General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Spring Classic Formula One Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rochester Spring Classic Formula One - F-1 Duathlon

View Member's Race Log
Mendon, NY
United States
YellowJacket Racing
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 52s
Overall Rank = 35/93
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

awake at 6:30, Banana, water, ran through my checklist, loaded the gear and I was off.
Event warmup:

jog about .5 mile
Run
  • 14m 55s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
What would you do differently?:

Nada
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Gotta work on this. I really gotta work on this.

Run quicker with the bike, mount smoother and learn to pedal/clip in with something approaching efficiency.
Bike
  • 60m 23s
  • 20 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't water down the Gatorade in my bottle. It was WAY too strong. A few sips and my stomach sternly advised against putting any more of THAT down my gullet, thanks.

AG rank of 9.5 as I was 10th on Bike 1 and 9th on Bike 2.

Work on shifting on very hilly courses. The constant changes in elevation and attitude made gear changes a significant tactical issue.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

These transitions (bike to run) were ok. It was a big downhill into the transition area and the dismount line was immediately in front of the entrance, so there was no jumping off a moving bike by anyone. I ran well with the bike, but slipped at the rack and almost fell on my chamois in T4. One lady thought that was pretty funny. So did I. :)

My shoe exchange was efficient enough. I ran well coming out. I just realized that I didn't have any problems getting my running legs off the bike. They felt fine.
Run
  • 23m 34s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Run 2 rank was 7, Run 3 rank was 9.
The last one just plain hurt going up hill.

I'm good with this. It gives me confidence in what I might do on a flat road later in the season.
Transition 3
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 4
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 2 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Hang with Julie and the girls. Walk around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall conditioning.

Event comments:

I beat my goal time of 1'54" by over 11 minutes. This was a formula 1 duathlon: R 2miles - B 10miles - Run 1 mile - Bike 10 miles - Run 2 miles. There was a Super Sprint also which was the first 3 legs only.

I combined the 2 bike legs and the last 2 run legs on the report. Also, the transitions weren't reported seperately, they were incorporated into the last 4 legs. I counted each as one minute (averaged out that's probably about right) and subtracted the time from the bike and runs. I'm happy with the splits.

Age group: I define MOP.
Overall: FOMOP.
Given the general level of the competitors at this race, I'm thrilled with my standings. Given were I was last year in May, and the challenge of this course, I'm ecstatic with my performance today.

Once again, hills are my friend. After the initial thinning out, when I passed someone who stayed passed, it was on a hill. This applied to both going up and down. Going up, I was able to maintain a steady strong cadence on the bike, and good leg turnover on the runs. I'm also really surprised at the number of people who don't lean into the downhills and take advantage of the free speed. I passed at least 8 people doing this.
I was also never passed going uphill.

There was one annoyance, a guy who passed me on the right on the bike without a word just as I was about to pull over. There was a pack blocking and this guy just fit between me and the edge of the road next to a 6 foot drop into trees at 20 mph. We both could have been seriously injured if I had turned into him.

There were also some serious pelotons. I avoided them. I'm racing the course and myself. Getting in a peloton makes my bike splits meaningless.

I'm happy with my performance, it'll probably be MOP overall and BOP for my age group, but the Formula One attracts some real heavy hitters and I'm told it's much more competitive than the Sprint.

The best thing about the race was being surprised by Julie and the girls at the finish line. I wasn't expecting them. That just completely made my day.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:55 | 02 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 0/93
Performance: Average
Course: Trail run. Fairly hilly, there were very few flats. The grades weren't too bad, except for one part at the very end of this loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:60:23 | 20 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/15
Performance: Good
This was 2 legs @ 10 miles each, broken up by a 1 mile run
Wind: None
Course: It's Mendon. It's hills. Nothing huge or incredibly steep, but there was a lot of up and down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:34 | 03 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/15
Performance: Average
This was actually 2 legs, a 1 mile and a 2 mile.
Course: The 1 mile was a mod of the first 2 mile leg, the 2nd 2 mile was the same as the first.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T3
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T4
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Running
00:00:00 | 02 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-21 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Rochester Spring Classic Formula One

2005-05-26 9:56 PM
in reply to: #161025

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Rochester Spring Classic Formula One
Awesome race Mike!! That's a great picture of you and the kiddos

-Frank
2005-05-29 11:54 AM
in reply to: #161025

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Rochester Spring Classic Formula One

Congratulations on a great race.  Very consistent min/mile on all run splits!  Great bike average too.

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Spring Classic Formula One Rss Feed