General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flu Out For 1 Week...What Now Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-20 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Flu Out For 1 Week...What Now
Hey Guys,

I am using the 20 Week Intermediate IM Plan (Race On Nov 7) and came down with the flu on Monday.  I have not trained since then...completly out with sore throat, aches, no energy.  I am feeling better now but still have a cough and some junk in my chest (yeah I got my MD at University of Hard Knocks).

I have been training all year (two HIM) and raced a full season last year with an IM in November.  This is my third full year of Tri Training. 

I am really scared that the missed week is going to set me way back......should I just jump back into my schedule or gradually start working out again as the final symtoms dissapear from this illness.

2009-09-20 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2416280

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Flu Out For 1 Week...What Now
What I would do in your shoes:

Next week, go back and follow your plan's most recent recovery week schedule. The week after go back to where you would be had you not missed a week. If THAT week would be a recovery week, I'd probably do the scheduled recovery work and maybe stretch out the long bike and run for the week a little bit. Then just follow the rest of the plan.

You won't lose a lot of fitness in a week. Being consistent between now and November will get you a lot further than trying to suck it up and jump back in and prolonging your illness.

Good luck. I'm sick too (101 fever this morning) but I'm not racing until April!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flu Out For 1 Week...What Now Rss Feed