Blue Sky Sports
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 46s
Overall Rank = 451/474
Age Group = Male Novice
Age Group Rank = 46/49
Pre-race routine:

Got there in plenty of time after a good night's sleep, and waited for the race to start with Hawkeye and his lovely wife, Sara. With the help of the kind folks around me on rack 30-35, talked a bunch of my nervousness out by hearing everyone else's stories.
Event warmup:

No warmup.
Swim
  • 19m 9s
  • 600 meters
  • 03m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

First open water swim experience, and first traffic experience. I had no idea what I was doing. The good news is that my arms weren't tired leaving the water. The bad news is that my arms weren't tired leaving the water. I just couldn't get stroking because of traffic and navigation issues. I walked up the hill, too, because my feet are soft in the beginning of the summer.
What would you do differently?:

I need to learn to swim 'through' traffic, rather than trying to wait for open water. Also, I definitely need to work on swimming a straight line, both for myself and for the others around me.
Transition 1
  • 05m 43s
Comments:

Um, well, you see, I did beat the 84 year-old gentleman with osteoarthritis in this transition (really), but that's it, 496/497 for time. I didn't practice this at all, and everything that I could do badly I did badly. For example, I couldn't find my bike, I spent forever trying to get my bike jersey over wet head and skin, I had left my gloves very carefully on my handlebars INSIDE OUT, my chin strap was too tight because I had used it to hold my jersey in my helmet, and I had left my shoes tied because I had just slipped out of them before the race. Who says I was nervous?

Almost everything. I'm still going to stick with cages and pedals on the bike for a while longer, so I'm expecting to have slow T1 times. That said, I can speed up everything else. I'm going to try a tri-suit, I'm going to check my equipment more carefully, and I may even practice a transition or two.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 11s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 12.16 mile/hr
Comments:

So, well, I just bought a bike a month ago because I assumed that would be the easy part. This was miles 60-73 on the odomoter, and I got what I deserved. That 84 year old I mention above, he finished the bike faster than I did (really). I think some of it is just confidence, though, I was scared going down the hills, and spent a lot of time on the brakes. I'm still occasionally walking the big hills, but I'm getting closer to cresting them. This was a really dispiriting experience though, complete with a nasty leg cramp and lots of questions about who I thought I was kidding for giving it a try.

Keep training, this will come together eventually.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I was basically already wearing my running outfit, so it was just a matter of finding my spot, taking off my stuff, grabbing a drink, and heading out. Oh yeah, and telling myself "Don't quit" over and over again until I was actually committed to the run.

I just need to get comfortable with the experience, and figure out what can be thrown where and what needs to be more carefully handled.
Run
  • 33m 33s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 43s  min/km
Comments:

It's hard to tell here what was just being beaten down by the day and what was actual triathlon leg exhaustion (I normally run a 50 minute 10K). There was an awful lot of walking and talking, including to the 84 year-old guy (John Taylor), as I finally passed him for good. Hawkeye met me at the end of the last hill, and kindly jogged me home to the enthusiastic cheers of Whit's posse.

It's hard to do something badly. I need to learn to reset my spirit at the beginning of each leg, so that I run to my potential even from the back of the pack.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, bananas, waiting for the results, and then breaking into the cooler in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. There are no free lunches.

Event comments:

I've completed my first traithlon (woohoo!), and I'm ready for more. I need more time to train (dang job) and a smarter race strategy, which I think will come with experience. I started last before in running, and I know that it just leaves me more victories ahead of me as I break two hours, pass people on a leg, get a good transition, etc., etc. Two quotes seem appropriate:

“A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.”
- G.K. Chesterton

And, one of my favorites:

"Use what talents you have; the woods would have little music if no birds sang their song except those who sang best."
- Reverend Oliver G. Wilson

Thanks to all those who got me here, and didn't laugh at me as I raised my arms in victory an hour after the first finishers. I'll see y'all at Mistletoe.

Last updated: 2005-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:09 | 600 meters | 03m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/474
Performance: Below average
Suit: Just my tri-shorts
Course: Long clockwise triangle, almost out-and-back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:43
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:03:11 | 12.8 miles | 12.16 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops of spiked hills - http://www.tribluesky.com/Course20.jpg
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:33 | 05 kms | 06m 43s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Trails, grass, and a few paved hills (why don't race directors put more explicit run descriptions on their site? A picture or two would have been worth a thousand words).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-20 2:24 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo

2005-05-22 6:49 PM
in reply to: #160724

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo
Congrats on your first tri...Sounds like you had fun at any rate....Keep tri-ing ---I bet you are hooked already tho.  Get some more miles on that bike and you willbe fine...also speed laces or Yankz are wonderful things and you will never have to tie those shoes again... Take care- SMO
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo Rss Feed