Start 2 Finish
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 52s
Overall Rank = 65/176
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6am. Ate a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and wheat germ. I loaded my gear in my car and left for the drive to the race site at 7am. Arrived at race site at 7:30am. Set up transition, took bike to bike mechanic's tent to have front derailleur adjusted. Visited with MTR team mates until pre-race meeting at 8:15am. I drank 8 oz of OJ, checked my BG (279 mg/dl) as transition closed at 8:15 for the pre-race meeting, and disconnected and packed my insulin pump in my transition bag for the duration of the race.
Event warmup:

None - too much time waiting my turn with bike mechanic for derailleur adjustment. I did some light stretching while listening to the pre-race talk.
Run
  • 13m 26s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I ran well and was happy with my time. I was concerned that I may have gone out too fast and would pay for it later. Low humidity and cooler temps. were very nice.
What would you do differently?:

Pack a back up HR monitor in my transition bag. Checked the battery status of my Forerunner off the charger to verify that it is fully charged. I would have also left my sunglasses in transition and saved them for the bike. The run route was in the shade for the most part. My glasses filled with sweat and clouded up during the run and remained cloudy during the bike, restricting my visibility. I left them in T2 for the second run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I forgot to remove the cleat covers from my bike shoes before the race, so I lost some time pulling the covers off.

Remove cleat covers from bike shoes before the race starts or simply leave them at home on race day. Leave sunglasses in transition and save for the bike.
Bike
  • 48m 48s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed hard on the bike, giving it an all out effort from the start. Of the two hairpin 2 u-turns on the course, I was involved in an accident at the second u-turn. The competitor in front of me was not able to negotiate a full turn, lost momentum before he could clip out and fell over. I was committed to the turn when he went down and I ran over his bike. I went over my handlebars, landing on my right shoulder. The bike survived okay. The fall bent the right brake hood / gear shift assembly about 45 degrees from its upright position, I dropped a chain and ejected my water bottle. I scraped up my right shoulder from the impact, and got a strawberry on my right elbow and sprained my right ring finger. I lost about a minute getting back on the bike and on the course.

Allow more spacing between the rider in front of me and myself on tight u-turns. Consider clipping out the inside foot going into a hairpin U turn and clip back in coming out of the turn. Be extremely cautious in the future when approaching u-turns in races.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

No issues that I recall in T2. I felt a little banged up from the bike accident and decided to come to unclip, stop and dismount at T2 rather than risk another mishap on a flying dismount. I also figured that my bike time wss going to be off since I was in an accident and lost some time there.

Stay on the bike for entire bike segment.
Run
  • 14m 32s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The second run was tough, especially having run the same course earlier and knowing where the tough segments were on the route. Climbing the hill on the return to the outlet mall parking lot was a killer. I'm very happy with my run time, one of my best run time averages since I have been doing multi-sport.

Verify that my Garmin Forerunner is fully charged to capture HR data for post-race analysis. Keep a backup watch in my transition bag.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do a warm down. After the finish, I went to the medical area to get treatment for a scrape on my right shoulder and elbow from the bike wreck. I hooked my insulin pump back up and checked blood sugar (162 mg/dl). I then joined a few fellow MTR members and shared race experiences.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cloudy sunglasses with lens covered in sweat at the end of the first run and during the bike. Bike accident at the second hairpin u-turn. Having to take time to remove cleat covers on my bike shoes in T1.

Event comments:

This was my first duathlon and last multi-sport event of a short 09 tri season for me. Aside from my bike wreck, I'm happy with my overall performance. This was one of my better events dealing with diabetes. Blood sugar was 279 mg/dl at the start and a 162 mg/dl at the finish. I disconnected my insulin pump for the duration of my race and made a low insulin correction .5u when I restarted the pump after I finished. The weather was great with sunny skies and mild temperatures, course support and volunteers were strong and there was a good turnout for the race. I look forward to doing this event again and improving my time next year.

Last updated: 2009-08-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:26 | 02 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 0/176
Performance: Good
Although I had fully charged my Garmin Forerunner and it indicated that is was fully charged on the charger, the watched gave me a low battery signal and shut off a few minutes before the race start. Thus, I have no heart rate or split time data for the run segments.
Course: An out and back course on a rural ahaded road with a nice downhill on the outbound leg and a somewhat challenging uphill on the return leg, followed by a lap around the Lakeland Outlet Mall.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:48:48 | 15 miles | 18.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/17
Avg. HR 161 Max HR 171, Avg. Power 253 Watts, Norm Power 265, TSS 168.6 (intensity factor 1.47)
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back route from Lakeland Outlet Mall with a 2 mile spur off the main route on the return leg. A few hills and one steep hill climb about 2 miles from the bike finish. Vehicle traffic was almost nonexistent. Roads were in good shape. Two hairpin U turns on the route, the second of which was especially tight (see comments below).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:14:32 | 02 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/17
No HR or split data. My Garmin Forerunner konked out minutes before the start of the duathlon.
Course: Same out and back course as the first run. After circling the outlet mall, instead of going to T1, the runners were directed to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 10:33 AM

User image

Germantown, TN
Subject: Los Locos Duathlon

2009-09-28 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2429616

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Los Locos Duathlon

Great race, sorry to hear about the bike wreck, I hate turnarounds for that very reason. Glad it was nothing more serious!

2009-09-28 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2430244

User image

Germantown, TN
Subject: RE: Los Locos Duathlon
Thanks!  Congrats to you on your performance!

I'm feeling a little banged up today, but my bike is in good shape and ready to ride again, thank goodness Wink .  The second u turn on that course, located on the spur road, had an especially tight radius.  I learned a valuable lesson about keeping plenty of distance between myself and any cyclists in front of me going into turnarounds.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Locos Duathlon Rss Feed