General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Timeline and Milestones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 12:37 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Running Timeline and Milestones
I just want to ask all of you guys about a few things to do with running. I am an un-athletic person just starting to run, and I can me it 3.11mi in 37min. I would like to make it to a 11:30mi in about a week but I really dont think that is possible

1. How long did it take you from not running to making it 3mi without stopping?
2. How much time does it take you to shave off 30sec from your pace time?
3. When do you prefer to run (time of day)?
4. What was your first 5k time?
5. What are some good remedies for a sore bodyUndecided?
6. How many times did you run a week when you started?

Thanks all, I am just trying to see where I fall and to set a few goals for myself!

2009-09-28 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2429933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: RE: Running Timeline and Milestones
mmproch - 2009-09-28 1:37 PM I just want to ask all of you guys about a few things to do with running. I am an un-athletic person just starting to run, and I can me it 3.11mi in 37min. I would like to make it to a 11:30mi in about a week but I really dont think that is possible

Thanks all, I am just trying to see where I fall and to set a few goals for myself!

1.) Pretty much my entire first season.  A big part of it was learning pacing.
2.) In the beginning?  Probably not too much.  As you train more and get closer to your potential, those big drops just aren't going to happen as much.  I'd jump for joy taking 15 seconds off a 5K time, but you'll see larger improvements than that just by virtue of just starting out.
3.) 8:30-9:00 or so in the morning, with coffee, water and some fruit on board.  This really varies by person though.  You need to find out what works best for you.  I myself like to do it while I'm fresh and before I get to busy with work/etc.
4.)  Man, I think I started around the 38 minute mark.  I remember it taking months to break 30 and being SO ecstatic when I finally did.  That was a huge milestone for me.
5.) Heh.  Lots of stretching and ice if necessary.  I try to stay away from the Advil unless REALLY hurting. 
6.) Five or six, but this was stupid of me.  (Hey, I had no coach and no idea what I was doing.)  I would start with three, maybe a fourth light, easy day at most.

Just my opinion.  I am not a coach nor a tri superstar like some around this parts...(looks at Jorge and Bryan)
2009-09-28 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview
First off just keep the pace slow and get to where you can cover more distance.  After you get a 200-300 miles then you could play around with varying pace.

Stretch a lot and just keep running.  You will have a break through one day and you will never look back.  Don't push it too fast too soon or you could become injured and then you surely won't hit your goals.
2009-09-28 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I'm not a very good runner either, but i'll try to help where i can.

1) It took a good 3 weeks or so.  I still run/walk sometimes even at 3 miles.  Depends on how i'm feeling.  Basically i run a mile, walk for 1 minute (aid station), run up to the next mile.  Same thing until I complete my run.  Eventually you build up and it's not so bad.

2)  I wouldn't think it would take that long to shave some time off your pace.  You just have to build your base.  I'm currently doing the same thing, so i'm still looking to improve.  My understanding is that once you build mileage, your shorter distance times come down.

3) I typically run during the week after work around 5:30pm and on the weekend at 7am in the morning, but mine are due to time constraints and family.  I prefer the morning runs, as they tend to be cooler.

4) My first 5k time was about 36:00, 12 min miles.   The last 5k i did, i pushed traded off with my wife pushing a double stroller, and finished in 36:00 minutes, so i figure i would have probably run about 33:00 5k.  I'm running another 5k in about 2 weeks.

5) Don't know.  I'm using a heating pad some, some people take ice baths, others have mentioned massage theoropy.  Stretching after your runs will also help.  I've heard Yoga is good in building stretching and building your core area which is important in running.

6) I tried to run 3-4 times a week when starting out. 

Typically, your not supposed to add too much to your runs from 1 week to another.  I would find a couch to 5k plan and work through that first.  See if that helps you improve.  The idea is to build a good base, then work on the other things.

Hope some of this helps.  I'm not an expert either on running.  Just what I've run across/did.

6)
2009-09-28 1:08 PM

Extreme Veteran

mmproch - 2009-09-28 1:37 PM I just want to ask all of you guys about a few things to do with running. I am an un-athletic person just starting to run, and I can me it 3.11mi in 37min. I would like to make it to a 11:30mi in about a week but I really dont think that is possible

It took me maybe 2 or 3 weeks until I could consistently run 3 miles without stopping.  After I bumped my usual run up to 6 miles, I still, after a year or so, find myself stopping at odd times, but I can say 9 times out of 10 I'll finish the 6 miles non-stop

The first 30 seconds will fall off fast.  The next 30 pretty quick too.  I'm trying to trim 15 seconds off my marathon pace.  I'm giving myself 9 months to do it and will be doing speedwork for the first time.  You will see big improvements going from out-of-shape to in-shape and you should see them fast(ish).  A year or two from now, the improvement will be smaller and harder won, but probably worth it even more.  I'm hoping to trim 10-15 seconds off my marathon pace.  I'll be spending the next 9 months doing it and will probably do speed work for the first time to get it done.  Or losing 15 pounds might just do it too.

Early morning before traffic starts moving.  I run in a reflective vest with a flashing light when its really dark out.

2009-09-28 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA

How I Started

Hospitalized for CHF: Aug 05
First Swim: Sept 05
First Time Running: Oct 7, 05 (Started a C25k plan from coolrunning.com)
First 3+ mile Run: Dec 31, 05 (15:30 pace)

Spent the winter running 4x/week, starting at 3 miles per run.  One run got progressively longer.

First 5k Race: Feb 14, 2006 (10:12 Pace)
5M Race: Mar 4, 2006 (9:48 Pace)
Second 5k Race: April 9, 2006 (8:45 Pace)
First HM: May 21, 2006 (9:39 Pace)

Summer training:  More Bike / Less Run (3x/week)

Third 5k Race: Sept 2, 2006 (8:07 Pace)
Second HM: Sept 24, 2006 (9:07 Pace)

Started a 8 week 5k training Plan (5-6 runs per week)

Fourth 5K Race: Nov 26, 2006 (7:26 Pace)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane

Edited by StarGazer 2009-09-28 1:28 PM

2009-09-28 2:23 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
To the best of my recollection...

About a month.

It depends on how we measure. I have periods of rapid progress followed by periods of little to no progress.

When it isn't hot.

I've never done an open 5k race.  In my first tri, I supposedly ran 20:34, but I'm morally certain that the course was short.  I was probably on more like a 7:00/mile pace.

Do something active but low-impact.  Swimming is good. 

Twice.  I quickly upped it to 3x, though.  Running 2x/week leads to injury for me, but 3x/week is OK.  4x/week is better.

2009-09-28 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
1.  I started out run / walking a 5k in about 33 minutes.  Could run 5k in 29 minutes without stopping in about 8 weeks and was running in under 27 minutes within 16 weeks.  Now I am down to about 22 minutes (3 years later)

2.  Early on, gains were immediate.  Would drop a 30 seconds a month.  Now it takes a full year to shave 30 seconds. 

3.  Summer, I ran in the morning to beat the Georgia Heat.  Winter I run in the evenings after the day has warmed up abit. 

4.  First 5k - 33 and some change

5 - Massage from the wife, ice bath, rolling stick on calves and quads / hamstrings

6 - Ran 2 times a week to get started.  Still only run 2 x lots of weeks, sometimes I sneak in 3. 

Good luck, 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Timeline and Milestones Rss Feed