General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TACX Winter Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-26 2:11 PM

Subject: TACX Winter Trainer
Hi All,

Thinking about buying a TACX bike trainer and finding it hard to work out the best version and if they are really any good.

The weather and light here (Ireland) means limited to weekend only so want thought about the trainer as a way of training over the winter and actually improving cycling power and times.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks a million

ManU!

2009-09-26 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2427627

User image

Master
Living in the past
Subject: RE: TACX Winter Trainer
I have an older I-magic version (which I don't think they make anymore) and find it more than adequate for my winter training needs. The high-end "Fortius" has a pretty good motor-brake (as I understand, no direct experience) and the fact that the braking system is programmable allows for varied workouts (including power-based). The computer interface is nice and with the "real-life" video and a decent monitor, it can break up the monotony of trainer rides. The downside to the Fortius (and other similar) trainers, e.g. Compu-trainer is the cost. That said, I have completely satisfied with my Tacx trainer.
2009-09-28 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2427627

User image

Regular
Eagle, CO
Having had both a Tacx and a Computrainer, I would pick up a used Computrainer on ebay if I were you. Check out the support forums for both companies and it will become clear as to why.
2009-09-28 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2429469

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
racerx - 2009-09-28 10:36 AM Having had both a Tacx and a Computrainer, I would pick up a used Computrainer on ebay if I were you. Check out the support forums for both companies and it will become clear as to why.

Though if he is in Ireland then the non-US models didn't have the power problems that the US ones had.  If that is still the ongoing issue with them, haven't looked in awhile since I got my Computrainer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TACX Winter Trainer Rss Feed