General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutritional Makeover Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-11 9:03 PM

Veteran
Richmond, KY
Subject: Nutritional Makeover

I have gotten to the point in my life that I feel like I need to eat better to perform better (garbage in garbage out).  When I was a little younger it didn't matter so much...

Anyways, I'm looking for a little direction here.  Is there a 'philosophy' or something that I should consider?  Good websites or books I should check out?  The only consideration is that I have a wife, a 4 year old, and a baby on the way so whatever I 'do' has to work for all of us.  I'm not looking to go all organic or vegetarian or anything, but I would like to cut out as much processed stuff as possible. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

2009-09-12 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2401761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Nutritional Makeover
Good for you for deciding to make a change!  While I am no expert and I follow no specific "plan"  I have cut out almost all processed foods from my diet and lost over 25 lbs since the beginning of the year.

I fill up my grocery cart with produce, I am not exaggerating! Bananas, apples, berries, peaches, kiwi, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, cukes etc. Then I will get some whole grain, high fiber bread then lean meats (mostly chicken and fish) and low fat milk and organic yogurt and maybe some cheese.  So I spend the majority of my time shopping the perimeter of the store but will venture down the aisle for things like beans (black beans and chickpeas mostly) maybe canned tomatoes as well as OATMEAL! One of my favorite foods!

When eating I make sure to have a fruit or veggie at each meal including snacks. 

Keeping the junk out of the house helps to eliminate the temptation to put junk in my mouth.  My boyfriend still enjoys some things like Frosted Mini Wheats and tubs of ice cream, but even that is pretty limited in the housre, so it's not hard to eat well with other sin the house, if anything it's better for your kids to limit the processed stuff!

One site I love is Katheats.com, she follows the same philiosophy and is actually in school to be a nutritionist and shows everything she eats in a day so it's a great site to get meal ideas.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutritional Makeover Rss Feed