General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training help please!! (newbie) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-17 1:21 PM

User image

Sterling, VA
Subject: Strength training help please!! (newbie)
Ok, I have to admit that I get a bit overwhelmed at my gym's strength training equipment.  I mean, seriously, they can't expect me to use all those machines!! 

I'm extremely new to the triathlon arena, and I'm kind of wondering if you guys can help me figure out what is most important in strength training.

I usually take Tuesday and Thursday mornings to do my strength training.  Is 2x a week good?  Which machines are most important to help me improve in my swimming, biking, and running?  I especially need to improve my swimming.  I've realized that some of the machines seem to work the same muscles and I didn't know if I can just choose one of those or if I need to do all of them.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me...hope my questions make sense!  : )

2009-09-17 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2412078

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Strength training help please!! (newbie)
leahsings - 2009-09-17 11:21 AM Ok, I have to admit that I get a bit overwhelmed at my gym's strength training equipment.  I mean, seriously, they can't expect me to use all those machines!! 

I'm extremely new to the triathlon arena, and I'm kind of wondering if you guys can help me figure out what is most important in strength training.

I usually take Tuesday and Thursday mornings to do my strength training.  Is 2x a week good?  Which machines are most important to help me improve in my swimming, biking, and running?  I especially need to improve my swimming.  I've realized that some of the machines seem to work the same muscles and I didn't know if I can just choose one of those or if I need to do all of them.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me...hope my questions make sense!  : )

Whats most important is that you dont get hurt using the equipment, not knowing how to use it should be an excuse to bother the people that work there. Using the equipment properly can multiply results,also every piece of equipmnt can be minipulated by changing a grip or body position or movement to isolate different muscles. Since the information about workouts,types,reps,sets is overwhelming you may find the best avenue is to look into using a trainer for a few sessions, they would be in a better position to recommend a workout based on your needs and available equipment. I would start there,most memberships have a courtesy trainer session, doesnt hurt to ask!
2009-09-17 1:59 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-17 2:17 PM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
If you really need to improve your swimming then swimming is the best way to work on that.  The closer you get to mimicking the movments in the individual sport, the more likely there will be some benefit (versus doing nothing).  So some strength training exercises will be better than others, but still not as good as actually doing whatever it is you are trying to do.

So, the short answer is that you probably don't need to use your gym's strength training equipment at all for triathlons.  If you want to do strength training as part of your overall fitness regimen, then you should probably find someone to show you how to use the equipment properly and set up a balanced mix of exercises.
2009-09-17 2:31 PM

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
Personally, I'd recommend using none of the machines! All you need is a barbell, a bench, a power rack, and weights. Oh, and the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It's a fantastic book that discusses the core barbell exercises (Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Pull-ups, and various assistance exercises) and how to do them with proper form. You can also go to Youtube and put in "Squat technique" or something like that to see the movement demonstrated.

If you can't do pull-ups or dips, you can always use the assisted pull-ups/dips machine until you get there.

Keep it simple!!!

Edit:  Oh, and I definitely agree with those that say the way to get better at swimming is to swim more, etc.

Edited by ScoopJackson 2009-09-17 2:39 PM
2009-09-17 4:13 PM

Veteran
Hi!

It's easy to be overwhelmed by the variety of equipment at a gym.  There certainly is a lot.

I can give you my advice, but keep in mind, I'm new to triathlons as well.  My background is more in running then any of the other two sports.

First, think about the race.  1/3 is in the water, 1/3 is on a bike and 1/3 is running.  Now, think about what part of your body you're using on each leg.  Water - your core and your shoulders/back/arms.  Bike - Legs and core.  Running - Legs and core.  So, in terms of what is more important:

1. Core
2. Legs
3. Shoulders/Back/Arms.

You need to train all 3, but you probably want to approach your strength training with that in mind.

Twice a week is perfectly fine.

In terms of what exercises - this is what I do:  I plan my weight training so that I focus on the part of my body that I'm NOT going to be using for my endurance training.  For example, I'd try to avoid doing legs the day before a distance/interval run.

In terms of machines, I'd stick to free weights with the exceptions of lat pull down machine, assisted pull-up/dip machine, and cable machine.  The reason why is that most machines prevent your body from incorporating your core into the exercise.  There's a variety of reasons why this isn't desirable, but for the most part, it's just more efficient for someone who runs, swims, and bikes to exercise their core.

Here is what I would recommend to someone completely new strength training:

1.  Push-ups

2.  Planks/Crunches on the Swiss Ball/Bicycle Kicks

3.  Lunges and Walking Lunges.  Start out without weights and if you can complete a set without balance issues, pick up some dumbbells!

4.  Body Weight Squats - Your goal should be to move onto barbell squats at some point, but there is virtually no point in doing a barbell squat if your form isn't correct.  The nice thing about body weight squats is that they're still hard (try to do 30 in a row quickly without rest and you'll see what I mean) and it provides you an opportunity to perfect your form without the added risk of bearing additional weight.

5. Lat Pull Downs/Assisted Pull-Ups

6. Dumbbell Chest Presses  (Same as bench press, but with dumbbells)

Regarding your "working the same muscle question" that's probably too complicated for me to answer.  As I understand it, you GENERALLY want to start with exercises that incorporate multiple, larger muscles and then move onto exercise that isolate fewer and smaller muscles.  I also know that this approach also depends on the kind of weight training your doing.

For example - I start with plyometrics (when you see someone hopping around like a nut in the gym, they're probably doing these - don't worry about them for now) then squats - after a warm up set - then finally to walking lunges/split lunges.  I also occasionally end with this really, REALLY embarrassing waddle squat exercise.  Don't ask.  They're as fantastic as they're shaming.

Someone already mentioned the book, Starting Strength.  I would also recommend it.  I'd also recommend a trainer when you decide to move on to the more intimidating exercises like squats and deadlifts if you don't have a friend that knows about this stuff to help you.

Edited by Johners 2009-09-17 4:19 PM

2009-09-17 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2412250

Veteran
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-17 2:17 PM If you really need to improve your swimming then swimming is the best way to work on that.  The closer you get to mimicking the movments in the individual sport, the more likely there will be some benefit (versus doing nothing).  So some strength training exercises will be better than others, but still not as good as actually doing whatever it is you are trying to do.

So, the short answer is that you probably don't need to use your gym's strength training equipment at all for triathlons.  If you want to do strength training as part of your overall fitness regimen, then you should probably find someone to show you how to use the equipment properly and set up a balanced mix of exercises.

This more than anything else.  Strength training will improve performance by making the muscles stronger, but to a certain extent swimming, biking, and running ARE weight baring exercises and you simply can't expect to become a better runner,swimmer, or biker without doing a lot of running, swimming, and biking.

That said, you STILL want to do some strength training.  One thing you'll notice, if you haven't already, is that endurance training leaves you hungry.  A lot and frequently.  You body turns into a calorie burning machine - which is why it's SO IMPORTANT TO EAT ENOUGH OF THE RIGHT KINDS OF FOOD.  However, even eating the appropriate amount of food, your body is still going to freak out whenever you do an endurance session.  When I do my intervals, I can burn anywhere between 400 to 800 calories or more.  That is a lot of energy to burn in a relatively short amount of time, and it has to come from somewhere.  Basically, your body decides that it needs energy, and it's going to get its energy from the best, most efficient source - your muscle.  (Does it bother anyone else that we are biologically predisposed to metabolize muscle before fat in 'crisis' situations?)

Endurance training without ancillary strength training can, and frequently will, result in muscle loss and this can be a problem if your goal is to lose fat.  Furthermore, there's going to point where you arrive at the maximum about of power your muscles can give you before you need to add more 'engine' to the equation.

Edited by Johners 2009-09-17 4:31 PM
2009-09-17 6:51 PM

Sterling, VA
Wow, you guys have been SOOO helpful!!!  I actually have a lot of experience with free weights and things like lunges, squats, pushups, planks, etc. from when I was a cheerleader in HS.  I'll just incorporate those things into my workouts and then just keep swimming, biking, and running to improve those areas.

Thanks again for all your help, I REALLY appreciate it!!!  : )
2009-09-18 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2412536

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Johners - 2009-09-17 5:30 PM
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-17 2:17 PM If you really need to improve your swimming then swimming is the best way to work on that.  The closer you get to mimicking the movments in the individual sport, the more likely there will be some benefit (versus doing nothing).  So some strength training exercises will be better than others, but still not as good as actually doing whatever it is you are trying to do.

This more than anything else.  Strength training will improve performance by making the muscles stronger, but to a certain extent swimming, biking, and running ARE weight baring exercises and you simply can't expect to become a better runner,swimmer, or biker without doing a lot of running, swimming, and biking.

That said, you STILL want to do some strength training.  One thing you'll notice, if you haven't already, is that endurance training leaves you hungry.  A lot and frequently.  You body turns into a calorie burning machine - which is why it's SO IMPORTANT TO EAT ENOUGH OF THE RIGHT KINDS OF FOOD.  However, even eating the appropriate amount of food, your body is still going to freak out whenever you do an endurance session.  When I do my intervals, I can burn anywhere between 400 to 800 calories or more.  That is a lot of energy to burn in a relatively short amount of time, and it has to come from somewhere.  Basically, your body decides that it needs energy, and it's going to get its energy from the best, most efficient source - your muscle.  (Does it bother anyone else that we are biologically predisposed to metabolize muscle before fat in 'crisis' situations?)

Endurance training without ancillary strength training can, and frequently will, result in muscle loss and this can be a problem if your goal is to lose fat.  Furthermore, there's going to point where you arrive at the maximum about of power your muscles can give you before you need to add more 'engine' to the equation.

There is so much  mis-information here, I don't know where to start...
2009-09-18 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2413798

Modesto, California
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-18 9:32 AM
Johners - 2009-09-17 5:30 PM

There is so much  mis-information here, I don't know where to start...

about the swimming is weight baring, or that muscles equal better performance,or that endurance training canabilizes muscle,or that..................
2009-09-18 12:32 PM

Veteran
How embarrassing - particularly about swimming being weight barring. 

Thank you for identifying my errors.  I'd be interested where I can get the proper information.

Please disregard what I said, Leahsings, since I'm clearly not a reliable source of information.  I'll break out the chalk and write something to that effect 100 times.

2009-09-18 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2413937

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Sorry.  I shouldn't have ended my post there.

Endurance exercise doesn't cause a loss in muscle.  Not using a muscle will cause 'loss'.  When you swim, bike, and run, you will maintain/build the muscles you need/use for swimming, biking, and running.  However, you will 'lose' other 'unnecessary' muscles unless you use them for something as well.  If those muscles are important to you for some reason, then you should work them--either with strength training or by doing some other activity that does use them.

You can lose plenty of fat by endurance training.  I can guarantee you that I burn more far more fat in my long endurance sessions than you can in your strength training sessions (and, yes, this includes any 'after-burn' effects you might like to account for).

Finally, if you swim, bike and run then you will likely be able to build all the 'engine' you need.  Triathlon is not a 'power-limited' sport.  It is an endurance-limited one.

I don't mean to say that you shouldn't do strength training for a laundry list of valid reasons (both health and 'vanity').  But performance in triathlon should be WAY down the list as there is no evidence that it helps in most endurance endeavors.  And most people will be far better off by doing the three sports a little more versus doing even a little strength training (again, purely from a triathlon performance viewpoint and not taking into other health/body image/activity goals).

I would have let the swimming being weight bearing slide as an oversight. 

2009-09-18 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2413985

Elite
Denver, Colorado
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-18 12:51 PM

Endurance exercise doesn't cause a loss in muscle.  Not using a muscle will cause 'loss'.  When you swim, bike, and run, you will maintain/build the muscles you need/use for swimming, biking, and running.  However, you will 'lose' other 'unnecessary' muscles unless you use them for something as well.  If those muscles are important to you for some reason, then you should work them--either with strength training or by doing some other activity that does use them.

Not to nitpick, but losing "unnecessary muscle" is still losing muscle. However, this is generally accurate. Another thing that happens with endurance training is that some of the faster twitch muscle fibers take on the characteristics of slow twitch fibers. The result is a loss in maximal strength but a gain in muscle endurance or endurance-strength as it is sometimes called. None of this is generally all that bad if the goal is better endurance performance. And any lost strength is regained fairly quickly, surprisingly so, if endurance training is dropped and pure strength training is resumed. I've noticed this in myself as I've taken a break from tris and have resumed hard strength training. But my understanding is that I'm still welcome around here because I give some pretty good insight for those who want to do strength training.

You can lose plenty of fat by endurance training.  I can guarantee you that I burn more far more fat in my long endurance sessions than you can in your strength training sessions (and, yes, this includes any 'after-burn' effects you might like to account for).

If calories expended > calories consumed, you have fat loss. It's that simple. It is possible, and very easily so, to out-eat your exercise program such that you end up gaining weight while exercising like an insane person. I hate counting calories as much as the next person, probably more so, but that is what is needed.

Finally, if you swim, bike and run then you will likely be able to build all the 'engine' you need.  Triathlon is not a 'power-limited' sport.  It is an endurance-limited one.

I don't mean to say that you shouldn't do strength training for a laundry list of valid reasons (both health and 'vanity').  But performance in triathlon should be WAY down the list as there is no evidence that it helps in most endurance endeavors.  And most people will be far better off by doing the three sports a little more versus doing even a little strength training (again, purely from a triathlon performance viewpoint and not taking into other health/body image/activity goals).

I'm an avid lifter (I'm taking a break from tris to do some Olympic lifting in the geezer, er, I mean, Masters leagues) and I'm also a geek, which means I read research studies and stuff like that on strength training (as opposed to the guy at the gym with the multiple tattoos and piercings who screams and yells). Based on my research and personal experience I can say with certainty that weight training may or may not improve endurance performance. How's that for an answer? The reality is, no one knows. But here's the thing - everyone who is able to do weight training should do weight training. There are many benefits to it. Now, if you're on the verge of winning your age group, then feel free to drop weight training and focus on swim/bike/run and get your age group medal. But if you're in this for "fun and health," then you should weight train.
2009-09-19 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2414509

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Wow, Mike.  That was a long-winded way of basically agreeing with everything I wrote. 

At least until the "everyone should do weight training".  That is your opinion.  And I respect it, but disagree with it.
2009-09-20 1:31 AM

New user

Take it from a fitness professional, to be an athlete of this or any caliber, you have to train your entire body. Do not negelect the smaller muscles or you will end up with an asymetry. I have a blog dedicated to those who, like yourself, are feeling their way through the gym. There you can post responses or ask me questions. www.personaltrainingforlife.com .

To answer your question would take a far more indepth reply as there is so much to know to navigate safely through a strength training routine. It is so easy to hurt yourself if you don't know proper form and technique. Machines are safer than free weights if you are not sure what to do. They will at least teach you basic movement patterns for a particular exercise and form there you can progress to free weights. Just keep it light in the beginning. choose a weight that you can do comfortably for 12-15 reps. By the end of the set you should feel mild fatigue while able to hold your form.

I use a push/pull routine. One day do all pushing muscles ex. chest, quads, and triceps. On a pull day would be back, biceps, hamstrings and shoulders. This is just a basic template mind, you as there are many other muscles in the body. Not to mention core training, which would be the most important part of your training, everything revolves around your core. Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training help please!! (newbie) Rss Feed