General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations for running footware with minimal cushioning? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-26 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2427596

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Recommendations for running footware with minimal cushioning?
jsnowash - 2009-09-26 3:38 PM 

For those of you who do most or all of your running in flats, how long do they last? The store sales-person told me about 200 miles.... I'm now running about 30 mpw, and hoping to build from there. If I get up to 40 mpw and eventually do all my running in flats, that would mean I would replacing shoes every 5 weeks! What has other people's experience been??

The Adizero LT's appear to be a lightweight trainer as opposed to a true racing flat so they should be a little more durable than a flat.

I've put probably 200km on my Adizero Breeze and they still seem to be going strong.  I expect to get probably about 500km out of them but that is just an educated guess.

Shane

2009-09-26 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2426589

gsmacleod - 2009-09-25 2:13 PM

I'm a big fan of the AdiZero line; I have a pair of RC's (primarily for racing), Breeze and Boston;s (training).

I've done some barefoot running on the track but since most of my runs are on the road or sidewalk, I go with either lightweight trainers or flats.

Shane

+1 on adezero line.  I do my track work in Adizero Pro's. 6.4 ounces, super soft and feels like cloth wrapped around your feet.  The outsole is SUPER thin, so running on pavement will wear it down way too fast.  I would only use mine on tracks, dirt, or grass or go broke replacing them.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ADI1514/

I also have a pair of Brooks T6 and Saucony A2's.  While both are also super light and responsive, they don't feel as "naked" as the Adizero Pro's.
2009-09-26 11:41 PM
in reply to: #2425167

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I tried on the Nike Frees today, and they felt pretty good. I'm currently using a set of Nike Pegasus 25 in a size 11 that fit great. I tried on an 11 and a 12 Free using a pair of my (thin) running socks... the 11 was the right length, but felt a little tight/narrow. The 12 felt better, but was a bit too long. Unfortunately they didn't have a size 11.5. I also thought the heel was taller than I expected, but I didn't get to run in them, just walk around the store a bit.

For those using the Frees, do they break in quite a bit? Would it be normal to get a snug (on the sides) pair and have them stretch a bit?

Edited by InsainoDwayno 2009-09-26 11:42 PM
2009-09-27 1:02 AM
in reply to: #2425167

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

The NIke free still has arch support, and so isn't really a minimalist and I can't wear it. The new Zoots (I have the energy) feels like  slipper with a dense thin sole and have been my most comfortable shoe to date. Any flat that feels good should do fine.If you're a heelstriker you may not be happy without the cushioning.

If you decide to try barefoot, concrete and asphalt is easier than a track or groomed trail. You can build up to 4 or 5 miles pretty quick. But, people will start to treat you as if you are a dangerous vagrant instead of a runner.

Edited by Broompatrol 2009-09-27 1:06 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations for running footware with minimal cushioning? Rss Feed  

of 2