me float. That makes me more confident in open water, which means I swim more and harder, which makes me a better swimmer.

I got my wetsuit a couple of weeks ago. I was swimming 2x a week in a pool, with most swims being under 1000 yards. Since I've got the wetsuit, I've started doing my workouts in open water because I don't feel like I'm going to drown. On Sunday, I did a 1 mile open water race (last in my age group, but I swam it non-stop which was my goal). Tuesday, I managed to get in about 2000 yards of good swimming outside. Tonight I got in another session close to 2000 yards. So - I went from a ~ 2000 yard a week pool swimmer to a ~6000 meter a week open water swimmer, and I attribute it completely to feeling safer in the wetsuit. I figure if I keep this kind of distance up, I'll be set for my 1/2 IM swim in July.

FWIW I picked up one of the Promotion sleeveless models from www.wetsuit.com - primarilly because of the 15% discount we get from this site. I don't know enough about wetsuits to make any kind of quality statements, but it works well for me, wasn't too expensive and the folks on the phone at Promotion were quite helpful.

Edited by Technikal 2005-05-19 8:55 PM
2005-05-19 9:01 PM

User image

, Hawaii
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Living in Hawaii, I'd never considered buying a wetsuit for a race, but the idea definitely has merit if I know it'll help me in competition. How's your mobility in the water with it? I've never swam in one. Is it something that I'd need to get used to with just 2 weeks to go before a race?
2005-05-19 10:04 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Also, if you have sudden panicks, turn on your back. You float better that way. Let the anxiety pass, then continue on like you're a pro (picturing yourself as Grant Hacket works wonders - I think he has or had the 1500m LC world record)
2005-05-19 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Yeah the backstroke is a life saver. I used it in my last rate until I could get my heart rate down and flip over. Its the open water that freaks me out not the distance.

2005-05-19 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
My wife says that she gets a "huge warm fuzzy" from her wetsuit during OW swims.....
2005-05-19 10:29 PM

Elite Veteran
Living in Hawaii, your race might not be wetsuit legal (water temp at or below 78 degrees, IIRC). Having said that, do you know what makes you anxious? Is it other people swimming near you and swimming into you? Is it reduced visibility? Marine life? Not being able to complete the distance? A combination of all of the above?

While I can get a little keyed up at just about all of the fears (except I know I can complete the distances), I'd recommend starting to the back and outside. I try not to give too much away on the swim, but I never plan to "get ahead" of the competition. Starting back of the front will do several things. First, any marine life will be long gone by the time you show up. The sound of all of the swimmers in the water will have chased just about anything away. Second, you won't be in a pack of people swimming all over each other. Depending on the visibility of the water, once people start spreading out, it is pretty easy to avoid each other. Third, stay calm. Plan your strategy; don't just hope it goes well. Plan to avoid the melee and find some feet going your speed to draft off. If you need to, spend a little time side stroking. If you can side stroke, you won't need a kayak as long as you stay calm and relaxed.

What also helps me stay calm in the water is knowing what is happening around me. This is NOT a race winning strategy, but I sight a lot to know where the next buoy is; I know who is swimming near me, next to me, and behind me. I'm kind of a "key eye witness" type of swimmer. I'm not the fastest, but I'm not normally surprised. It works for me. Best of luck!
2005-05-19 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
You need to learn how to float on your back....it's real easy actually.....and will ease your anxiety knowing you can just float without any exterion....a swim coach can show you...turn on to your back, push your head way back (this is the hard part as your head needs to be half under water with your eyes and mouth just above the water line), push your abdomen up, and breath....use your arms to position yourself....I always do this between sets to relax so I avoid holding onto anything or standing in the pool
2005-05-19 10:42 PM
in reply to: #160382

User image

Austin, Texas
Mobility in the water is just fine for me.  I don't notice the suit at all with the exception of the extra buoyancy it provides.

The first few yards of the first swim with the suit were strange, but it didn't take more than that to get used to.  I still can't get the thing off quickly, though.
2005-05-20 11:10 AM

User image

Buttercup

Actually, your body composition makes you FLOAT. You are equipped with bellows (LUNGS) which, when inflated, will keep you afloat. You need to shake this belief that you are meant to sink. What you can do...

1. Here's an exercise that will prove to your mind and body that your belief system is mistaken. Take a big breath and hold it. Dive into the deep end of your pool and head to the bottom of the pool (do not exhale). Relax and stop swimming/moving. You will find your body rising to the surface without any assistance from you. The reason you will rise is because your lungs are full of air. Your lungs are excellent floaties.
  2. Prepare for a possible anxiety attack by learning to tread water for extended periods of time. Swim to the deep end; tread water for 15 minutes. This drill is quite relaxing and you will gain confidence in your ability to sustain yourself in deep water (especially during an anxiety attack).
  3. Spend some time underwater. In the shallow end of the pool, exhale and drop to the bottom of your pool. Sit on the bottom for as long as you can. When you need to take a breath, rise, inhale, then drop back down to sitting position. Try to do this for 10 minutes. This, too, can be a very relaxing exercise which will teach you to be comfortable below water for extended periods of time. You're wiring your instincts to not panic when you are below water and not breathing.
  4. Finally, whenever you have an anxiety attack, stop what you're doing, breathe slowly and start treading water (remember, treading water is relaxing). Give yourself a self-talk: I'm okay. I can do this. I'll be just fine. I'm okay. I can do this. I'll be just fine...
  5. Get open water swimming experience. Look for OW swim races and enter them. You will gain confidence in your ability to swim OW while surrounded by many other swimmers.

Good luck!! You CAN float. You CAN tread water. You CAN DO THIS!

2005-05-20 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Remember to EXHALE! It may sound silly, but its true. Often, you get anxious and start huffing and puffing and breathing really fast. Exhale a full breath and try to inhale slowly. I learned this whitewater kayaking after taking unplanned swims in cold mountain streams!

I still get anxious in open water. I try to just exhale hard and then just breathe.... I think it just takes time.
2005-05-20 1:20 PM
in reply to: #160559

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Renee, you should be a swim coach! I know people who have these anxieties, these are really good drills/suggestions. Thanks.
2005-05-20 2:59 PM
in reply to: #160661

Regular
Chicago, IL
It has been great reading this thread. I just started swimming and I have noticed a bit of anxiety. It has been frustrating since I am a beginner and I have a long way to go. OW does freak me out, I am only swimming in pools right now.

Thx
Alicia
2005-05-20 3:45 PM
in reply to: #160559

User image

, Hawaii
Renee,

Thanks for the tips. I've been swimming in open water a lot more recently, and learning to tread water just a bit longer to help me feel more comfortable in the event of an anxiety attack in the swim. It's starting to feel better, but I still do feel like I lose more energy treadign water than when I'm swimming. In regards to floating, I've tried filling my lungs with air in the deep side of the pool. It's my legs that take me to the bottom. I'm trying to counteract that with gentle, almost effortless kicking, and that has been working well for me.

-Allen
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anxiety attacks in the water Rss Feed