General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will Smith's Power data from IMWI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-23 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2421953

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Will Smith's Power data from IMWI
thats what i thought, now if you have it set to not include zeros, does the coasting not effect it, and only power output does?

2009-09-23 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2421923

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
newbz - 2009-09-23 10:39 AM
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-23 9:34 AM
newbz - 2009-09-23 10:49 AM

what do the hills look like there, and maybe he has it set of include zeros (cant you change that on a PT?) that would deff draw the ave power down a lot. i know my SRM does include them, and it shows ave power WAY lower than if you take them out.

Why would that help? His average power should include zeros. If he's coasting, that still "counts" in how hard (and how variable) he's riding.
maybe i missunder stood something (in which case this is good and i am learning!). if your PM does not include zeros, you only have the numbers from power output, if it does, anytime you are coasting its going to be lowering your ave power, correct?

Correct but you want to include zeros on your data because that is representative of the work you did or didn't when pedalling/coasting. Also as someone posted above while NP is an interesting metric because it accentuates the metabolic cost of power spikes, that is, every time we ride at higher intensities it has a greater metabolic cost which in turn can affect your performance. NP is not error proof but it is an interesting to metric to know.
2009-09-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2421918

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
JorgeM - 2009-09-23 12:38 PM

yes, hard to tell without looking at the entire file and knowing his FTP or CdA but the drop in power definitely is significant nevertheless. Also I am curious to see how much time he spent not pedaling/coasting. Finally without adequate data from his run (he apprently got injured) it will also be difficult to interpret whether he paced correctly or not.

The run was the other thing that makes it hard to figure; if he got off and ran 2:4X then it would look like he paced perfectly

I think it would be very interesting to see the second half and compare the sitting up and waiting for the group and then sitting with the group to when he decided to go off the front again.

Shane
2009-09-23 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2421961

User image

Lake Norman
I'm only a few months on my PowerTap, and zeros have been an issue for me. If I set it to not include zeros, it only does this when calculating the avg watts for the head unit itself. (The zeros are still there, just not calculated.) Uploading the data to the PowerTap software or TrainingPeaks still includes the zeros - so when I analyze the data after the ride, the avg power output is much lower (if I choose not to hammer down the hills.)

How do you guys deal with the zeros in your data? Do you always keep the power pumping going down hills? What about the discrepancy with avg watts reported by the PT head unit vs the data after the ride?
2009-09-23 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2420787

User image

over a barrier
For the power tap users, you can set your CPU to not include zeros in the display through poweragent software. I do not include zeros, so during the ride, I can peak at the average from time to time. Average power with no zeros is CLOSE to NP...not perfect but good enough imo. It always within two or three watts of NP.

I think the new power tap computer will calculate VI, IF, and NP real time but the unit is a little pricey.

Once you download to WKO+ those zeros will still be included in your file regardlesss if you have the unit to display no zeros.
2009-09-23 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2421983

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
nickwhite - 2009-09-23 11:57 AM I'm only a few months on my PowerTap, and zeros have been an issue for me. If I set it to not include zeros, it only does this when calculating the avg watts for the head unit itself. (The zeros are still there, just not calculated.) Uploading the data to the PowerTap software or TrainingPeaks still includes the zeros - so when I analyze the data after the ride, the avg power output is much lower (if I choose not to hammer down the hills.)

How do you guys deal with the zeros in your data? Do you always keep the power pumping going down hills? What about the discrepancy with avg watts reported by the PT head unit vs the data after the ride?

Sorry.  Zeros count.  I don't know a good reason to exclude them (though some people argue that by excluding them their avg. power displayed is closer to their NP).

I never worry about my average power in training rides.  For portions of the ride I'll aim to keep the power in some 'zone'.  At the end of the ride, I'll check my NP and TSS to get an idea of the overall training load I just applied.

2009-09-23 11:02 AM

User image

over a barrier
nickwhite - 2009-09-23 10:57 AM

I'm only a few months on my PowerTap, and zeros have been an issue for me. If I set it to not include zeros, it only does this when calculating the avg watts for the head unit itself. (The zeros are still there, just not calculated.) Uploading the data to the PowerTap software or TrainingPeaks still includes the zeros - so when I analyze the data after the ride, the avg power output is much lower (if I choose not to hammer down the hills.)

That is why most of us don't really care about average power. We focus on normalized power, which is trademarked by Coggan/Allen. You'll need WKO+ to calculate those figures. If you already have a power tap, IMO, you should really purchase WKO (100 bucks or so).
2009-09-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2421969

User image

Champion
JorgeM - 2009-09-23 9:52 AM

newbz - 2009-09-23 10:39 AM
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-23 9:34 AM
newbz - 2009-09-23 10:49 AM

what do the hills look like there, and maybe he has it set of include zeros (cant you change that on a PT?) that would deff draw the ave power down a lot. i know my SRM does include them, and it shows ave power WAY lower than if you take them out.

Why would that help? His average power should include zeros. If he's coasting, that still "counts" in how hard (and how variable) he's riding.
maybe i missunder stood something (in which case this is good and i am learning!). if your PM does not include zeros, you only have the numbers from power output, if it does, anytime you are coasting its going to be lowering your ave power, correct?

Correct but you want to include zeros on your data because that is representative of the work you did or didn't when pedalling/coasting. Also as someone posted above while NP is an interesting metric because it accentuates the metabolic cost of power spikes, that is, every time we ride at higher intensities it has a greater metabolic cost which in turn can affect your performance. NP is not error proof but it is an interesting to metric to know.

thanks, and thats what i thought. i did keep them when i had a PT, and with the SRM they are there and i agree you should, as they are part of the ride.
2009-09-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2421985

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
running2far - 2009-09-23 11:59 AM
Average power with no zeros is CLOSE to NP...not perfect but good enough imo. It always within two or three watts of NP. 

I believe this depends on how you ride.
2009-09-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2421985

User image

Lake Norman
Average power with no zeros is CLOSE to NP...not perfect but good enough imo. It always within two or three watts of NP. 

Thanks for that! This is what I had assumed. It is annoying that the PowerAgent software and TrainingPeaks both don't display the normalized power. Guess I need WKO+ for that.
2009-09-23 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2421999

User image

over a barrier
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-23 11:03 AM

True. I'm usually just checking during 1/2's and IM where I'm riding steady. I would assume the fudge factor is greater if you're killing yourself up hills etc. I haven't check to be honest.

2009-09-23 11:13 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
nickwhite - 2009-09-23 10:57 AM I'm only a few months on my PowerTap, and zeros have been an issue for me. If I set it to not include zeros, it only does this when calculating the avg watts for the head unit itself. (The zeros are still there, just not calculated.) Uploading the data to the PowerTap software or TrainingPeaks still includes the zeros - so when I analyze the data after the ride, the avg power output is much lower (if I choose not to hammer down the hills.)

It depends what I want to accomplish in training; sometimes I am hammering the hills and coasting the downhills, some others I am drilling the flats/down hills and going easy uphill and yet some others I am doing race type rides.

During race type sessions I pick a power output (near, @ or above race pace) and shoot to avg that for the entire ride (or interval) regardless of terrain. If I am going uphill I spin up trying to stay near the power target as much as I can. Sometimes the hill incline and/or gearing doesn't allow this so I just work to get myself up the hill as easy as possible. On the downhills I speed up trying to again stay within my power target and avoid coasting unless I gear out and I am having to work extra hard to stay near power target. A way to know when this is the case for me is; I keep pedalling at my sweet spot cadence (around 90s) and switching gears, if I run out of gears and I am having to pedal over 100 rpms and not reaching my power target I just relax and coast which I do on races, on training I keep soft pedalling at lower cadence until I can get back to my regular cadence/power taget.

This should keep your power avg pretty even when you download and look at the info, on those ride I am shooting for a VI as close to 1 as possible and below 1.05 for sure. On group rides I know my avg will be all over the place do to stoppig, coasting, attacking, etc. hence I look at power avg but don't worry much about it (I certainly ignore VI on those rides). I then look at NP and decide if that is more representative of the actual cost of the ride (fitness gains) or look at long intervals (best 10, 20, 60, 90 min power) to figure out how hard (or not) I rode.
2009-09-23 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
I too though we were talking about the Fresh Prince.  

I read the data and looked at the graph.  I was surprised it was all in Greek.
2009-09-23 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2422009

User image

Champion
MA
running2far - 2009-09-23 12:08 PM
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-23 11:03 AM

True. I'm usually just checking during 1/2's and IM where I'm riding steady. I would assume the fudge factor is greater if you're killing yourself up hills etc. I haven't check to be honest.

I have found the same to be true..avg power on head is close to NP once downloaded on WKO+ but it is not as close if I ride with a high VI. In longer races I watch to see if the average power is staying same, going up or down, over time just to see if my power output is staying close or going up per my plan.
2009-09-24 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
hasn't Will usually done shorter stuff? Haven't talked to him in a while though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will Smith's Power data from IMWI Rss Feed  

of 2