General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two interesting things happened at my first Sprint. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
PA
Subject: Two interesting things happened at my first Sprint.
So not being a very experienced tri person, I found these two experiences pretty amusing:

1.  The bike racks were very low.  Many folks could not get their bikes under the bars to rest the seat on them.  I saw someone hook their brake levers over the bar since their bike would not fit.  I figured that was a much better idea than lifting the bar up once I came into T1.  I walked over and lifted the bar to get my bike out and CLANG!  One of the legs of the bike rack fell out.  Here I am holding my bike with one hand and holding a bike rack (with 5 other bikes hanging on) with the other.  Luckily there was someone nearby to grab the leg off the ground and put it back in.  Since I was in the first swim heat, had this happend during T1, I would have been stuck. 

2.  During the swim, the guy next to me got tired and switched to breast stroke.  I felt something hit me the next three times we passed in the lane but on the 4th time, WHAM... he kicked me in the ribs.  It didn't hurt that badly but it did stop me dead in the water from just the unexpected shock. 

Anyway.. thought I would share.  It definitely added to the event.

2009-09-28 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2429856

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Two interesting things happened at my first Sprint.

Geez!  Wild day!

I was racked on the end one time and one of the end support poles came out (T2). I was yelling, holding the crossbar up so all of the bikes didn't spill over onto each other, and finally a USAT official came over and grabbed it.  Cost me a good 20 seconds.

2009-09-28 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
PA
Pector55 - 2009-09-28 1:03 PM   I walked over and lifted the bar to get my bike out and CLANG!  One of the legs of the bike rack fell out.  Here I am holding my bike with one hand and holding a bike rack (with 5 other bikes hanging on) with the other. 

yeah right!  i saw you over there tossing junk around like a bull in a china closet! 
just kidding.
nice to meet up with you there at the Y.  hopefully we'll meet up again at some races next year!
until then...happy training!
2009-09-28 1:18 PM

That's odd about the bike racks - definitely haven't seen that before.

In terms of people breaststroking - I see that all the time. The 25-29 women (and the few instances where I've done relays) are never in the first wave, at least not that I've experienced. And have had plenty of narrow misses of getting kicked in the chest by some big dude who I caught up to. Actually got kicked in the gut at my last race by a breaststroking Clydesdale, though luckily, not very hard.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two interesting things happened at my first Sprint. Rss Feed