General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Request for advice on bike sizing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-24 10:26 AM

New user

Subject: Request for advice on bike sizing
So I have been riding a 58cm road bike and 58cm tri bike for the last couple of years - not sure why I originally picked that size, probably just because someone looked at me and said "oh ya, you are a 58" Now that I am shopping around for a new tri frame I wanted to make sure and I found a few websites with totally different sizing methods - can I get some advice on how to measure myself for a new frame?

Bike fitting and test riding is unfortunately out since my money situation forces me to buy used/un-tested off these forums, craigslist or ebay. The only measurement I am working off is my inseam which is 34.125 inches or 86.7 cm. On one website this measurement actually put me in a 56 cm bike. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Caleb

2009-09-24 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2424072

Subject: RE: Request for advice on bike sizing
Hello,

I use this 2 websites and after a pro fit me in a store I found out they are correct.

please try
http://www.bikefitting.com/English/Frame.aspx

or
http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=40

After I check your inseam, your are right looks like you are 56cm. Probably you've been ridding a wrong size.

If you are going to get a new bike, there are many bikestores that offer you the bike fitting included in the price of the bike so if you are not sure, just go to your bike store an tell them you want to get a new bike but you don't now your size, make sure they measure not only guessing..

hope these websites can help.

cheers
2009-09-25 3:19 PM

This is one of the things about bike fit that sort of annoys me. Every person has a unique shape the pedals, saddle, and bars or contact points are all that matter really. Though a good argument can be made for standover too. If a guy fits a 56 a 54 or 58 might serve just as well, Ned Overend actually prefers riding frames that are 'too small' because he can adjust the fit and gets away with a slightly lighter frame. Also because different companies use different ways of measuring a 56 from one brand may be a 55 or 54 or 58 in another brand.
2009-09-26 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Competitive cyclist has a pretty damn good online fit tool.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Other than that, how well does your 58cm tri bike fit you?  Is that the fit you still want?

And finally, do you know about "stack and reach".  It's probably the best, more important measurements in tri-bikes.  Though, if you're shopping used, it's often hard to find find the stack and reach of older bikes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Request for advice on bike sizing Rss Feed