General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. George-like Rides in LA? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 4:14 PM

User image

Subject: St. George-like Rides in LA?
Hey Los Angeles riders!  I live in Sherman Oaks and will be competing in Ironman St. George in May.  Not sure if there are any others out there on this board.  If so, wondering if anyone knows of local rides that would be similar in profile to the St. George route.  From what I can tell, stuff down off PCH (Kanan, etc.) or out on Angeles Crest are much steeper than what we'd see in St. George.  I'd like to get some miles in on routes that would be similar in profile if possible.  If you know of any, I'd love to learn about them.

Thanks!

2009-09-28 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2430497

User image

Subject: RE: St. George-like Rides in LA?
I'll pretty much guarantee if you spend the winter riding Latigo, Piuma, Yerba Buena, Mulholland etc., you are going to be more than ready for the St George hills.  If it were me, I'd train on harder terrain rather than looking for something similar
2009-09-28 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Hi...I live in your area and will be doing St. George as well.  Most of my hillier rides out the door tend to be east into the Verdugos and the San Gabriel foothills with some rides up into the hills at the north end of the Valley.  My rides longer than 60 miles on those circuits tend to have about 2000' of total climbing.

Just for some convenient hill repeats, Reseda Blvd south from Ventura up to the top and Woodley north from Rinaldi (then continue into the neighborhood west of Balboa) are good...Woodley has a climb of 12+% for about 1/3 mile right off the bat...that's about the same as the toughest climb on the IMSG course from what I've read.
2009-09-28 9:31 PM

User image

Most of Angeles Crest is closer to 5% -- not as steep as Malibu but the routes tend to be longer uphill.  However, at the moment all the roads into the Forest are still closed as Caltrans repairs the guardrails and shores up the hills.  Big T, Little T, Angeles Crest, Angeles Hwy, Aliso Canyon, Chantry, Rt 39 and GMR all closed.  Hoping to hear they're opening the road up to Clear Creek soon.

See here

and here

Am so glad I spent almost every weekend up there training this past year.  I may never get to ride Upper Big Tujunga again in my lifetime...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. George-like Rides in LA? Rss Feed