General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike New v Used Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-24 10:51 AM

User image

Hawai'i
Subject: Bike New v Used Questions
There are some obvious differences between buying New v Used, but if going used what parts are the ones to pay attention to? When is used a bad idea?

I live in a rainforest, more or less, is there any type of bike that is bad for a wet hot climate?

Any guidance would be great. After the championships the local shop gets a lot of bikes for consignment and I plan on going through the pile to see if there is one that fits and want to be prepared.

2009-09-24 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2424166

Subject: RE: Bike New v Used Questions
 A used bike is never a bad idea all depends on your budget. Usually you get a used bike if the bike type that you are looking for is way up in your price range or if you find a good deal.

One of the most important parts of the bikes are the gears such as front and back derailleur, remember that bike components 10 years ago are probably obsolete today. So don't go to old probably 2 to 4 years max. Also when you look at the bike you can clearly see if its been well maintain or not. If you are not in rush you can expend 1 or 2 months looking for a great deal.

I have bought around 5 used bikes and sale some to. Sometimes you get really good deals.

About you are in a rain forest weather, try to look after the bikes without serious scratches, the paint help to protect the material (steal/aluminum/carbon)from the weather.

hope this help.

cheers

2009-09-24 11:35 AM

A used bike is never a bad idea all depends on your budget. Usually you get a used bike if the bike type that you are looking for is way up in your price range or if you find a good deal.

One of the most important parts of the bikes are the gears such as front and back derailleur, remember that bike components 10 years ago are probably obsolete today. So don't go to old probably 2 to 4 years max. Also when you look at the bike you can clearly see if its been well maintain or not. If you are not in rush you can expend 1 or 2 months looking for a great deal.

I have bought around 5 used bikes and sale some to. Sometimes you get really good deals.

About you are in a rain forest weather, try to look after the bikes without serious scratches, the paint help to protect the material (steal/aluminum/carbon)from the weather.

hope this help.

cheers

2009-09-24 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Leicester

Buying used can get you a lot higher spec = more for your money... (or less if you ar talking weight!)

But if you have concerns then it does come with pitfalls:-
waranty, if you want one, don't buy used, most lifetime frame waranties that manufacturers offer are for the original purchaser only.
Condition, you have to be the judge from what you see, there's no saying that there is no cracks under the paint and that bearings are not close to wearing out.
Maintenance, if you buy new from a LBS then you would probably get a free check up every 6 months and a reduced cost yearly service etc.  If it's used, even from your shop, they prob won't make much on it and you will be paying full price for work on it.

I sound quite pesamistic above, that's not my intention though, I've bought almost all my bikes and major parts like wheel upgrades etc, used... never had any issues.  BUT I do all my own work on my bikes from lube to suspension & wheel builds, I wouldn't let anyone else do it.

What I was getting at is if you are not that mechanical and don't like to work on your own bikes, used is a greater risk.

2009-09-24 6:35 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Obviously, the frame, but this may also be the most difficult for a novice to detect a problem. 

If it were me, I'd start with the most expensive/difficult components to replace FIRST, so:
Frame
STI Shifters
Rear Derailleur
Crankset & Bottom Bracket
Rear Wheel
Cassette
Headset & Aeorbars
Front Wheel
Seatpost & Saddle
Bar-end Shifters
Brake Calipers

Wheels you can move up/down at your discretion.  Truing a wheel isn't usually too expensive, but replacing a wheel can be anywhere from $100 to $1000+ depending on what you want. 

Why?  I'd much rather replace a $75 brake caliper than a $300 STI shifter. 

2009-09-28 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Buying used you can often get a higher-end bike for the same price as a brand new entry/mid level bike. But to figure out if it's a good deal you need to factor in other costs that come from buying a used bike and compare to buying new.

Fitting - one LBS here charges $150 for a FIST fitting session. If you buy the bike from them, there is no charge for the fitting. You can even come back several times as you dial in your fit. But if you buy used and need a fitting you can expect to pay $150-200 for the fitting, and possibly more if you need additional adjustments or require any extra spacers or parts. Cleat alignment can also add additional cost.

Tuneups - Same LBS mentioned previously will provide basic tuneup service for the life of the bike, but only to the original owner. Better yet they have 8-9 stores around here and you can go to any of them to have service done.

Discounts - buy a bike at a LBS and they often discount other accessories (shoes, pedals, clothing, etc) at the time of purchase.

warranty assistance - if you have a problem and need to send a frame back for warranty, the above LBS will ship it back (no cost to the buyer) and handle interaction with the vendor. With a used bike you might be able to get a frame fixed but the shipping will be on you and it's a coin flip whether the vendor will care enough to actually work with you to fix the bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike New v Used Questions Rss Feed