General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Economics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-12 9:53 PM

Subject: Ironman Economics
I'm getting ready to watch Ironman Wisconsin. I live with in a couple blocks of the bike course and can safely take the family by bike to watch the run course and finish downtown. It's really cool with all the energy that is there.

Every year I do this and shouldn't, but I look at the forums and blogs on local websites and read the people complain about how they hate Ironman. I shouldn't let it bother me but it really does. Most people can't seem to understand that the athletes bring in tons of money to the community and it sheds a good light on the area. All they care is that they had to wait 5 minutes to get across an intersection.

Anybody have some rough numbers of how much Ironman will bring in to a typical community? How about the police? Does the Ironman organization help cover the cost of police overtime? I would imagine most of the food and drink on the course is purchased locally?

2009-09-13 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2402782

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Ironman Economics
I think I read or heard that an IM brings in about $10 million into a community.

Have fun watching today!
2009-09-13 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
From an article about IMLP 2008:

In 2008, it is estimated that the direct spending by people from the Ironman Triathlon was over $8.9 million. This generated $693,830 in sales tax for Essex County and the state of New York.

We hear a lot of talk about "Ironman doesn't do anything for me." But $8.9 million in direct spending, translates into approximately a $50 million economic impact in our community.

How does that work? At our shop, for example, the 15 people we employee buy housing, food and entertainment in our community. We hire plumbers, accountants, electricians, lawyers and painters. We send our kids to school and pay local, state and federal taxes. We go to the dentist and the doctor. We contribute to local groups and charities. We go out for a beer and an occasional dinner. In turn, those people do the same thing, and that $8.9 million begins to turn over again and again in our community. The revenue from the Ironman benefits most of us.

Without the influx of visitors and money from the Ironman Triathlon, we believe many businesses would need fewer employees. We certainly would. Our community does not need further job losses. We need to create jobs, not turn them away.

And another about IMWI:

The Ironman Wisconsin attracts nearly 2500 athletes from around the world who do more than just swim, bike and run a combined 140.6 miles through Madison, Verona and Cross Plains. Vincent says, "They've trained for this event a whole year, so they bring up their whole family, they're here to be a part of this experience, the Ironman experience and they're not here to scrimp. They're here, they're staying in the downtown hotels, paying the big bucks, eating out, they're shopping, they're doing the whole Ironman experience."

The economic impact in Dane County is estimated between $2- $2.5 million. But, WSDC has to come up with the host fee of $100,000 to bring the event to town. A cost that's normally offset by sponsorship and donations. Vincent says, "Sponsorship is waning a little bit and now it's to a point where again it's hurting us, that we need to raise the local sponsorship awareness that this is a great event for Madison and if it's going to stay here, the city and the business leaders have to kick in and help out."

2009-09-13 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
 The people that complain about such events are most likely the same folks that try to crowd you with their car while you are riding/running. People that exercise also scare the sh-- out of these types and tend to make them feel inferior, sooooooooo what do they do? They lash out at the positive minded/driven individuals that are accomplishing something beyond their wildest dreams. The positive economic impact on their community is not relevant to them as they are probably a drain on the area themselves.
 That or maybe some triathlete stole their SO.Surprised

Edited by mdg2003 2009-09-13 9:13 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Economics Rss Feed