General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM in over 100 degrees... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-24 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Subject: HIM in over 100 degrees...
I wasn't planning on the Vegas HIM this weekend being over 100 degrees.  But the weather forecast puts it at 102.  Besides the obvious of "stay hydrated" is there anything else I should be careful about?  I have never used salt tabs.  Only HEED/Gatorade Endurance/Sustained Energy plus Cliff bars and gels.

Thinking about maybe a Camelback just to make sure I have enough fluids around me on the bike.

2009-09-24 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2424257

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: HIM in over 100 degrees...
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  You shouldn't need salt tabs as long as you have some other source of salts (like GE).  You should also pace yourself very conservatively.  You will almost certainly fatigue faster in heat like that, especially if you don't train in it much.  Which I hope you don't! 
2009-09-24 12:34 PM

User image

over a barrier
1. Throw time goals out the window. Don't chance them.

2. I'd make sure I'm taking in at least a bottle of sports drink every 10 miles on the bike. Peeing is a GOOD thing.

3. If training with power, drop your targets by 5-10%. Drop your RPE if not using power.

4. Ease into the race. Walk the aid station and make sure you're getting ICE. I like to run with ice in my hands.

I learned some hard lessons racing in the heat (83 degree water temp, heat index 100+) this sesson. We had 30% DNF rates at the race. It might get ugly It took me over 120oz of liquid to finally pee post race.

2009-09-24 1:56 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I did that race last year, it hit 105 F by the end of the run.  And that bike course is hilly, very hilly.  The good news is that it won't get warm until around 10:30-11:00 am, the race starts at like 6:30.  So it is a really good reason to finish fast.  The most important thing to keep in mind is that last year they screwed up the placement of the water stations and 3 of them were 2.5 miles apart, which is too far if it is 105 F out and you are doing the run portion of the HIM.  If it is going to take you more than 5 hours to finish a very hilly HIM, then bring water with you on the run.  I would not do that race again without my 45 oz camelback for the run.  I may do it again, but not without that camelback and a lot of hill practice on the bike.  They are also likely to run out of gator aid and gels for the run, so bring all your own stuff for the run.  Also the water may be so warm that you can't wear a wetsuit.  They also have minimal post race food/drinks.  I think they ran out of water after the race for late finishers and had like only oreos and orange slices for post race food.  You should probably consider bringing your own post race snacks.  Lastly, they start packing everything up really fast at the end.  7 hours after the start of the race they had already taken away the bike racks and just put folks bikes down on the ground.  They were not announcing finishers, did not announce age group winners and were basically out of there by around 1-1:30 pm.  I don't think they posted any finish times past about 5:00:00 and mail you something if you won.

So ya, keep the fluids coming, you should get enough salt from your nutrition.  If using Infinit, max the electrolytes.  Plan on downing 200-250 oz of fluids and not having to pee, which is a good thing because there are no porta potties on the bike or run.  If you were able to do any training in 100 F temps that would help a lot.  I know I did 6 hour workouts in 95-100F temps this summer to aclimate myself to the warmer triathlons.  It helps a lot, but you still need to down a lot of fluids for anything over 95 F.               

Oh for the bike I think they had water stations at like mile 12, 28, 42, so how much water you need on the bike depends on how much you start with.  The temps will be cooler on the bike, but I still drank a fair amount on the bike.  

Edited by Baowolf 2009-09-24 2:00 PM
2009-09-24 2:14 PM

Pro
AZ
Be careful on the run when wanting to dump water over your head, or put ice in your cap, or  down your shirt..etc......  That water all goes down into your shoes and will make for nasty blisters which is the last thing you will need.  The suffer-fest will be in full stride by then.....no need to add to it.

A salt tab at the start of the bike, and right at the end of the bike wouldn't hurt!  (My last 2 HIMS in Arizona were high 90's and total suckage.  My friend did not take any salt tabs and was literally on deaths door at the finish. Popping a couple throughout the race won't hurt you, but may really help).
2009-09-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2424694

User image

Master
Baowolf - 2009-09-24 11:56 AM I did that race last year, it hit 105 F by the end of the run.  And that bike course is hilly, very hilly.  The good news is that it won't get warm until around 10:30-11:00 am, the race starts at like 6:30.  So it is a really good reason to finish fast.  The most important thing to keep in mind is that last year they screwed up the placement of the water stations and 3 of them were 2.5 miles apart, which is too far if it is 105 F out and you are doing the run portion of the HIM.  If it is going to take you more than 5 hours to finish a very hilly HIM, then bring water with you on the run.  I would not do that race again without my 45 oz camelback for the run.  I may do it again, but not without that camelback and a lot of hill practice on the bike.  They are also likely to run out of gator aid and gels for the run, so bring all your own stuff for the run.  Also the water may be so warm that you can't wear a wetsuit.  They also have minimal post race food/drinks.  I think they ran out of water after the race for late finishers and had like only oreos and orange slices for post race food.  You should probably consider bringing your own post race snacks.  Lastly, they start packing everything up really fast at the end.  7 hours after the start of the race they had already taken away the bike racks and just put folks bikes down on the ground.  They were not announcing finishers, did not announce age group winners and were basically out of there by around 1-1:30 pm.  I don't think they posted any finish times past about 5:00:00 and mail you something if you won.

So ya, keep the fluids coming, you should get enough salt from your nutrition.  If using Infinit, max the electrolytes.  Plan on downing 200-250 oz of fluids and not having to pee, which is a good thing because there are no porta potties on the bike or run.  If you were able to do any training in 100 F temps that would help a lot.  I know I did 6 hour workouts in 95-100F temps this summer to aclimate myself to the warmer triathlons.  It helps a lot, but you still need to down a lot of fluids for anything over 95 F.               

Oh for the bike I think they had water stations at like mile 12, 28, 42, so how much water you need on the bike depends on how much you start with.  The temps will be cooler on the bike, but I still drank a fair amount on the bike.  

can you take a look at the map and tell me if it is the same course?  The write up says "flattest course in Las Vegas" and when I mapped it out on Google it was only about 700 ft of climbing.  Am I missing something? I was expecting a mostly flat course.

2009-09-24 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Why worry, it's dry heat out there...
2009-09-24 7:36 PM

User image

Neal, Baowoolf's post reminds me of a PM I sent...

As for flat, uhhhhh.  No.  That  is basically the same course as Pumpkinman/Silverman except without the final climbs to Boulder City/Henderson.  So yeah, in that respect, it is the flattest......  but it's all relative.   

Here's a profile of Pumpkinman.  The only thing you won't have is the climb starting at mile 45 or so, but since your race stops back at transition,you will go further into the desert (eta - maps show P man going further, but that can't be possible, since P man goes up to Boulder City, but they probably turn in the same general area)

http://onemillionrevolutions.org/maps/profile.php?segmentID=1758

I did P man as a warm up to IMAZ, you can spin all the hills really easy in a 27, no out of the saddle climbing, but Ithink there is only one true "flat" section on the course, about a mile long.....

And I guess we didn't get that wheel swap done..... sorry about that.

Take LOTS of water.   Make sure you load up at EVERY station 

Edited by ChrisM 2009-09-24 7:40 PM
2009-09-24 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2425346

User image

Master
so it is Hilly...damn them with the cryptic message of "flattest in LV".  Oh well...bring on the hills.

Hopefully the downs are fun.
2009-09-24 11:32 PM

User image

I'll second Baowolf's comments about this race. Easily the poorest race support I've experienced. I recall large trash bins filled with drinking water (and some trash) being served up. The swim was wonderful, warm and smooth. The bike course has constant rolling hills but nothing terribly steep. Be careful to pace yourself in the first half and you'll be fine. The run course is hot and their isnt much shade. Basically a nice desert run. I seem to remember some rolling hills on the run but also nothing major.

If you're aware of the heat and keep hydrated, and realize that you need to have most of your water/gatorade/gels on you during the bike and run, the race will be good. When I finished last year I swore I'd never go back, but it's a perfect way to ruin yourself in a HIM, I'm using it as a final tune-up for IMAZ. See you Sunday!
2009-09-24 11:58 PM
in reply to: #2425624

User image

Sensei
Sin City
There are no flat courses in Vegas...  But it's not too bad.

Just stay hydrated and START hydrated.  Drink continuously for several days before.

I decided at the last second to not race it this year.  I'm in in the height of training for Silverman and don't want to mess that up.

Enjoy it.  It's a pretty course.  I do lots of racing and training out there if I can...

Let me add, SUNSCREEN and hat and glasses.  They are a must.

2009-09-25 2:53 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It is the same course.  The hills are not bad in the sense of steep.  They are all easily climbable, there just really isn't any flat it is all hills.  Depending on your hill climbing skills you may need to go easy on the first half so you have enough left for the second half.  It was my first HIM and I was fine for the first 40 miles or so, but then I started climbing the hills much slower for the last 16 miles.  It is a pretty course and I would do it again, just I would bring my own everything for the run.  The run does go uphill, maybe 200-300  feet of elevation in the first 4 miles, but then is flat for the next 6 ish and then you are at a slight downhill again.  It feels worse than it is right off the bike, but is fine after that.  For me it was really the lack of water and that I underestimated my calorie needs and underestimated how much the hills would drain me on the bike.  I did get a 3rd place there, but do plan ahead 8).   
2009-09-26 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Wear sunscreen! There will be limited cover. You will want to do the same for IMAZ.
2009-09-28 11:24 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Get that RR done so we can see how it went!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM in over 100 degrees... Rss Feed