General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SRAM Red drivetrain vs carbon aero bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-24 11:55 PM

Subject: SRAM Red drivetrain vs carbon aero bars
I'm considering 2 similar Kestrel Talon carbon tri bikes at similar pricepoints.

One has SRAM Red drivetrain with cheaper Profile aluminum handlebars/aero-clips and the other one has Ultegra drivetrain with Profile Cobra Wing Carbon Bar with Profile Cobra T2 Carbon Clip-on Aero bars.  The Cobra carbon aero set costs significantly more than the cheaper aluminum set and should be more comfortable.  Does the SRAM Red drivetrain offer enough of an advantage over Ultegra to offset the handlebar/aero set?  (The SRAM Red bike actually costs $100 more).  Would a beginner even notice the difference between the drivetrains?

I'm leaning toward the Ultegra build with carbon handlebars/clip-ons since I'm assuming as a beginner, I would notice the slight comfort advantage immediately but not necessarily any performance advantage SRAM Red drivetrain might have over Ultegra.  I switched bikes with a friend of mine on the same route, and going from a super cheap aluminum tri bike to a full carbon made a huge difference in comfort.  Our main route is up and down the shoulder of a long highway that's not very smooth.

2009-09-25 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2425636

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: SRAM Red drivetrain vs carbon aero bars
Buy the bike with the RED component kit. The carbon aerobars will not make a hill of beans difference comfort wise.

Get the bike with the Sram... even for $100 more, you are coming out with a better deal.
2009-09-25 8:38 AM

thanks, good to hear.  for some reason i thought the carbon bars might dampen the vibration to my arms/shoulders/neck which starts aching before my legs are done.  probably the carbon frame on my friend's bike is doing the bulk of the dampening and not the handlebars then?

This is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/kestrel/talon_sramred_tri.htm

seem like a good deal?
2009-09-25 11:19 AM

User image

Columbia, MD
that bike doesn't have a red grouppo, it has red front and rear derailleurs, nothing else. In fact, it's got fairly cheap brakes, Sram's cheapest 10s chain and cassette (in an unusual size for a tri bike), their cheaper shifters, and a not so great wheelset.

It looks to me like that bike was speced out so their ad could say "RED COMPONENTS" without actually giving you any of the benefit thereof.

I'd say it's about a wash between those 2 bikes (assuming the other you were talking about is Talon SL), other than the shimano vs sram drivetrain, everything else looks the same, as you said. Carbon damping vibration is a load, but so is the belief that Red derailleurs shift better than Ultegra (provided both were installed and adjusted properly). Even Shimano vs Sram doesn't mean that much, since this isn't a road bike, and the shift pattern is the same.

I doubt anyone in the world, beginner or not, would notice a performance difference between those two (then again, $100 isn't that much compared to the rest of the bike, and it gets you the most expensive [mechanical] derailleurs ever made, if bling means anything to you).
2009-09-25 1:53 PM

thanks fausto, i figured they would be pretty close since the price was basically the same.  if there were any performance differences it would definitely be slight enough that a noob like me wouldn't notice it.  $100 is insignificant enough compared to the whole price of the bike that if the carbon handlebars makes no difference, I'll pay it just for the few SRAM components that I probably won't notice other than the cool looks

this company always goes cheap on the wheels since you just can't get prices like that with real tri race wheels.  i'm getting SRAM S60 front and an aero disc cover from wheelbuilder for the stock rear wheel which I heard is basically as good as a $600+ rear disc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SRAM Red drivetrain vs carbon aero bars Rss Feed