General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balancing weight loss with good nutrition? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-12 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: Balancing weight loss with good nutrition?
I'm out of touch on all this, as I'm coming back from 4 years with close to no training...

I need to lose 25lbs but am also beginning to train a good bit compared to the last few years. I'm interested in advice on how to balance calorie intake to lose weight gradually, with eating enough to recover properly and stay healthy, particularly thinking about post-session eating etc?

I have a good diet (now) with lots of fresh fruit & veg, lean protein, low fat, high fibre etc. I usually have 3 (smaller) meals a day plus fruit snacks during the day and have recently cut a LOT of sweet calories from my diet. I am seeing some steady weightloss of 1-3lbs per week.

If I'm training approx 30 mins per day as I ease back into a programme, what would be a good way to ensure recovery etc but keep overall calories in deficit? Is it as simple as a piece of fruit and loads of water or a fruit smoothy immediately afterwards? Do I even need to eat after a workout at these low levels of exertion?

Thanks for some help.

2009-09-12 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2402083

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Balancing weight loss with good nutrition?
Hi! Welcome back ... good for you!

I've been reading a book called the Paleo Diet for Athletes, which is incredibly interesting. Joe Friel has had a hand in it (author of the Triathlete's Training Bible) and since I've been adhering many of the principles I have had incredible workouts and so much more energy. I highly recommend it as a read-through, even just the bits and pre- and post-workout nutrition (which has helped me enormously). I am much more aware of what I put into my body. It's not just about calories, it's about quality calories ...

Be prepared to have your current conceptions of eating challenged, though! Laughing 

Good luck!!! 
2009-09-12 11:07 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I'm in a similar situation.  Well, not that I haven't been training as I have been steadily for about the last year and a half.  I had lost 50lbs on my way to my goal weight but was laid off at the beginning of this summer which caused a move and new job which along with a minor surgery in July putting me on 3 weeks of rest I gained back 10 of those pounds.  This week I started back with logging calories (not on this site) and am determined to take of 10-15lbs before I head to Florida in December. 

It's a challenge to recognize when our bodies do truly need more calories and when we use our workouts for an excuse to eat more.  I've learned that my body does not need more calories for under an hour of exercise and even at an hour it depends on the intensity.  If I run for an hour absolutely I need something.  An hour on the bike, not so much.

The timing of my workouts usually mean that I'm eating a meal shortly thereafter anyhow but even on weekends when it may not I try to think about what I'm eating closely.  If you are eating enough calories on a daily basis you don't need to add more for exercise if you are trying to loose weight.  You might either think about timing your regularly planned snacks to be pre and/or post workout. 

As far as what to eat post workout if it's not a meal.  I choose something with both carbs and protein. Chocolate milk (with skim or light soy milk) is perfect but just a juice sized glass, not a tall one.  I've also done a small cup of plain nonfat yogurt with some fruit. 

If you track what a 30 minute workout burns a snack, especially something like a smoothie, will quickly erase any calories burned. 

Good luck, it's not an easy thing to do but it sure is fun to watch what your body can do! 
2009-09-12 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2402182

COSkiGirl - 2009-09-12 12:07 PM

It's a challenge to recognize when our bodies do truly need more calories and when we use our workouts for an excuse to eat more.

SO SO true.  Great post. 

I tend to do the same thing as mentioned above on short workout days.  More specifically, I eat a snack 1.5-2 hours prior to my workout, and then have a meal that includes some form of carb afterward (usually in the form of corn, fruit, beans, or veggies).  Sometimes my meal ends up being a protein shake + veggies, but that's just because I tend to have no appetite after evening runs in the heat.  Anyway, it definitely takes the guesswork out of recovery.

Edited by DMW 2009-09-12 11:24 AM
2009-09-12 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2402177

User image

Expert
England
CeeCee - 2009-09-12 4:59 PM

Hi! Welcome back ... good for you!

I've been reading a book called the Paleo Diet for Athletes, which is incredibly interesting. Joe Friel has had a hand in it (author of the Triathlete's Training Bible) and since I've been adhering many of the principles I have had incredible workouts and so much more energy. I highly recommend it as a read-through, even just the bits and pre- and post-workout nutrition (which has helped me enormously). I am much more aware of what I put into my body. It's not just about calories, it's about quality calories ...

Be prepared to have your current conceptions of eating challenged, though! Laughing 

Good luck!!! 

Thanks for the tip on the book - I think I'll pick up a copy of that as it looks interesting from the reviews I've read.

I am already used to a slightly lower carb diet than most, as my wife and I tend to eat a low'ish GI diet with more veg and fruit than pasta and rice etc. This Paleo diet sounds a step on from that though with no grains etc as well My big challenge is that my wife only eats chicken and fish, with no red meat or game at all, so getting more lean protein from meat will be a little challenging without cooking my own meals

Thanks for the other posts as well. I do agree about whether we 'need' or just 'want' to eat after a workout. At 30mins a session and low intensity I suspect there is littl need to take on additional calories really....
2009-09-12 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2402316

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I am loving this book, this way of eating. 10 min before my workout I have something high GI like a banana or Shot Bloks ... and then a recovery drink within the 30 min immediately after ... juice, banana, protein powder (I use hemp because I'm allergic to milk protein/whey), frozen berries. Yum. Yes, lots of lean protein. Seafood is about the best there is; particularly shellfish. High protein and low fat per calorie. I look forward to my recovery drink the whole workout, lol. You're right, at that intensity (for the moment) it may be less quantity of recovery drink, but the physiological reasons are still sound for having high GI carbs, to rebuild your glycogen and protein for your muscles to recover. Go for it!!!! (You might even increase your cooking talents, lol).

2009-09-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2402334

User image

Expert
England
thanks - ordered the book

Love shellfish...
2009-09-13 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
In addition to all the great nutrient advice recommended above, the timing and size of your meals can have profound effects for losing weight. Reducing your meals size throughout the day so your smallest meal is in the evening will prompt the body into "starvation" mode while your asleep. Going to bed with a tummy full of food can be stored energy as fat. However, cals in cals out. As long as you burn em' off, you're getting the job done and getting closer to your goal. Best of luck and keep up the greens, veggies & fruits like your already doing!

And a piece of fruit after anywork is ideal.

Great point made above about using your workouts as an exuse to consumer more. We totally overestimate cals out, and underestimate cals in. Stay focused, and don't be afraid to count cals to give yourself some perspective.   
2009-09-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2403082

User image

Lafayette, CO
Taffle - 2009-09-13 9:09 AM In addition to all the great nutrient advice recommended above, the timing and size of your meals can have profound effects for losing weight. Reducing your meals size throughout the day so your smallest meal is in the evening will prompt the body into "starvation" mode while your asleep. Going to bed with a tummy full of food can be stored energy as fat. However, cals in cals out. As long as you burn em' off, you're getting the job done and getting closer to your goal. Best of luck and keep up the greens, veggies & fruits like your already doing!

And a piece of fruit after anywork is ideal.

Great point made above about using your workouts as an exuse to consumer more. We totally overestimate cals out, and underestimate cals in. Stay focused, and don't be afraid to count cals to give yourself some perspective.   

Source? 

I agree that making sure you have a hearty, good quality breakfast can help you so that you don't eat more through the day but I disagree that eating calories in the evening makes them turn to fat. 

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v13/n12/full/oby2005257a.html

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/158/1/85

2009-09-13 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
England
I have managed to shrink each of my meals slightly, particularly evening meal, and am snacking on fruit and veg as much as possible, including after workouts.

I have a real challenge ahead though, as my work life puts me in hotels anything from 2-5 days a week, so that can present both eating and exercising obstacles. Luckily most hotels make eating a really great breakfast much easier than at home, but lunches can be fatty calorie hell and evening meals hit or miss. This is where my willpower tends to dip, as after 8-10 hours on my feet with a group, some comfort food via room service can be very appealing....

I need also to pack my gym gear and make use f any treadmills and bikes in hotel gyms, but again, not always possible. There are also some venues where a run outdoors is not an appealing (or sometimes safe) option either The next trip is next week for 3 nights away so I'll see how I do, although I know the hotel is a pretty good one for a gym and food etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balancing weight loss with good nutrition? Rss Feed