General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoe choice and overpronation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-25 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: Running shoe choice and overpronation

Question for discussion.

I overpronate fairly severely.  I was videotaped and it wasn't pretty. I've gone through my share of shoes..a few variations of New Balances and more recently Brooks Trance9, Brooks Ghost2, Brooks Adrenalines...

I seem to like a neutral shoe better and it runs contrary to what I've been told I should be doing.  Am I crazy to run in a neutral shoe when I knowingly overpronate?  Or have I just not found the proper shoe with the right support.  ie. the Ghost's looked horrible on video but feel good, while the Adrenalines looked great but didn't feel right.

Thoughts on people wearing neutral shoes regardless of pronation?

2009-09-25 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2426464

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Running shoe choice and overpronation

I thoroughly believe that if it feels good, then it's not worth getting worked up over.  Are you having any foot problems?  If not, then that's a good sign.

I'm not sure what your current volume is, but I would say that if you start going up with it, just try to pay attention to what your feet and legs tell you.  But even then, I'd look at training before looking at shoes.  Usually you can tell pretty quick if a pair of shoes is wrong for you or not.

2009-09-25 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Just a thought here...but have you looked at the new Brooks Ravenna?  It's a "mild" stability shoe...so less stable than the Adrenaline, but more so than a neutral shoe.  
2009-09-25 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
^^^ What Scout7 said.

I'd only add, though, that I was a huge fan of the Adrenalines up through the Adrenaline 8.  If you've only tried the Adrenaline 9 (the current model), they did make a change to the structure of the heel that I found--as a severe overpronator--was not helpful.  A Brooks rep I spoke to at a marathon expo said that they were making another change for the Adrenaline 10 (this fall) that should address that.  So it might be worth taking another look at that shoe when it comes out.  I've tried a lot of shoes over the last five years (various Brooks, Asics, Saucony, and Mizuno models) and the Adrenaline remains my favorite in terms of weight and structure.  Ultimately, though, feel is most important, not what is supposed to work for you.

Edited by tcovert 2009-09-25 1:36 PM
2009-09-25 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I think you should stick with what feels good. Also, have you read any of the recent research/articles about how shoes with more stability/cushioning are actually causing more injuries? There is some interesting stuff out there that suggests we do not need all of the extra stuff that shoe manufacturers are putting on their shoes. I've been reading the book, "Born to Run" by McDougall and it is filled with information about how running barefoot or with minimal cushioning is what's best for our feet. I overpronate on my left foot, but after not being happy with my stability shoe that was recommended to me after being video taped I went to a different running store. The guy watched me run again and actually told me I should just stick to a neutral shoe. It's been great and I haven't had any problems! Just my two cents!
2009-09-25 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
A lot of shoe science went into creating shoes that eliminate over pronation.  Since then science has shown that prnation is part of you shock absorbtion system. 

I think if you are not experiencing paina nd are running efficiently with teh pronation in neutral shoes, you could stay with them. 

if you are hurtining in your ankles OR knees or your running form is inefficient (affecting your maximum transfer of energy to foward motion =speed) then you should consider a stability shoe.

If problems persist with the stability shoe - move on to motion control.
        If prob persists past that see your doctor.

Shoe store guys seem to really push insert replacements to correct pronation.  After insisting I didn't think they were necessary without trying them first I finally gave then a shot.  They caused pain - so I swithched the shoe they were in  - those ones then casued pain.  Both pairs of shoes were fine with the standard sole insert.  NOTE: I am sure these work for some people - for me they were $20 to buy an injury.

I am an overpronator and typically wear Stability shoes (Mizuno Wave Inspire 3,4,5) I havea par of performance stability and they are OK too just not for all my miles.

The guy that sold me the inserts did the video - I over pronate I already knew that - give me my shoes and leave me alone.

2009-09-25 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I'm flat-footed, duck footed and a severe pronator, plus I'm a Clyde. When I started running a couple years ago I used whatever kind of New Balance shoe was cheap at Marshalls and never had an injury. As I began to run more I went to a local running store and they started putting me in motion control shoes and before I knew it I was having tendonitis problems and blisters. The shoes had *too* much support and the weight was killing me. Since then I found a really top-notch running store that does foot mapping and gait analysis and I've found myself in shoes that offer just a little bit of stability and are a lot lighter. I'm faster, more comfortable and injury free. My feeling is all this focus on pronation and getting our ankles straight neglects a bunch of other conditions like arch support, shoe weight, comfort, footfall, etc.
2009-09-25 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm was a heavy overpronator and I had good luck with Saucony Hurricanes but they are expensive.  As I've run a little longer, my overpronation is less severe and I'm using Mizuno Wave Alchemy which is a much cheaper shoes ($80 most places).  I think it's possible to get into a neutral shoe over time if you run a lot more and concentrate on technique. 

2009-09-25 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2426494

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
nscrbug - 2009-09-25 1:36 PM Just a thought here...but have you looked at the new Brooks Ravenna?  It's a "mild" stability shoe...so less stable than the Adrenaline, but more so than a neutral shoe.  

Yes, I ran in the Ravenna shoe on the treadmill at the running store before getting into the Adrenaline's (I essentially started neutral and worked my way up).  BTW, it is the 9 and the only Adrenaline series I've tried.  For now, I'm going to stick with the Ghost2 because it feels better and I feel faster, lighter, keep a better cadence and everything else for some reason when I wear them regardless of what it looked like from the video of me on a treadmill.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone.  I just wanted a sanity check.
2009-09-25 4:56 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
If the neutral shoes feels good and there's no other pain... knees hips back... stick with what feels good.

If your concerned about the over-pronating maybe you can look into orthodics/inserts for support
2009-09-25 5:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

I pronate and have found that shoes that attempt to correct it cause problems. I suggest you select for comfort and go with the most minimal shoe you can. The only shoes that have not cause me issues are flats and the Zoots. IMO over built shoes totally suck and are products of marketing hype. But again any shoe that is comfortable is probably the "correct" shoe for you.

2009-09-25 5:27 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
One of the biggest questions is whether or not it hurts. Do your feet or shins hurt after runs? How much stretching are you doing?

If they don't hurt, they you should be okay. Just listen and pay attention.

I have a pretty severe overpronation, and have been urged to try the Brooks Beasts. They're a pretty solid shoe and work quite well. The downfall - they're a heavy shoe.

2009-09-25 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI
I severely over-pronate.  They actually joke that I walk on my ankles!  Over the years I have done many different things.  I used to run in a cushioned Asics (so long ago I don't remember the model).  I still miss those shoes.  As I have gotten older and advanced to more mileage, I have more problems.  I have done motion control shoes that eventually cause problems - do PT where they recommend orthotics for the short-term and build up to where I get injured again.  I have custom orthotics now, and per the foot and ankle clinics recommendations, I run with them always.  I had to go down to a stable shoe, not the severeness of a motion control.  I have been to many different running stores, and they all come up with the same models.  New Balance 768's were GREAT - the new 769's are more narrow (I already wear a wide) and I had to change.  I'm in NB 850's now.  I also am hammer-toed and need a deep toe box, which is usually why I go with New Balance.  Saucony is also a good brand, but too small int he toe area for me.  I think you need to realize that all of these shoe manufacturers streamline their models - so you need to re-analyze everytime they change the model.  I also think strength training has made a huge impact.  Keeping in mind your form and concentrating on smaller muscle groups that you use in running.  In the end - if something doesn't feel right - do something about it right away instead of trying to see if it works itself out and get yourself injured.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoe choice and overpronation Rss Feed