General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gaining strength/speed in the off season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-15 11:03 AM

Subject: Gaining strength/speed in the off season
This may be more a question for the seasoned triatletes. Appears to me that much of the off season advice is to go slow, low HR, build a good foundation and then work on improving speed. But I am also starting to see programs out there that focus primarily on building speed/pace in the off season and then adding distance as the season approaches.
Can anyone weigh in on what they are doing and is the latter approach a bad idea?

2009-09-15 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2407266

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Gaining strength/speed in the off season
First, welcome to BT.

There is no definitive answer to your question as multiple approaches can be shown to be successful.  A lot of it depends on your abilities and previous training habits and your specific goals for the next season not too mention your race schedule.  If you have an early season A race, you are going to have to hit it hard in the winter to peak well.  If not, then going long/slow may be of more benefit to some.

In other words, there is not a real answer that will help you to decide what will work best for all the variables involved in your own specific training.
2009-09-15 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2407277

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Gaining strength/speed in the off season
what rick said.

however, just for a bit more info, this is what i believe to be the most effective for ME, and many living in areas with a real winter.

the run: should not really be weather effected. lots of easy running through the fall winter.
swim: weather does not change at all. through the fall is more of a back off and then build into maintenence mode, few times a week, short swims, 1000-2000 yards, no more. shorter main sets. just get used to swimming again, real workouts start up after new years.
bike: fall is just getting in some riding as i feel like it, 1 or 2 days a week. noting structured. as winter rolls around, outdoor rides as i can, just used for distance, indoor or mountain bike in the snow, are shorter harder threshold building intervals.

as the weather starts getting nice enough/roads clear enough, i will start lengthening out my riding to acomadate this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gaining strength/speed in the off season Rss Feed