General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie looking for training advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-12 6:58 AM

New user

Subject: Newbie looking for training advice
Hello,

I am looking for training advice.  I am new to tri's.  First off my initial goal is just to finish a triathlon (sprint or mini).  I am in okay shape, but could help to loose a few pounds.  I have not been running in years.  Every year to so I will take up swimming again and swim about twenty laps or so a workout (I know not much).  I do however bike a lot, and have no issues in that section.  It is however a mountain bike, but as I said I am just looking to race for now.  I am 37 if that helps.

So that said how would you advice that one should train?  For the past month I have been swimming, riding and SLOWLY running (only gotten two miles under my belt.)  Years of ice hockey have worn on my knees.  I just learned how to swim for distance.  In the past I was swimming the only way I knew how and got fatigued after only four laps.  Thanks to the folks on here they helped me learn the right way to swim.  First time (after learning the new way to swim) I got six laps and only stopped b/c my triceps were cramping.  Anyway at first I was just doing one day of each (biking, swimming, running), then I started to couple, swim then bike, bike then run, etc.

Long story short, any advice on training schedules?  I have about an hour a day during the week (two young kinds) and about two hours on Sat and Sun.

Thanks,

Mark

2009-09-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2402006

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Newbie looking for training advice

First off welcome. There are a ton of threads on this you can search.  Look at the training plan section and pick a couch to sprint (16 weeks) balenced program or whatever and follow it.  Log your workouts here, read alot and you will be fine.  The main thing is do not increase too fast.  After about a month or so you will feel really good like you can go much farther than your prescribed workout.  Don't.  Stay with your plan.  You don't want to get injured.  Things to buy.

1. maybe a tri suit
2. definately slicks for your mountain bike or possibly a road bike if you intend to stay in the sport for years
3. a race belt (but you can just pin your race number to a shirt)
4. a good pair of shoes from a run specific store that video tapes your running on a treadmill to look at how much you pronate
5. if you go into longer races you will need to learn about race specific nutrition (during the race)

Pick a race, enter it and train for it.  I hope you love it as much as I do.  I went from where you are to IM in 2 years.  You will need to watch those knees though.  Join a mentor group when they start up the next round and join some monthly challenges.  9 hours a week is plenty for a Sprint, you will probably be doing less than that, at least to start.  Typically it is 3 days of training in each sport, so you only double up 2-3 times per week. 

2009-09-12 3:00 PM

Eagle River, Alaska
Lots of training schedules around, pick a beginner schedule that you think you can stick with and just trust the plan.

Just want to encourage you, my story sounds a lot like yours.  I'm 36, two young kids, not bad shape but could loose some weight, occasional runner, rarely swam laps, and didn't own a bike.  A week after I bought a road bike to commute to work I decided I wanted to do a tri.  I found a schedule, and two months and 15 lbs later, finished my first tri, and now I'm hooked!

If I can do it, you can too! 
2009-09-12 6:32 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one in this situation.  I turn 39 in a few weeks, have been mountian biking for years and ran cross country back in HS and 2 years college.  I just enrolled in an adult learn to swim class and had the first session the other night.  I ended up doing 350 yards freestyle during the class.  It was a work out, and clearly my weak link.

I am going SLOW with the running (I am following a couch to finish line in 22 weeks) course I found on this website.  I am in week 3 and only ran once so far.  I have started and stopped running too many times over the years, thinking I was as good as I used to be (I'm not!)

My sister is a few years younger than me, 3 kids under 6 and works full time.  She has done 3 sprint tri's this summer, and motivated me to give it a shot! 

I will take any adivce from you experienced guys, and any "this did not work..." from the newbie's like myself.  GOod luck!

Edited by tmac70 2009-09-12 6:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie looking for training advice Rss Feed