Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-13 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2401499

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: When do you replace your bike
I've replaced both my road bikes and my tri bike in the last two years. One of the road bikes because I finally got the funds to build my dream bike and the other bike because I stumbled upon a great deal on the frame and had all the components/wheels etc. already. The tri bike was bought as I was sold a frame previously that was too small (the dealer did the fitting and ignored discussing my riding style, and I was too inexperienced to ask... result=couldn't stay in the aero position for entire races). Got refitted and now I'm faster than ever.

With these bikes, I'm set for at least another 3-5 years (maybe longer unless something amazing comes along)

2009-09-13 4:04 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
3 years is nothing.  I replaced my my 1992 Bianchi last year, and mrs gearboy's 1985 Shogun this year.  My mtn bike is about 11 years old, and if I rode trails more often, I would justify an upgrade to have disc brakes. 

If the bike fits, and it works for you, no need to replace it.  If you want to justify it for upgraded frames or components, go for it.  But realistically I don't think there is some new technology that has come out in the last year or two that completely blows away the "old" system, the way that index shifting replaced friction, or integrated shifters on road bikes replaced downtube shifters, or the advent of disc brakes on mtn bikes, etc.

And people who replace bikes every couple of years are (sometimes) putting out on the market some really nice bikes for people getting into cycling (my one friend got a used Giant OCR with 105 components for around $400 - needed some wheel truing and a smaller seat post, but he couldn't touch a new bike for that price.  And being a cheap b*stard, he would have kept struggling on road rides with his 12 year old mountain bike.) So I'm not putting down the practice, just saying you don't need to feel that a 3 year old bike is ancient history.
2009-09-13 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2402401

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

cooutdoors - 2009-09-12 4:25 PM
jeng - 2009-09-11 4:28 PM

Replace? I don't replace, I just add new ones. I seem to get a new bike every 1.5-2 years, but they all serve different functions... or sometimes I just take one out over the other.

Last last bike I got October 2008 became my road summer bike, then my 2005 Trek became my road winter bike and my 198something Cannondale became my really crappy winter road bike.

DING DING DING...we have a winner! Actually, the question should be phrased: when do you actually get rid of one of your bikes. When the net worth of your bikes exceeds your mortgage, then you can consider parting ways with some. Note that I said "consider"...

No I asked what I meant.  I don't mountain bike and have no desire for a road bike.  I live in Florida so no need for a winter bike a crappy winter bike or a really crappy winter bike.   If I got a new bike this one would probably become my trainer bike but I have a road bike I picked up second hand when I first started training that is serving that purpose now.  I kind of feel like there comes a point where you have to replace a bunch costly items on the bike is it better to put the money to a new bike?  I love my little QR I'm sticking with it for a while  

2009-09-13 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Agree completely with adding rather than replacing.  I've got a Nishiki that I bought in about 1990, still mostly stock (except for a couple of things that broke & couldn't be fixed) that used for my first 1.5 seasons of triathlon and still ride sometimes.

Last year I got a Ti frame Motobecane.  I figure I might upgrade some of the components over time, but I expect the frame to last forever.

If I found myself with money to spare, I might add a carbon tri bike or maybe a mountain bike.

But if I worked in a bike shop (especially on commission), I might try to shame people into replacing their bikes every two years at most...

Edited by tjh 2009-09-13 10:03 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you replace your bike Rss Feed  

of 2