General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HED wheels question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: HED wheels question
I am getting ready to go check out a pair of wheels very shortly and have been asking some questions, but I am just trying to dig up information. 

wheels

They are a set of HED wheels, tubular, they say from the early 90s?

Also says right now there is a 7 speed cassette on it, my biggest point is to make sure that it is truly a cassette and has a shimano freehub.  They said a friend borrowed for a tri this year and put on their 10 spd shimano cassette so it sounds legit.

I am going to check them out since they are priced at 100 bucks for wheels, tires, cassette (worthless to me), and skewers.

I figure even if the tires are almost shot, for the price I would have in them, I could afford tires for them. 

Just wondering if anyone could help identify them or know anything based on their looks.  I am not overly concerned about weight, but also do not want to lug around wheels that are as heavy as my new bike. 

I suppose the main thing is checking them out, was just looking for additional info if anyone can provide any.

2009-09-28 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2430267

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
Subject: RE: HED wheels question
I bought a set of wheels similar to these off ebay earlier this year - HED Cx, with Shimano 600 (now Ultegra) hubs. They looked practically new. I paid about $280 for the pair; add in another $150 for 3 tubulars (don't forget a spare), glue, etc. They spun nice, but had the hubs rebuilt anyway before a recent race ($32) - my mechanic at the LBS commented on what sweet wheels they were.

Bottom line - $100 bucks is a great deal as long as they are structurally sound. HED has been making great wheels for years. I'm sure the new ones are a little lighter, look cooler, and maybe spin a little bit faster (enough to save a few sec over 40k) but they will set you back about 1900 more dollars...
2009-09-28 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Great thanks for the speedy response.  I figure if they work, (will get me used to using a tubular and give me a more aero set of wheels than normal) they will be worth a shot.  Gonna check them out tonight and spend some more cash i probably dont need to!
2009-09-28 7:23 PM

User image

Columbia, MD
you might want to bring a ruler and measure the OLD just to make sure. 7s hubs (freehub or not) were 126mm, modern frames and 8s and up hubs are 130. You can't put a cassette with more than 7 speeds on a 7-speed freehub. Better yet, bring your bike and try to install the rear.

Early 90s was sort of a flux time, shimano was phasing out 126 and 7s in favor of 130mm OLDs, some frames were compatible with some wheels, others weren't, some frames had 128mm dropouts to try and fit both.
2009-09-28 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Problem solved, as I figured some whack job story came up and the wheels were gone.

Something came up at work and the guy had to work late, and somehow ihs wife sold them already during the day.  Should have known better than getting this lucky!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HED wheels question Rss Feed