General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get BACK into this after 4 years? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-12 3:12 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: How to get BACK into this after 4 years?
I'm getting back into this after 4 years of non-training... I used to do pool sprint tri's but had a good level of fitness at about Oly level overall I guess. A nagging knee issue and job change etc conspired against me and sadly I sank into the couch

My question is this... I want to get fit again, lose 25lbs and even do some sprints again next year. Should I start with a 20 week plan now or simply ease back into training until Christmas and get a more structured plan going once I have some base developing and have lost a good bit of weight? I'm 39 in case that helps and currently sitting at about 200lbs for a 6' male.

Last few weeks I've been running 4x week, doing 20 mins/1.5 mile slow runs without issue. I plan to get back in the pool this weekend for the first 'proper' swim in ages and start slow and see what happens. I hope I'll even dust off the bike tomorrow and put a few miles on as well while the autumn sun is shining.Part of me says to just run and swim a few easy sessions a week, at low intensity, for a few months and gradually build up again, before getting too structured.

What do you guys all think? There has been an increase in pool sprints in my area this year, so it looks like I might have 4-6 events I could choose from next year if I can keep it going - ahead of turning the big 40

2009-09-12 4:06 AM
in reply to: #2401958

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: How to get BACK into this after 4 years?

Sounds to me like youve kicked off doing the right thing... doing something most days of the week and gradually easing back in to each of the three sports.

Id say keep up with that strategy and focus on weight loss - nutrition in particular if thats part of the problem. That focus will put you in a much better position to start a training plan in the lead up to your next race... AND if you have had knee issues in the past, getting to an appropriate weight BEFORE you ramp up the training is really important to avoid reactivating old injuries.

Because you have raced before things will come back to you and it will no doubt fit like an old glove Enjoy!

2009-09-12 5:11 AM

User image

Expert
England
thanks, I think that sounds like a good plan for me

My diet and exercise always go hand in hand - when I train I eat well and avoid rubbish easily, so I know the weight will fall off again. When my HRM is repaired I'll just focus on low intensity fat burning/endurance building activity for the next 3 months and re-adjust to training. I've been working on the 30 mins of activity per day regime and added extra walking many days etc. I've already dropped a few lbs in the last 10 days and hope when I weigh myself tomorrow to see another 1 or 2 off as well...

I enjoy the running the most but am concerned about my knees. I never diagnosed the problem originally, but just couldnt run without pain and aches afterwards. It took 6 months of zero running before I could even do a short run with no issues. I'm really really hoping I dont get any reoccurrence of that problem again as I start to get back into this.
2009-09-12 5:55 AM
in reply to: #2401971

User image

Champion
Sydney

Bigpikle - 2009-09-12 8:11 PM thanks, I think that sounds like a good plan for me My diet and exercise always go hand in hand - when I train I eat well and avoid rubbish easily, so I know the weight will fall off again. When my HRM is repaired I'll just focus on low intensity fat burning/endurance building activity for the next 3 months and re-adjust to training. I've been working on the 30 mins of activity per day regime and added extra walking many days etc. I've already dropped a few lbs in the last 10 days and hope when I weigh myself tomorrow to see another 1 or 2 off as well... I enjoy the running the most but am concerned about my knees. I never diagnosed the problem originally, but just couldnt run without pain and aches afterwards. It took 6 months of zero running before I could even do a short run with no issues. I'm really really hoping I dont get any reoccurrence of that problem again as I start to get back into this.

Id say keep an eye on it... any niggle go straight and see someone before it gets any worse.

Obviously be really conservative with your increases in pace or distance or adding new things to your runworkout such as speed work and hills.

Its probably good to not run on consecutive days if you can help it initially and use the other sports to break up the run workouts...

Dont be afraid of 1-2 rest days eery week to give your body time to recover from the impact of training (especially in the initial phases)

But overall it sounds to me like you are on the right path

Edited by kaqphin 2009-09-12 5:55 AM
2009-09-12 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2401980

User image

Expert
England
thanks - I should really have known all that but your points about rest and consecutive training etc are great reminders and things I need to take on board!

I can feel the 'bug' hitting me again at the moment - got the juicer out again this morning, had a short easy run again (3 consecutive days now...), planning on taking the bike out this afternoon for a very short cycle and already deciding which event I'll make my comeback event

I really need to just take it easy again and make sure the old creaking bits are really up to it! Still, it does feel good to be doing something constructive again.
2009-09-12 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

I was in a similar situation as you a few years back.  After about 5-years of my bike collecting dust and almost 9-years since doing a triathlon I weighed in at over 200 lbs! Most of my adult life I had been 150 - 160.  this was about 5-years ago.  Anyway, I made a goal to drop some weight and train for a marathon.  Took me some time but within about 6-months I had dropped to 185 and finished a spring marathon in 2004.  later that summer I cleaned up my bike and did a sprint tri.  I've been pretty consistent with training and have completed several tris over the past few years since and have dropped below 170.  One thing that has been somewhat frustrating for me, my bike and swim I feel came back to where they were fairly easily.  The run however, I just have not been able to get back close to what I was doing before.  Seems when i start feeling good and pick up the intensity I get injured. 

Anyway, my sugeestion would be just ease into things for the remainder of the year...work on your base.  The next year focus on a couple races and pick up the intensity a bit.  you'll drop the 25 lbs!  Good Luck!

2009-09-12 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
England
well the late summer sun was out today, so I dusted off my bike as well and did a 40 min easy cycle in the country lanes around my home. Was very easy and felt great, as well as burning a few calories and most importantly giving me my cycling bug back. Stupidly I've left it too late this year as the weather will be changing rapidly now but I plan to grab some warm cycling gear and make sure I get some more rides in for as long as possible.

Tomorrow to get back in the pool for my first proper swim session in 4 years...if I can crack that and enjoy it then I'm sorted. The pool is a 10min walk from my front door and open from 6.30am so I should be able to add a couple of swims per week without too much difficulty as well

Felt brilliant getting back out today, as well as getting in a total of 70 mins of easy aerobic activity. Why did I ever stop?
2009-09-12 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
I was in the same boat. I did Ironman in 2007 then took 2 years off and gained 45 pounds. I've been back at training for 8 weeks. My key to getting back into things has been to take everything slow and set goals very near in the future. My first goal is an 8k. I found the easiest 10k plan that existed and started to follow that. After the first few terrible weeks I finally feel the motivation and reward that exercise brings. I'm still way off my old fitness (light years away) but I try to keep my mind on the present rather then the past.Go slow, ease back into things, don't pressure yourself and set goals you know you can achieve. Good luck!
2009-09-12 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2402320

User image

Champion
Sydney

Bigpikle - 2009-09-13 4:54 AM well the late summer sun was out today, so I dusted off my bike as well and did a 40 min easy cycle in the country lanes around my home. Was very easy and felt great, as well as burning a few calories and most importantly giving me my cycling bug back. Stupidly I've left it too late this year as the weather will be changing rapidly now but I plan to grab some warm cycling gear and make sure I get some more rides in for as long as possible. Tomorrow to get back in the pool for my first proper swim session in 4 years...if I can crack that and enjoy it then I'm sorted. The pool is a 10min walk from my front door and open from 6.30am so I should be able to add a couple of swims per week without too much difficulty as well Felt brilliant getting back out today, as well as getting in a total of 70 mins of easy aerobic activity. Why did I ever stop?

Way to go! Never underestimate the power of some good cycling gear to get you through winter....makes ALL the difference... even if the hot shower at the end is still really appreciated

If the pools only 10mins away - go for a jog there and back to get  a bit runningin too! Two workouts in one, bonus!!!!!!

2009-09-13 3:33 AM
in reply to: #2402596

User image

Expert
England
kaqphin - 2009-09-13 1:03 AM

Bigpikle - 2009-09-13 4:54 AM well the late summer sun was out today, so I dusted off my bike as well and did a 40 min easy cycle in the country lanes around my home. Was very easy and felt great, as well as burning a few calories and most importantly giving me my cycling bug back. Stupidly I've left it too late this year as the weather will be changing rapidly now but I plan to grab some warm cycling gear and make sure I get some more rides in for as long as possible. Tomorrow to get back in the pool for my first proper swim session in 4 years...if I can crack that and enjoy it then I'm sorted. The pool is a 10min walk from my front door and open from 6.30am so I should be able to add a couple of swims per week without too much difficulty as well Felt brilliant getting back out today, as well as getting in a total of 70 mins of easy aerobic activity. Why did I ever stop?

Way to go! Never underestimate the power of some good cycling gear to get you through winter....makes ALL the difference... even if the hot shower at the end is still really appreciated

If the pools only 10mins away - go for a jog there and back to get  a bit runningin too! Two workouts in one, bonus!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. Its looking really nice again today, so the bike is coming out for another easy ride I think, then hopefully will take my son swimming and combine it with getting a few lengths in for myself.

Its getting expensive again though as I realised my bike helmet must be 6 years old and should be replaced. Oh well, will help incentivise me to keep going!
2009-09-13 4:25 AM
in reply to: #2402902

User image

Champion
Sydney

Bigpikle - 2009-09-13 6:33 PM
kaqphin - 2009-09-13 1:03 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. Its looking really nice again today, so the bike is coming out for another easy ride I think, then hopefully will take my son swimming and combine it with getting a few lengths in for myself. Its getting expensive again though as I realised my bike helmet must be 6 years old and should be replaced. Oh well, will help incentivise me to keep going!

Yup it can get a bit pricey - look around online to see what you can get thast will do the job initially for winter...

Spend the cash on a helmet... because your head is valuable so that should be prioriy number 1!

Enjoy the ride today

2009-09-13 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2402917

User image

Expert
England
43 mins ride today, but lost the sun and the wind really picked up, so it was a tough reminder of how unfit I am

Still 43 mins more aerobic activity. Off to the bike shop later for a helmet. One of the supermarket chains has a set of weekly specials, and my karma must be good, as next week is cycling gear including a reasonable range of base and middle layers as well as some nice gloves and overshoes. Will be picking over the shelves next week
2009-09-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2402331

User image

Modesto, California
Global - 2009-09-12 12:05 PM I was in the same boat. I did Ironman in 2007 then took 2 years off and gained 45 pounds. I've been back at training for 8 weeks. My key to getting back into things has been to take everything slow and set goals very near in the future. My first goal is an 8k. I found the easiest 10k plan that existed and started to follow that. After the first few terrible weeks I finally feel the motivation and reward that exercise brings. I'm still way off my old fitness (light years away) but I try to keep my mind on the present rather then the past.Go slow, ease back into things, don't pressure yourself and set goals you know you can achieve. Good luck!

After reading this, it is exactly what I would say, and I would like to add a couple of more things. Get on a training program as soon as you can, this will secure a solid foundation for your exercise routine, rest days are what you want to avoid skipping. Get a training program set up based on your goals or weaknesses,off season,swim specific,bike,etc. Then focus on nutrition around your program to loose weight and fuel your workouts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get BACK into this after 4 years? Rss Feed