United States
Sommer Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 50m 43s
Overall Rank = 546/1265
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 96/169
Pre-race routine:

Slept at Steve's parents so we wouldn't bother our families in the morning. I got up at 4:15 and had some coffee and Steve got up at 4:45. We arrived at the event at 5:15, two hours before our wave was to start. I ate a Balance bar as Steve showed me how he laid out his transition area (he ended up 10th in both T1 and T2, he's got it down to a science!) and so I set mine up. I wasn't nervous at all, which kind of bothered me... I bumped into Mike at we joked around a little, as he wan't nervous either - we were just happy to be participating in our first tri. I told him I put my ChampionChip on first thing in the morning and he said, "Now I'm about to start panicing!" :) His wife happened to call just then and she told him it was in their car. I ate another Balance bar and hit the potty line.
Event warmup:

None. I barely made it out of the Port-o-john before they called us to the water. Those two hours flew by!!
Swim
  • 29m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

A couple minutes before the 7:15 start time, we were called down to enter the water. The water was nice and cool, not cold like it was on my first open water practice, and this lake was A LOT clearer. I kind of hung out in the "2nd" row because I didn't want to get trampled, but that happened anyway as the guys to my left and right squeezed me out, then the guys behind me swam up on me as I was looking around to see were I should head to get out of their way. I kept the thought of withdrawing out of my mind because of all the hard work I have put in and just kept plodding along. I eventually started putting my head back into the water and just swimming - I was getting out of breath swimming with my head up. It eventually thinned out and was only tight again at the first corner. I was actually quite calm and relaxed on the "back stretch." Coming around the last buoy (and little island in the middle of the lake) I sighted the swim exit banner and felt an incredible joyous sensation - I knew I was going to make it through the swim leg!!! I didn't wear my stopwatch, so I had no idea what my time was until the results were posted Sunday night. My goal time was 30 to 35 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Not panic when people get close to me - learn how to draft. Drink more water before the race; my mouth got a little dry near the end.
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

Age Group Rank: 134
After seeing Steve's 10th place T1 (2:09), my brother asked me if I took a nap in T1! :) I didn't sleep, but definately doddled. Just on the other side of the transition area, someone's wife said there was a snake swimming back and forth in from of the swim exit area. Me and a couple other guys around joked that it was most likely more scared of us than anyone was in danger of it. Pulling on my cycling jersey was pretty tough, and one of the corners of my race number tag ripped off the safety pin - I re-pinned it.

Either wear my cycling jersey under my wetsuit or wear a loose fitting t-shirt - and get a race belt.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 47s
  • 41 kms
  • 31.22 km/hr
Comments:

I loved the bike ride, but mixed my HammerGel a little (well quite a bit) too strong. I have been going through a whole bottle of HammerGel and water in my 15ish mile rides, so I was planning on finishing that off and grabbing a GatorAide at the aide station, but that didn't happen. I didn't have an excellent pace, but I didn't struggle over any hills - actually passed quite a few people while spinning up the hills. My goal time was 1:15 to 1:20. I saw that I came in under 1:20, but didn't check out my pace.

Drink more. Eat more gels during practice rides - I only ate part of one while planning on eating two. I also carried a bananna and PowerBar along for the ride - I won't do that next time either; I think I packed enough food for a 50 mile ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Age Group Rank: 115
Again, Steve came in 10th (1:18). I thought I did pretty good, but somehow 2/3 the people in my age group beat me.

I don't know, perhaps play around with taking my feet out of my shoes while still on the bike and hopping off before coming to a complete stop?
Run
  • 55m 13s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 31s  min/km
Comments:

Shortly after exiting the transition area, my left quad almost cramped up on me. Then throughout the run I kept "chasing" the cramp out of my legs. First one quad then the other, then a hammy, then quad again, and then other hammy. I never completely locked up, but I couldn't run hard at all. I walked through almost all of the aide stations to drink some GatorAide and I walked parts of three of the hills. My goal time was 45 to 50 minutes.

Not play softball four days before my "A race" - we won both games and I went 4 for 4 and 3 for 4, with an in-the-park homerun my last at bat, plus I scored from first at least 3 times - my legs felt great at the games, but NO SO at the race.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed what I thought was the finish line (but I think it was just a way for the announcer to get the participants names) and was slowing down when I saw the real finish line (a huge arch of balloons!!) around the bend. Two guys tried to pass me then, but I kicked it in. Expecting my "normal" trying not to throw up at the end of a race, I was shocking surprised at how good I felt. I guess since I couldn't push it during the run, it was more like a long, slow distance run. I wasn't out of breath nor could I feel my pulse pounding in my neck and head. I didn't warm down - just grabbed some GatorAide and chatted with my family and Mike's wife and parents. I wasn't at all hungry and didn't participate in the after race activities. My little sister and I got together at my brother's house for a late lunch - all 13 cousins played around the house and yard as Steve and I kept checking for the results to be posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping legs.

Event comments:

It was great to see my wife and kids cheering me on as I got out of the water and was heading to the transition area. They did an excellent job of getting to areas and picking me out to encourage me along!!

I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't run, but euphoric at my swim performance. I came in 29th out of 107 first time triathletes. I'm looking forward with great enthusiasm for the Colonial Beach Tri!

Last updated: 2005-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:26 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 92/169
Overall: 0/1265
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Counter clockwise, in-water start fresh water lake. (no "in-water" Start type to select from below). My full body wetsuit is more like a full body life preserver. As we were in the water waiting for the start, I was just suspended vertically without even kicking or moving my arms - pretty cool for a perennial sinker.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:18:47 | 41 kms | 31.22 km/hr
Age Group: 64/169
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful morning for a bike ride - very little wind and the clouds were breaking up. It was fun to ride back in my old stomping (hammering) grounds. Lots of nice gradual ups and downs with a couple steep ones thrown in here and there to keep you on your toes - very few flat stretches.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:13 | 10 kms | 05m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 117/169
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly. Looped around the park and lake and more park area before heading into the neighborhood I grew up in. Through the hilly neighborhood and then back into the park and then the rest of the way around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-23 9:58 PM

User image

Regular
King George, VA
Subject: 24th Columbia Triathlon

2005-05-23 10:20 PM
in reply to: #162228

Veteran
Alabama
Subject: RE: 24th Columbia Triathlon
GREAT first race man!! You did AWESOME!! I was so laughing at your T1 time!! LOL~! I'm with your bud...did you take a nap or what? Too funny!!

Nice swim, I'm with you though, sure don't like people touching me on the swim especially if it feels like they are pushing me down.

Again, you did fantastic!! Congrats!!

K
2005-05-24 7:40 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great job!  Tough course for a first timer, but you did great.  My sister did the run on fresh legs (relay) and all she could say at the end was "That sucked!"

Good job at the softball games too.

2005-05-24 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Congratulations Jeff. You are a true Triathlete!

Very impressive results and I loved your race report.

tony
2005-05-24 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Excellent triathlon, Steve.  Hey, a sub-three hour olympic is something to be extremely happy with!  C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !
2005-05-24 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Great job man! I can't believe people picking Columbia for their first tri, that's one tough course!

2005-05-25 12:14 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on a great race Jeff!! Although, I gotta tell ya, I'm a little disappointed with your poor puke attempt!! 
2005-05-26 6:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Congrats Jeff...good work.
2005-05-27 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on your first tri Jeff! An sub-3 Oly no less. Way to go!

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 24th Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed