General Discussion Triathlon Talk » the day after..? & off season training ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-14 6:32 AM

Subject: the day after..? & off season training ???
So, I feel pretty good today, the day after my first race (which makes me think I should have pushed harder - oh well).  Anyway - what kind of workouts do you do after a sprint race?

I think I'm going to do a nice smooth swim.  Do you resume regular training?  WHat about winter training?  I'm done with races until next season - so I'm thinking about an off season schedule. Maybe focusing more on running as that is definately my weakest leg (so to speak).Wink

2009-09-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2404446

Subject: RE: the day after..? & off season training ???
Glad to hear that you are feeling good today.  I, however, feel like someone beat my legs with a baseball bat.  I'm going to take this week off and then start a winter maintenance plan (3 swims, 2 bikes, 4 runs, 3 days lifting).  Good luck with your training!
2009-09-14 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
swmr2tri - 2009-09-14 4:32 AM So, I feel pretty good today, the day after my first race (which makes me think I should have pushed harder - oh well).  Anyway - what kind of workouts do you do after a sprint race?

I think I'm going to do a nice smooth swim.  Do you resume regular training?  WHat about winter training?  I'm done with races until next season - so I'm thinking about an off season schedule. Maybe focusing more on running as that is definately my weakest leg (so to speak).Wink

When is your next race? Work it backwards from there. My last race this year is Nov 1, and then a 1/2 mary in Jan. December I start the 100/100 (It's a running challenge on another forum), the goal is 100 runs in 100 days. I'll keep the biking up, probably 3x week.

I'm a former swimmer, so it doesn't take much to get back into swimming shape, I'll probably do 1x week swimming in the off season this year.

Spend a month or two doing a "focus" on your two weakest sports, and time it so that you can start your balanced workouts/rampup 3-4 (12-20 weeks) from your first race. Also, pick your A race for the season and plan your workouts to that point, that way you know if the sprint in the early season should be an A, B or C type of race.

John
2009-09-14 11:07 AM

So the A race is the one you want to invest the most in? 

I think I'm going to do a sprint in the beginning of July, an annual 1.2 mi OWS fundraiser at the end of July and the same sprint I just did in Sept.  I'd like to find a Oly too, I think.   I downloaded a half marathon training program with a lot of cross training days that spans 12 weeks, I thought if I doubled each week and stretched it out to 24 weeks, that would take me through the winter and put me in good place for an Oly.  I think I'd like to make next year's title 9 race my A race so that I can improve my time. Does that make sense or should my A race be the OLY since it's longer?

I've never been a winter runner before, so I'm not sure how that's going to work in New England (brrrr).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » the day after..? & off season training ??? Rss Feed