General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon-run w/ sis or solo?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-09-20 10:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: marathon-run w/ sis or solo??
So, my sister signed up for the P.F. Chang's rock n roll marathon and asked me if I wanted to do it with her. This would be the first marathon for both of us. I've done several half marathons and my first HIM last week and am pretty confident that I can complete a full marathon by Jan., but I have a personal dilemma. She is about 2min. per mile slower than me. I asked her if she wanted to run together and she said that it would be really cool to have someone to run with and keep each other motivated, but she knows that she's quite a bit slower than me and she would "hold me back." The thing is, I know that she will have a much harder time training for it and may not be able to do as well as she is hoping. So if I ran it with her I could potentially be like a "pacer" for her to meet her goal. So...do I sign up for the marathon and run at my pace which would probably put me at the finish line around 3:45-4hrs? Or, do I run it with her and finish around 5hrs?

2009-09-20 11:40 PM
in reply to: #2416869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Subject: RE: marathon-run w/ sis or solo??
I guess in the end it's going to come down to how you feel about spending five hours with your sister in a sometimes uncomfortable situation. I guess I feel that not every race needs to be a PR, and if your sister is coming to you for support, well... It's up to you.  

2009-09-21 10:10 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
only you can answer this.

for me: I would run my own race... if it was a 5K or a shorter race, I would run it at a friend/ sister's pace, but a marathon is a big event to me. If I'm going to train for 26.2 I want to run it as fast as I can.

maybe you can run this race alone and do a HM/ 10 miler with her ?

totally up to you --- depends on YOUR goal for this race
2009-09-21 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
MA
You need to figure it out..but for some it is hard to run 2 m/m slower than what is comfortable..and it can making running uncomfortable.

I do understand your dilemma but I think training with same goal supporting each other can get cool as well. Does her race have pace groups? If so knowing that she can meet up with others with same pace/time goals and run with them for social experience and support might help you to feel okay doing your own thing.
2009-09-21 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2417455

Pro
yep,

trishie - 2009-09-21 11:10 AM only you can answer this.

for me: I would run my own race... if it was a 5K or a shorter race, I would run it at a friend/ sister's pace, but a marathon is a big event to me. If I'm going to train for 26.2 I want to run it as fast as I can.

maybe you can run this race alone and do a HM/ 10 miler with her ?

totally up to you --- depends on YOUR goal for this race

I would agree with Tricias statement on this.  Training for a full marathon would be too much for me to not go out and do better then  2mins per mile slower then what you'd typically would run.

Good luck though!

2009-09-21 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Sounds like the real dilemma is what do you want out of your FIRST marathon? 

She asked you to do it with her.  Ask her what this means to her.  It could mean both of you train, both of you run, and both of you get to wear the race t-shirt afterwards even if you run 3:45 and she runs 5:00.  It could mean she'd like you running with her the whole 26.2 miles. 

At the same time, voice your concerns, clearly and straightforward (spoken like a guy).  Listen carefully to her answers because my experience is that women rarely say what they really mean (welcome to *my* world).  If she really wants you to run 26.2 with her and finish holding hands and you're OK with that being your first marathon, great!  You have a solution.  If you really want to race your first and she's OK coming in an hour behind you, great!  You have a solution.  If you really want to race your first marathon and she really wants you to run and finish with her, you might still have a solution.  Find a December marathon to race and then pace her in January or put it off for a year and race your first on your own.  If you do the December marathon, make sure your accomplishment doesn't overshadow the joint effort. 

2009-09-21 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

I have the same feeling as the other posts, if you had done several marathons and they were no big deal, then run with her the whole way if she wants. Since its your first also, be sure she understands, and train together as much as you can and run with your own pace groups at the event.

Otherwise you would hate going slow and she would hate that she was holding you back. That's not fun for anyone.

2009-09-21 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Years from now....when you are old and grey and you think about the cool things you've done in your life, what will mean more to you:

1.  You ran your first marathon and finished an hour ahead of your sister.

2.  You and you sister ran your first marathons together.

Your sister asked you "if you wanted to do the marathon with her".  Do it with her.  There will be pleny of marathons in the future where you can PR but to run your first marathon with your sister is priceless.

~Mike

2009-09-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2417733

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA

Rogillio - 2009-09-21 12:48 PM

Years from now....when you are old and grey and you think about the cool things you've done in your life, what will mean more to you:

Your sister asked you "if you wanted to do the marathon with her".  Do it with her.  There will be pleny of marathons in the future where you can PR but to run your first marathon with your sister is priceless.

~Mike

I like this.  I think you have to decide what you want out of it.  I am in a little bit of a similar situation, although my sister is not 2:00/mile slower than I am.  We are running Disney together and it's funny because when I started running, she was way faster than me but now I am faster.  But I want to do it with her so we can enjoy the misery of our first marathon together.  I'm making her dress up as a Disney character with me, too. 

But again - it's up to you.  It's a lot of training and if you need to be comfortable with whatever decision you make. 

2009-09-21 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
I do this with my son. He is 13 and likes doing Tri's with me but hates training so needless to say we are verry slow.
If you do this with her, it will be frustrating for you, but when you're done you will be the hero, and forever after that you will be the guy who got her through .
2009-09-21 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2417755

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Since she signed up first, and asked you to join her, I would run with her.  Although I would struggle with having the slower race times on the books. Maybe you can sign up under another name?  

If it was the other way around (you already signed up) I would say "I have plans for this race, but we should find a race to do together".

I struggle with this with a girlfriend who I race 'with" a lot.  We are very similar in pace, but have different styles and end up splitting up.  But I struggle for a few miles trying to run "her" race.  For an upcoming event we're doing together I already told her that I look forward to training runs on the course, hanging with her at the start, cheering for each other at the finish, and enjoying the post-race together.  But I need to do my own thing when the gun goes off.

2009-09-21 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
A friend of mine who is a 3:05 marathoner said the hardest race he ever did was running 4:30 with his girlfriend.  It can be very difficult to run consistently at a slower pace.
2009-09-22 5:02 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
I'm in a similar situation. I asked a friend to run a race with me, but in my case not only is she significantly slower, she is not putting in ANY work. She keeps saying she will when it gets closer. We haven't had The Talk yet, but I know I can NOT run at her pace. Like, physically will not be able to run that slowly.

Talk to her. Try out some different strategies on your long runs. One day, run the whole thing together. The next, pick a route and each run your own pace. Decide what works for the two of you by experimenting. Be honest about what you need both physically and emotionally, and listen to what she needs/wants. Perhaps you will decide to run the first 5K or 10K together, get through the crush and excitement of the start, and then split up at a pre-designated spot (third water stop, corner of 1st and Main, whatever). You can holler good luck to each other, and then be there cheering madly for her at the finish.
2009-09-22 5:15 AM
in reply to: #2417733

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Rogillio - 2009-09-21 12:48 PM

~Mike

Gotta agree..... but my thinking on this is probably clouded by my own experience. I lost my brother a little over a year ago. We had talked about doing a race together at one point, but he was ultimately too sick to be able to train for it. I would have loved running with him, at any pace.

I do understand the dilema, though.
2009-09-22 5:21 AM

User image

Expert
Do it together!  
2009-09-22 5:25 AM

User image

Master

Run with your sister.  Do not pass up the chance to celebrate this accomplishment with her. 

If you want to do a faster marathon, do one by yourself before or after the PF Changs race.  There are plenty of marathons all over the US that you could do for "your" race.

2009-09-22 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Speaking from the other side of the equation, I am the slow one.  I am fortunate to have a few nice BTers running alongside me to pace me through my longer races. 
1st 15K -thanks Max. 
my two 1/2 marathons - thanks IronMaYden and guncollector. 

I am forever grateful for them to push me through the races.  There are many other marathons in the furture you can run at your own pace, but there is only one "first marathon" that you do with your sister.  Please consider running with her. 
2009-09-22 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
I have done 2 Tri's now with my Brothers and 1 is much faster than me on the run.  We are also both doing a 1/2 Marathon in a few weeks.  I would not want him to run my race just because I am in it.  We can socialize before and after but when the gun goes off it's an individual event.
2009-09-22 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

my brother, who is MUCH faster than me, ran my (and his) first half marathon step for step with me. i LOVED it. and i'm pretty sure he did to.

my boyfriend, who is MUCH faster than me, ran my first marathon step for step with me. i LOVED it, and i'm pretty sure he did to.

myself and my best friends brother ran step for step with my best friend for her first half marathon a couple weeks ago in virginia beach at the rock and roll half. it was both of their firsts. he is noticably faster than her, but he was there for her.

all three are memories i will cherish forever. i appreciate my bro/bf so much for their support leading up to, during and after.

as previous posters said...you have to decide what's important for you in the long run. a PR in your first marathon or supporting your sister during both of your firsts? neither is better than the other, it's what you want.

2009-09-22 7:48 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
It is very hard to run with someone who is slower than you. My wife and I ran our first 5K together. I Trained harder and was alot faster than her. She wanted to run together so we did. We stop alot and all I keep thinking was I trained hard for nothing. I could have finished 10 minutes faster than what I did. I know a 5k doesn't compare to a marathon but a race is a race. If you are a competitive person it will bother you everytime you think about that marathon.
2009-09-22 8:05 AM

New user
I didn't read all the other replies, but I'd run my own race. I'd train together, somewhat - like plan runs together, set up some water stops, same route, but I'd still do my own pace on training runs.

Also, your pace might make her start off too fast and she'll be dying half way through. Or, for that matter, you could be the one having a really bad day and need to stop or whatever. 

2009-09-22 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Run with her. It's a gift for both of you.

I ran my sister's first marathon with her. Or at least as much as she could run it. She was struggling with ITB syndrome, and eventually dropped out, but up until that point, I ran and walked every step with her.

My friend and I had trained together for several years, but never had the opportunity to run a marathon together. We both signed up for Marine Corps Marathon and Richmond, which are 2 apart. So, Marine Corps was really a training run, and we ran every step together. It's my second favorite race picture of all time (http://kvtri.blogspot.com/2005/11/it-was-only-training-run.html).

My husband has been at every single marathon I have run (except 2), supporting me, carrying my junk, putting up with me. He finally decided to do one of his own, and even though I had at first thought I would be his sherpa for a change, he wanted me to run with him. So, we did Disney together (http://kvtri.blogspot.com/2006/01/hes-marathon-man.html) and that's my very favorite race picture of all time.

I would not trade any one of those experiences for a faster time.

2009-09-22 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2419389

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
jah2212 - 2009-09-22 8:33 AM

my brother, who is MUCH faster than me, ran my (and his) first half marathon step for step with me. i LOVED it. and i'm pretty sure he did to.

my boyfriend, who is MUCH faster than me, ran my first marathon step for step with me. i LOVED it, and i'm pretty sure he did to.

myself and my best friends brother ran step for step with my best friend for her first half marathon a couple weeks ago in virginia beach at the rock and roll half. it was both of their firsts. he is noticably faster than her, but he was there for her.

all three are memories i will cherish forever. i appreciate my bro/bf so much for their support leading up to, during and after.

as previous posters said...you have to decide what's important for you in the long run. a PR in your first marathon or supporting your sister during both of your firsts? neither is better than the other, it's what you want.

Well, it'll be a PR no matter what

The difference is whether or not you'll be proud of the accomplishment. I would run with my sister. I don't know your history or your motivation to do other marathons but it could mean so much to her (and you) and there are so many other races out there for you to prove your mettle.  It's your first and if you can run a second one faster then you're guaranteed to set a new PR!

2009-09-22 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
If you're asking what you should do, that's something you can only answer for yourself.

What would I do?  Run with my sister every step.  As has been pointed out, it'll be a PR no matter what and there will be plenty of other marathons to race.
2009-09-23 1:21 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
So I was thinking about this again. I had a horrible experience on Saturday wherein my body would not only not allow me to complete my goals, but also kept my BFF from completing her goals. So, being in the position of the slower one, I go back to ASK HER WHAT SHE WANTS and LISTEN TO HER. I begged my BFF to go on without me and she wouldn't. Just made the pain of stopping that much worse. Your sister may very well not want to feel guilty about slowing you down or may feel like she'll try to push too hard so you don't have to run as slow or any number of factors that will throw off her game. I still say running the first 5K or whatever together and then splitting might be a great solution for you.

And, once again, do NOT attempt to run 2 min/mi slower without a lot of practice.

For some people, running together is an incredible experience. For some people, it won't work out. Talk.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon-run w/ sis or solo?? Rss Feed  

of 1