General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have I lost it altogether? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-27 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Subject: Have I lost it altogether?
Want the back story check out the blog, but have my training in the logs.

I just completed my 1st tri, a sprint .25mile, 14.8, 3.2. Finished within my goal of 1:40, making it by 33 seconds. I have the bug and love the training, the race was even better. This is what I was thinking. Continue with the sprint program, when that is over start the Olympic training, then go into the HIM training. However, I am now thinking what is the possibility of me actually competing in HIM Timberman next Aug 11? I was thinking do a sprint or 2 next year and an Oly or 2 as well.

This is where you come in.... I am wondering if I could complete Timberman next year. It is less than 11 months away. Am I jumping to far ahead of myself? Or is that a reasonable goal to shoot for in completing Timberman next year after only 1 sprint and just started training 5 weeks ago?

I have drank the kool-aid and I love it, I just want to make sure I am not over shooting myself. Thanks you guys were great in telling me to do my sprint in such a short time but I know a HIM is such a huge difference.

2009-09-27 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2428907

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: RE: Have I lost it altogether?

I completed the Silverman half almost exactly one year after I started training.  It was hard and I certainly could have benefited from more time to train, but I finished and wasn't DFL.  So yeah, I think you can do it.  Be careful, though... only you can decide how much is too much, and burnout and injury are on the other side of that line.  I've had some of both this year and I can directly attribute it to how I ended (or rather, didn't end) my season last year. 

Edited by froglegs 2009-09-27 10:21 PM
2009-09-27 10:35 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
JRowe81 - 2009-09-27 7:47 PM Want the back story check out the blog, but have my training in the logs.

I just completed my 1st tri, a sprint .25mile, 14.8, 3.2. Finished within my goal of 1:40, making it by 33 seconds. I have the bug and love the training, the race was even better. This is what I was thinking. Continue with the sprint program, when that is over start the Olympic training, then go into the HIM training. However, I am now thinking what is the possibility of me actually competing in HIM Timberman next Aug 11? I was thinking do a sprint or 2 next year and an Oly or 2 as well.

This is where you come in.... I am wondering if I could complete Timberman next year. It is less than 11 months away. Am I jumping to far ahead of myself? Or is that a reasonable goal to shoot for in completing Timberman next year after only 1 sprint and just started training 5 weeks ago?

I have drank the kool-aid and I love it, I just want to make sure I am not over shooting myself. Thanks you guys were great in telling me to do my sprint in such a short time but I know a HIM is such a huge difference.

A year is plenty of time to train for a HIM. Especially if you just want to finish. I volunteered at the Boise HIM in 2008 and decided there that i wanted to do it the next year. So I got off my lazy butt and trained for it and did it.
2009-09-28 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Just upped my training program from the Sprint 3x to the Oly 3x see how that goes... maybe will be a better indicator if I can do the HIM next year. Just worried about the base, which I am starting off on.
2009-09-28 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Congrats on finishing that first race! 

HIM next year?  It's really a matter of personal preference.  As long as you're willing to train and get the long (2-3 hour) rides and (1.5-2 hour) runs in, no reason to wait. 

Some people really, really like running long distance (like marathons) while some like to go as fast as they can in a 5K.  No reason you have to run 5K's if you prefer marathons and no reason you have to spend another year doing sprint tri's if you really want to do a half. 

2009-09-28 10:34 AM

User image

Master
My .02 Cents
I am in the same position. I am going to kick up my Training to above the Oly level and see how that goes. If my body does not buckle I will continue.
I am certain that I can complete the Oly, I am already training at near Oly levels, except for the run. Every thing depends on my Blood Glucose #'s and how my right knee holds up, I have Congol Malacia which really afffects my running, but I am willing to waddle across the finsih line if need be.

2009-09-28 11:42 AM

People can do a lot if they put their minds to it.  I woudl say sure, the HIM is do-able.  I know the area and the course well.  It is a long ride (almost to concord I think) and loads of hills.  Training is going to be the only issue.  With your recruiting schedule, and oh yeah, 4-5 months of winter, you will have to be real committed to the gym and the treadmill. 

That said, just build up into it and see what you can do.  You can always enter with a finish time goal in mind and shoot for that.  Just build slowly...

Lets get a ride and/or a run in this week. 

2009-09-28 11:50 AM

User image

Master
A full year of steady training and you could easily do a HIM.  Just increase your volumes in small increments to keep yourself healthy. 

2009-09-28 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
MD
Absolutely there is enough time. Find a good 1/2 IM training plan and stick to it and you'll do great.

Training for long course is a little different - you'll need to get used to being in the saddle for longer periods of time and running a lot longer distances. Concentrate on building up your base level endurance, build it up slowly (to prevent injury). Spend some time learning about nutrition, as this becomes an important part of the race. Practice your nutrition plan as part of your training so you can ensure that you'll be prepared for a long race that could be 5,6,7 or more hours long.

2009-09-28 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Plenty of time for Timberman.  I did my first sprint in June this year and did Timberman 2 1/2 months later.  Started training in January for the first time and tought myself how to swim.  11 months is enough time for sure if you train smart and are dedicated.

My unsolicited advice though would be to bag the sprint training and start shifting your focus to get your base up more with longer sessions in everything this offseason and you'll be in a great spot to start your training progam next spring.  You need to respect the distance and it is very different than a sprint race where you can kind of wing it even if you aren't adequately trained.
2009-09-28 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
You guys seriously rock! I'm so glad I found this forum/site!! I just upgraded to Silver from Bronze and found the other training programs which are great! I am doing the beginner Olympic 56 day program starting today. After the 56 days I will jump into the HIM training! I am seriously considering doing this, and just want to see how the 56 days go before I bump into the HIM training. If all that is solid then Here Goes Timberman!!

Chandy... forgot about the 5k when I emailed you, I'd be up for a run this week need to try and keep up with someone since I suck at running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have I lost it altogether? Rss Feed