Premier Event Management
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 51m
Overall Rank = 27/alot
Age Group = W25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/126
Pre-race routine:

got up and had my pb and banana. more nauseated than normal eating early. got to transition early since it was packed. there were 3100 athletes at this race. Neil dropped me off just about 1/4 mile from transition and you have to walk in. Got my gear set early. My wave wasn't until 8:26 but I got there around 5:15 just because I was afraid of the logistics. If you were to forget something at this race, it would be a mess!
Got on a shuttle bus and headed to the swim start to meet my husband. The bus drives the 1.2 miles up the river and they had plenty of shuttles even for the people who left at the last minute. I heard there were no lines or anything. Waited at swim start where they would announce the different waves going off, all with different colored caps. It was easy to find your group when it came time and get in the right place. Got to watch the pro's get ready right next to me!
Event warmup:

No chance for warmup in this one unless you ran back at transition. No point though since that was so long before the start. Once your wave was called you walked down and hopped in the water and that was it! Time to go!
Swim
  • 23m 45s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

The only thing that was a little unfair is that when you hopped in the current started sucking you down. The starter kept calling the girls in my wave back but they wouldn't come back all the way so I started at a couple bodylength disadvantage since I didn't want to cheat. I tried to keep to the middle of the river figuring the current was better there but I had only one girl to draft off of then. I probably veered a bit too so that could have been better.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe have gone towards the banks and stuck with the masses but I still think being in the middle of the river may have had its advantages too.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Had the best wetsuit strip ever. Must have taken 2.5 seconds and I was off and going. I really stuffed all my things into my shoes since the transition was crowded. I didn't want to get there and not be able to find my stuff. Not the fastest way but it worked fine.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off at a pretty good pace and stayed within my zones well. For the first 30 miles no one passed me at all, I was just flying by everyone and feeling great. I was a bit nauseated from drinking a lot of HEED. I made the bad decision not to carry water and I think I needed it. After about 30 miles my back kept tightening and almost cramping up on me. I crashed while warming up on Saturday (there's some sketchy railroad tracks outside the transition area that were wet, you don't have to go over them in the race). I think that crash affected my back. I could feel my right piriformis clicking back and forth while I was pedaling. I had a tough time mentally on the back half of the bike. I ran out of steam to keep attacking the hills and there was often no down hill after a climb to recover and get my speed back. Two girls passed me in my age group and I kept them in sight for a bit but eventually had to let them go. I really slowed up and it sucked. I think the first half my average was close to 22.0 and it dropped to 21 by the end of the bike. Bummer.

Gotta get my nutrition right. I think I went in with an ironman approach for a 70.3 and my stomach couldn't handle the calories at that intensity. I also need to focus more. I kind of lost my focus in the middle and got discouraged when those girls passed me. They weren't riding that much faster and I should have stuck with them.
I also need to ride more hills! I felt better than I ever have on hills, really really strong on them. But relative to girls my age group I still suck at them.
Still, this was a HUGE improvement for me. I just have to stick with it and keep getting stronger on the bike.
As for my back, I'm pretty sure the crash caused that because when I got massage after (I was almost in tears limping in to the massage tent hunched over), it was only the right side my back that was the problem. I had fallen onto my right side.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

got a little mixed up where the run out was. also a little tough finding my bike spot which took up some time. I took too many gels in my pocket and had to drop some to neil so they would stop bouncing around!

be sure of where entrances and exits are.
Run
  • 1h 42m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

So I started zone 3 as instructed and felt great. I was holding at 7:00 pace at first. I tried to hold back a bit and just watch my heart rate zones. I was instructed to go zone 4 after 6 miles and try to neg split. I knew I could do it but already felt a bit apprehensive about it mentally. I was hot and my stomach was not the best. My back felt fine being upright and off the bike. I was really really thirsty though and I began to drink too much at the aid stations. I wasn't sure what to do. Not drink enough and potentially get too dehydrated or slow down to get the fluids in. My stomach would cramp after the aide stations and I would slow to get things to settle expecting to pick it back up again. But it just wasn't there. I slowed and slowed the whole way. I wasn't in a good place mentally and my stomach was fighting cramps. I wish I could have kept a more positive mindset because I could have caught a few girls in my age group but I just wanted it to be over and I ignored my heart rate and pace just focusing on getting it over with. I was really disappointed that I didn't have more to give on the run but in hindsight, my goal was to be around 1:40 and under 1:45 so I'm not sure why I'm so disappointed in my run.

Nutrition. Gotta get it right next time. I tried hammer's liquid endurance and I don't know that it really helped me with the heat, in fact I wonder if its part of what was giving my stomach fits. I think I need other salt tabs than endurolytes too. They seem to always give me gas and pain in my left side when I take them. So next year I need to play with my nutrition more. I need to stay tough mentally and more focused. I need to not give up on myself when its tough and still squeeze every second out of it, even when I'm feeling crappy.
Post race
Warm down:

um.... limped to the massage tent in tears. They were soooo nice and put my in right away. I thought it was great that the triaged people and really put first the people that were a mess like me. They were so kind and I was actually able to stand up straight after he worked on me. So grateful. Later had to walk back to transition to get my stuff. I guess that was a warm down. There were shuttles back but we couldn't find them. Once I got my stuff, I rode back to the finish for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nutrition, mental state. I guess I just need to keep training and get faster, especially my run. I see the bike results but I have to make gains on my run for sure.

Event comments:

For as complicated as the logistics were, this was an EXCELLENT race. Fast and well organized. The volunteers were incredible and numerous. Can't say enough about how impressed I am with how this race was run with 3100 people there.

Last updated: 2009-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:45 | 2143 yards | 01m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/126
Overall: 0/alot
Performance: Good
Suit: QR long john
Course: Although the logistics of a point to point swim are tough, its so nice not worrying about getting off course. Just stay inside the bouys and swim in a straight line. The current was HONKING!!! For anyone who struggles on the swim or just wants a fast swim course, hop in this race. That has to be the fastest 70.3 swim on the planet, no question.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:39:43 | 56 miles | 21.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/126
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course was really nice. I enjoyed it. Rolling hills but nothing scary. Only small segments had a true headwind. Plenty of room to pass and well staffed with volunteers and police. I would re-ride this course every day if I lived in Augusta. The road surface was rough in places but nothing to obnoxious. Most of it was fine.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:42:43 | 13.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/126
Performance: Average
Course: flat and fast. Partially shaded in a grid pattern with multiple loops downtown. Tons of people to cheer you on and a beautiful run through the neat downtown augusta area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2009-09-28 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2429301

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Great job!! Our AG was a toughie yesterday... you would have fared better with that time in any of the other ones. I agree about that swim... Im going to have to train for years to get close to an "honest" swim that fast! Anyways, good job!
2009-09-28 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Impressive race!
2009-09-28 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great report and nice times!
2009-09-28 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Wow that was solid all the way around, great race =)
2009-09-28 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
ATLrunner-what is the deal with our age group this year?! It just gets faster and faster and I would venture to argue that all ironman races (70.3 and full) W25-29 has been the fastest age group. Guess I should have kids now and come back at 30-34 (LOL!!!)Check out my blog in a few days, I'll post pics of the race (libbybergman.blogspot.com)thanks guys!

2009-09-28 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2429803

User image

Extreme Veteran
haha to family planning based on triathlon! Seriously, though. This is my first year doing tris and my first 70.3, but at a bunch of other races this year, our ag has been the toughest. Sure wish I started at 20-24!

Anyways, I would have thought that 5:01 would have gotten me better than 11th, but I guess thats just motivation to keep on training! Congrats again!
2009-09-28 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

Great job Libby. This looks like the 70.3 to do for a PR.

2009-09-28 2:28 PM

User image

Elite
Wow!  Smokin' fast...congrats!
2009-09-28 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Great job out there.  Now it is time for you to take a well deserved break.  You might want to check out Infinit for nutrition, I've had good luck with it.  Congrats on a great race. 

2009-09-29 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Super report!  I loved the bike and run course.  I am definately doing it next year!

2009-09-29 9:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Great race...you must have snuck by me at some point??  I was in a few waves ahead of you!  Wink  You're age group is a challening one...this is my first year in the 30-34 and believe it or not it doesn't get any easier as we age up.  The fast girls just get faster!  You should know...you'll be one of them!

Congrats on an awesome day!
2009-10-02 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2433260

User image

Veteran

canadarn- thanks !! I must have seen you out there somewhere!
bummer, I had high hopes it would get easier guess I have to get faster!

2009-10-03 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Great race and nice race report too.....I saw someone crash on those railroad track on Saturday...but I think it was someone else. Glad it didn't affect your race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed