General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bored with the road Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-26 2:25 PM

Subject: Bored with the road
I am moving off road for my runs.  This up and down the gravel roads is getting boring.  I am lucky as I have a nice little spot to run close by.  I also figure this is a good reason to by some "Trail Shoes"

Any trail runners have suggestions for shoes,,,uh Trixie uh. 

I out in the morning in my road shoes to try them, but I know this area and will need something with better grip.

Any other tips on trail running are welcomed.  This area is by my house.  The 4 mile marker is a few miles from my house and it's known locally as deadmans hill. 

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2332862

2009-09-26 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2427637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: RE: Bored with the road
I have two pairs of trail shoes, Merrells & Adidias.  Of the two, I like the Adidias a bit more.  They are "Winterized" and have been great for running in the snow along with the mud.  They have an extended pad that comes off the back of the shoe that, I think, has helped with slipping and stability.  Both are stiff and have saved me from twisted ankles plenty of times.

Another piece of advice, I find my legs respond to trail running better running in compression socks.  I've recently switched from OxySox to CW-X.

I just registerd for the Highland Rugged Man on 11/8.  This is a VERY COOL little event put on by great people:  http://www.stayintheshade.org/highland2009.htm .  Don't expect a big race feel (or timing chips, they do the timing old school with a stop watch and written down times).  They had great food after and a two mile hike that my daughter and friends have done and are doing this year too. 
2009-09-26 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
That does look like a cool event. I think I am in. Perfect mileage for me too.

I've been taking it off road lately too. Way more mental activity which subsides that road-running boredom. Runnersworld.com has some good resources for running form on hilly, off road courses.  
2009-09-26 7:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Trails are awesome.  They take your mind off the running and time passes quickly.  Bad thing is that early hunting season is starting.  Last weekend I ran into several hunters that were taking advantage of the early doe hunting weekend.  It's hard to feel comfortable around people with guns so I bailed after a while and hit the dirt roads.  Oh I've been wearing a pair of Asics GT-2120's that have held up pretty well through training, the Great lakes relay and Dances with dirt.

Edited by knewbike 2009-09-26 7:12 PM
2009-09-28 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
I'm not a big trail runner, but enjoy it once in a while.  I recently bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Peak XC and I'm pretty happy with them.  They have a low 'toe box' so you may want to consider going up a half size if you get them.

There is a link in a BT forum somewhere for the Running Warehouse that is giving corporate discounts.

HERE

Check out the offers.  I've bought a few things from this site - the discounts are huge and it's free 2 day shipping!
2009-09-28 11:57 PM
in reply to: #2429569

Thanks for the answers.  I like that running warehouse, nice prices.

2009-09-29 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Flushing
Where are you running at? I am in the area also and found a new love of trail running. I have been going over to Holly and doing the trails there but would like to find some other places to go.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bored with the road Rss Feed