General Discussion Race Reports! » Terre Haute Triathlon - Thunder in the Valley Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Terre Haute Triathlon - Thunder in the Valley - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Terre Haute, Indiana
United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 21s
Overall Rank = 70/350
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0430 and headed straight for the shower to help wake me up. Had all my gear and bike ready to roll and double checked night before. Out the door and headed for breakfast by a little before 0500. Had french toast, hashbrowns and milk for breakfast. Could have done w/o the last pc of french toast(felt it the entire race). Headed for the race and checked in by 0620. Headed for the transition, found a spot and went st to bodymarking since the line was short. Got everything set up and gear triple checked.

Course preview was the day before after I picked up my packet. Had time to drive the bike course and felt that was helpful. Also, checked out the swim course.

By 0730, was in my wetsuit and headed to the water for a swim warmup.
Event warmup:

After getting my transition area setup, went for a 15 minute jog and then did a little stretching after. Cooled off enough to get my wetsuit on and headed for the water to warm up and stretch my upper body out. Only swam about 200m then stretch. Spent a few minutes w/ my family and girls and headed to the swim start for a good position.
Swim
  • 08m 57s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swam first 100-200 meters faster than usual to try and get out ahead of the pack. That got me nice and out of breath and out of sync. Worst case of human pinball I've ever had. Didn't really hit a rhythm until final stretch. Think I was at least in top ten out of the water in my wave of 30-39 yo men.
What would you do differently?:

Train more with a fast start then try to settle in to my pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

A little longer getting out of my wetsuit than I had hoped. Also, started down the wrong row when I first got into T1. O/w it was a good transition. Had gels preloaded in my pockets and that worked out good.

Sit rather than try and stand to remove wetsuit. Go without wetsuit whenever possible.
Bike
  • 1h 05m
  • 24 miles
  • 22.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a PR time for me. Have not raced with an avg speed of over 22 before. Felt strong and rested. Was playing a bit of cat and mouse with a guy on the initial flats, but as soon as we hit the rollers and hill, he dropped off.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Couln't find my bag! Was in the right row and it was right in front of me. But I was racing fast enough that there were no bikes in my entire area that were back. I kept looking for my black bag and there were black bags everywhere! My wife finally yelled, "It's right in front of you". Whew.

Brt orange tape to mark my spot!
Run
  • 39m
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Within 12 minutes of getting off the bike, the flood gates opened! People began passing me w/ frequency. More towards the last 2 1/2 miles. Not because I slowed, they were just catching up w/ me. It was a PR for me but still frustrating to be so far out ahead and have so many pass me on the run. I am, however, 2 minutes/mi faster than last years oly run splits!

Nothing except continue to work on my running speed. It's getting faster, albeit SLOWLY! I think, however, I will add some longer bricks on my long bike day.
Post race
Warm down:

Fluids, banana, stretch, cool off in hotel pool, then hot tub, then HUGE lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing except being new to running.

Event comments:

I was a little disappointed with the mile markings on the run. I wasn't ever able to figure out my splits b/c they were so poorly marked. Otherwise, would do this race again.

Last updated: 2005-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:57 | 800 meters | 01m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 33/350
Performance: Good
Think it was more like 600 meters. No way I can swim an 800 in under nine minutes.
Suit: Promotion
Course: rectangle of sorts. swam clockwise. finish had a HUGE blow up beer bottle to sight on the final stretch. Now that brought us home.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:00 | 24 miles | 22.15 mile/hr
Overall: 52/350
Previewing the course the night before was a big help. I knew what to expect and when. I was able to meter my efforts a bit better.
Wind: Little
Course: 75% flat w/ the other 25% mod rollers with only one long climb. No out of the seat required and minimal to no shifting needed on the rollers. Overall, it was a course set for some good speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:00 | 05 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 120/350
Course: A mixture of grass/trails/gravel and paved trails. Mostly, paved trails. Actually a nice run. Was an out and back w/ small finishing loop around a lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-22 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: Terre Haute Triathlon - Thunder in the Valley

2005-05-23 6:50 AM
in reply to: #161515

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Terre Haute Triathlon - Thunder in the Valley

Those were some impressive times for EACH discipline.  And improving by 2 min/mile is unheard of!  Great job.

Sharon

2005-05-23 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

Congrats on the Bike and Run PRs! The swim time doesn't suck either - nice race!

2005-05-23 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Hey thanks for the atta boys! Don't be to impressed with the swim, there is no way it was 800 meters.
2005-05-24 5:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
A bit slow off the mark here, sorry

You had a great race, PB after PB, sweet.
All the hard work paid off. Sounds like you really enjoyed the race too!

Edited by Casie 2005-05-24 5:40 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Terre Haute Triathlon - Thunder in the Valley Rss Feed