General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which bike parts to upgrade? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-15 4:09 PM

Subject: Which bike parts to upgrade?
My heavy Nishiki Olympic (POS) bike probably should be scraped, however, as a teacher I don't have the funds for a $750 new road bike, much less a $1,500 tri bike. Adding $200 to the bike to upgrade it year after year what are suggestions for moving myself more efficiently through the pack for priority purchases?
Wheels?
Gears?
Frame?
Other?

2009-09-15 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2408066

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Which bike parts to upgrade?
2009-09-15 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2408073

User image

Sensei
Sin City

As bear said, the engine is the most critical part.  But since I know what you are REALLY asking...

Not knowing the condition of what you are using and if everything is in working order, most people will tell you that getting clipless pedals is the most important thing you can BUY to improve you machine.

Many would then say getting your bike properly fit for you to get the most out of it.

Then maybe aero bars.

Unless items are broken or don't work that well, replaceing them will have minimum impact to your bike, IMO.

2009-09-15 4:30 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
clipless pedals.
Correctly fit to bike
A comfortable saddle for spending plenty of time working on the engine.

beyond that... replace the wiring/chain and get it oiled up / tune up if you haven't in a while.
2009-09-15 5:19 PM

Aero-bars, bike fit, aero helmet, race wheels. In that order.
2009-09-15 5:33 PM

User image

Raleigh
as others mentioned YOU are the most important part of the bike but upgrading the parts may make your life on the bike easier but it will cost you.

without looking at the bike and seeing what the various conditions of the parts are here is my quick list of what to look at and see what you think would be best/ cheapest/ easier to upgrade.

tires - 23mm wide (if you have 28mm you have a lot more friction/ traction than you need) $50 a tire
rims - aero & bladed would be great but kinda low on the list of priority IMO and will cost you around $350 used
frame - aero & lighter is better but again it aint cheap and can easily cost you from $500 - $1000 for a entry level new frame (it can get to $2500 in no time.)
drivetrain (deraileurs, crank, BB, & cassette)- you will most likely have to upgrade several components at once due to compatibility issues but aim as high as you can afford. i use shimano ultegra SL and wouldn't go much lower than ultegra (or comparable campy or sram). simple smooth shifting will make your life easier. a full Shimano Ultegra gruppo (10pc) can cost upwards and over $1000

keep in mind that by upgrading individual components will be very expensive. buying a whole bike is almost always cheaper because the bike (frame) manufacturer gets bulk deals and passes on the savings.

hope this helps.

2009-09-15 7:10 PM

2009-09-15 7:25 PM

I would echo a lot of what has been said already. Clipless pedals are a must the "engine" everyone has mentioned works way better when it can apply force through the whole pedal stroke.If your current ride has an older groupo, particularly one from before indexed shifting, but also anything with downtube shifters I really think you will be much better served by saving up for a new road bike with new integrated brake/shift levers. If that is absolutely not an option check with your lbs about a rebuild/tune. Anything 10+ years old probably needs bearings repacked and a lot of work you don't want to do.
2009-09-19 3:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Hey jdarkow,

we must be related - I am also a teacher, riding a 1985 Nishiki Olympic
Similar budget constraints

I replaced the stock (pos) seat (a rockhard and round Vetta) with a slightly nicer Bontrager that I got when someone had upgraded....$10
Used clipless Look pedals, with cleats....$5  (the old Vittoria shoes I had from my 1980s university days)

Next up would be thinner profile tires...it still has the 27" rims with 1 and 1/8 inch tires.Those are  wider than  700C 23 or 25

If I were in your shoes, I would work on your engine, as mentioned. Save the money for a couple years and then look for a replacement, either new or used. If you are able and willing to get your hands dirty, then that might change things.... You could look for used parts and upgrade - You have likely learned (as I have through this website) that triathletes like to spend money 
As they upgrade, a bonanza of parts becomes inexpensively available!

kt

2009-09-28 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2414912

Thanks!
I think I will save my money and buy a new or gently used bike in a few years. I will definately pick up a pair of clipless pedals/shoes for christmasSurprised. I have a trail marathon in a month so after that I'll work on my engine more. My biking is usually touring, so averaging 20-24 mph is currently unfathomable!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which bike parts to upgrade? Rss Feed