General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Pacing Theories Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 5:02 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Subject: Marathon Pacing Theories
I have read various sources that explain a few different outlooks on the best way to pace yourself for the marathon. I understand that each runner and theorist is different, thus there is no universal right- but I wanted to look on here for opinions.

On a personal level, I am running my first marathon in two weeks- so I also ask what you think would be best for a first-time marathon runner. My goal time is about 4:15. I ran 18 miles very conservatively yesterday keeping 10:02, and did a 1/2 last weekend without a taper keeping 9:08. In order to reach my goal of 4:15, I am looking to keep a little over a 9:32 pace. Should I do the best I can to consistently keep every mile at 9:32? (beyond mile 18 for me is uncharted territory- I understand the game can change then) Or go out conservatively, around a 10:00 pace for the beginning miles, then try to negative split/speed up later? Or keep a slightly faster pace in the beginning (9:15 or so), hold it for as long as I can, then go slower in the later miles when my legs will be naturally slowing down anyways?

What do you think is the best way to pace?

2009-09-28 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2430582

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: Marathon Pacing Theories
ering305 - 2009-09-28 6:02 PM I have read various sources that explain a few different outlooks on the best way to pace yourself for the marathon. I understand that each runner and theorist is different, thus there is no universal right- but I wanted to look on here for opinions. On a personal level, I am running my first marathon in two weeks- so I also ask what you think would be best for a first-time marathon runner. My goal time is about 4:15. I ran 18 miles very conservatively yesterday keeping 10:02, and did a 1/2 last weekend without a taper keeping 9:08. In order to reach my goal of 4:15, I am looking to keep a little over a 9:32 pace. Should I do the best I can to consistently keep every mile at 9:32? (beyond mile 18 for me is uncharted territory- I understand the game can change then) Or go out conservatively, around a 10:00 pace for the beginning miles, then try to negative split/speed up later? Or keep a slightly faster pace in the beginning (9:15 or so), hold it for as long as I can, then go slower in the later miles when my legs will be naturally slowing down anyways? What do you think is the best way to pace?

A 4:15 marathon is about a 9:43 pace.

A 9:32 pace is a 4:10 marathon.

I would NOT try to negative split, NOR would I try to bank time at the beginning.

I would go out at a 9:40 pace and hold that for the hold race. If you feel good at mile 18 (hehe), pick it up !

I've gone out too fast - unintentionally, I just felt really good! - and paid for it at the end.  The gains you get by going fast at the beginning are not enough to offset how much that can cause you to slow down in the end (does that make sense??)

good luck and have fun ! the first marathon is a special one
2009-09-28 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I don't know that there is a single best way. Some of pacing can be dependent on the course profile. Knowing a profile in advance can greatly help with planning. If there are big hills that will cause a slower pace, then that needs to be calculated over the remaining miles.

Ideally it would be good to hold an even pace throughout. That's much easier said than done. In my 8 marathons I've never done it. I've only had a negative split once.

There are some calculators that will allow you to put in your predicted time and give a pace chart based on when you think you will have to slow. I don't have a link, but you can likely google it.

If you're doing a big race sometimes people have calculators available that will give times based on the course profile. I know this was helpful when I ran St. George, and I found this calculator on that race's online forum.
2009-09-28 7:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
ering305 - 2009-09-28 5:02 PM I have read various sources that explain a few different outlooks on the best way to pace yourself for the marathon. I understand that each runner and theorist is different, thus there is no universal right- but I wanted to look on here for opinions. On a personal level, I am running my first marathon in two weeks- so I also ask what you think would be best for a first-time marathon runner. My goal time is about 4:15. I ran 18 miles very conservatively yesterday keeping 10:02, and did a 1/2 last weekend without a taper keeping 9:08. In order to reach my goal of 4:15, I am looking to keep a little over a 9:32 pace. Should I do the best I can to consistently keep every mile at 9:32? (beyond mile 18 for me is uncharted territory- I understand the game can change then) Or go out conservatively, around a 10:00 pace for the beginning miles, then try to negative split/speed up later? Or keep a slightly faster pace in the beginning (9:15 or so), hold it for as long as I can, then go slower in the later miles when my legs will be naturally slowing down anyways? What do you think is the best way to pace?

Chicago?
2009-09-28 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran

Do not try to "bank time" by going out fast and trying to hang on for the last 6 miles or so.  I would say if you are shooting for a 9:40 pace, I would try and run the first mile about 9:50 (it will seem slow- enjoy it), 2nd about 9:45, and then try to settle into a 9:35 pace for the race.  I will not ever wear a garmin during a race again.  All I did was look at my watch.  I only wear my timex ironman and take splits at every mile.  You can see if you need to pick up the pace a little or back off a little.  Hopefully you feel good about mile 23 and you can pick up the pace-heck run a sub 20 5K if you feel up to it there.

I would also plan out your race.  Are you taking gels, edurolytes, gatorade?  Do you need to carry these things or are they provided?  Also, you may want to find a pace group if they are offered-always nice to let someone else do the thinking and you can just enjoy the race.

2009-09-28 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2430859

User image

Regular
NYC
Thanks for all the input so far- it's the Hartford Marathon, Oct. 10th.

I ran the half there last year- it shared the course with the full-and it was not too hilly- and I have checked out the site for a map of the course grade. That's a good idea to check it again to know which miles will be slower due to some hills.

I've gotten some practice taking gels and water on my long runs and have planned out when I will take them... also thinking about different scenarios and how I will deal with them. (Stomach issues, foot issues, rain, etc.)

Any other advice on how to prepare in these last 2 weeks? The excitement and nerves are kicking in...

2009-09-28 8:27 PM

User image

Colorado
Definitely, definitely don't go out hard and try to hang on. That is the strategy most likely to fail. The pacing strategy that I would recommend is to do the first mile a little slower than the 9:44 average (maybe about 9:55-10:00), then settle in at 9:40 the rest of the way. Once you're two or three miles out from the finish and know you're going to make it, pick it up if you can. That's when to hit it hard if you're able. If you crash at that point, you can usually gut it out for a mile or two to get to the finish ling with a still-respectable time. If you instead go hard at the beginning and crash early, you could be in for a horrendous day in which you fall way short of your goal or even end up with a DNF.
2009-09-28 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2430592

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
trishie - 2009-09-28 5:13 PM
ering305 - 2009-09-28 6:02 PM I have read various sources that explain a few different outlooks on the best way to pace yourself for the marathon. I understand that each runner and theorist is different, thus there is no universal right- but I wanted to look on here for opinions. On a personal level, I am running my first marathon in two weeks- so I also ask what you think would be best for a first-time marathon runner. My goal time is about 4:15. I ran 18 miles very conservatively yesterday keeping 10:02, and did a 1/2 last weekend without a taper keeping 9:08. In order to reach my goal of 4:15, I am looking to keep a little over a 9:32 pace. Should I do the best I can to consistently keep every mile at 9:32? (beyond mile 18 for me is uncharted territory- I understand the game can change then) Or go out conservatively, around a 10:00 pace for the beginning miles, then try to negative split/speed up later? Or keep a slightly faster pace in the beginning (9:15 or so), hold it for as long as I can, then go slower in the later miles when my legs will be naturally slowing down anyways? What do you think is the best way to pace?

A 4:15 marathon is about a 9:43 pace.

A 9:32 pace is a 4:10 marathon.

I would NOT try to negative split, NOR would I try to bank time at the beginning.

I would go out at a 9:40 pace and hold that for the hold race. If you feel good at mile 18 (hehe), pick it up !

I've gone out too fast - unintentionally, I just felt really good! - and paid for it at the end.  The gains you get by going fast at the beginning are not enough to offset how much that can cause you to slow down in the end (does that make sense??)

good luck and have fun ! the first marathon is a special one

And why does one not want to negative split?
2009-09-28 8:47 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

One way to tackle a marathon from pacing standpoint is to break it up as 10/10/10.

1st 10 miles - start and build towards your goal pace over the first mile; you want to take the first ten miles at this pace and while it will likely feel too easy, don't push the pace to back time.

2nd 10 miles - aim to hang on to your goal pace; it will become more challenging and require focus and if you paced the first ten well, these should be well within your means.

Final 10km - at this point you can pickup the pace a little if you are feeling good or you are simply going to try to hang on.  Solid pacing through the first 20 miles will set you up to feel you can put in a strong effort over the last 6.2.  If you negative split the race, this will the section where you make up a little time.

Note with a negative split that you are aiming to be only slightly faster on the second half; if you go out in 2:15 and back in 2:00, although you have a negative split, you have likley left a solid amount of time on the course.

Good luck,

Shane

2009-09-28 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
I haven't run a marathon yet, but I am training for one in December.  So, take this for what it's worth.  Since your longest run has been 18 miles, I will share something that has been said to me by a couple of experienced marathoners.  There are two halves to the race; the first 20 miles and the last 6.2 miles.  Plan accordingly.

I got the message.  I plan to take it easy for the first twenty so I can be sure to make it to the finish without cramping up.  I will adjust my pace on the fly during the last 4-6 miles depending on how I feel and let the time be whatever it turns out to be.  No pressure since it will be my first.

Greg
2009-09-28 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2431007

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
gsmacleod - 2009-09-28 6:47 PM

One way to tackle a marathon from pacing standpoint is to break it up as 10/10/10.

1st 10 miles - start and build towards your goal pace over the first mile; you want to take the first ten miles at this pace and while it will likely feel too easy, don't push the pace to back time.

2nd 10 miles - aim to hang on to your goal pace; it will become more challenging and require focus and if you paced the first ten well, these should be well within your means.

Final 10km - at this point you can pickup the pace a little if you are feeling good or you are simply going to try to hang on.  Solid pacing through the first 20 miles will set you up to feel you can put in a strong effort over the last 6.2.  If you negative split the race, this will the section where you make up a little time.

Note with a negative split that you are aiming to be only slightly faster on the second half; if you go out in 2:15 and back in 2:00, although you have a negative split, you have likley left a solid amount of time on the course.

Good luck,

Shane

Good post.  I'm a really firm believer in the notion that a marathon divides pretty much into thirds for most of us mortals...first 8-10 miles should be firmly within any remotely properly trained marathoner's comfortable base and my goal is to make it through that section at a pace that leaves me basically without any major discomfort.  Next 9 miles or so are where you have to really manage the race:  The deeper you can get into this segment without slipping into real suffering or seeing your pace fall off dramatically, the better your outcome.  Last 7-9 miles are going to be painful for pretty much everyone...by mile 20 (if not much sooner), you'll know if you have any capacity to pick up the pace or if you're into survival mode.

My tendency has been to go with the flow for the first couple miles...take it relaxed and take what the pack and adrenaline might give me.  The key in my experience has been to make sure I've settled down into my goal pace by mile 3.  When I've done that, I've had a good race.

2009-09-29 6:53 AM

User image

Runner

I can tell you what my strategy has been...

I just go.  I don't really worry a lot about a specific pace, because that's naturally going to vary for each mile.  I've seen people get themselves into a hole trying to run the same pace every mile, especially when the miles are not always a mile.

Focus on how you feel, recognize that early on you're going to feel pretty good, amped up, and want to go like a wild stallion.  But don't do that.  Go easy.  Pretend you're out on a training run.  Find you rhythm, your sweet spot, and stay there.

Whether you hit your time goal or not, be happy in the fact that you ran a marathon, and you learned something for next.  Chances are you will not run the race you thought.  That happens more often than not.  We learn more from those races than the perfectly executed ones.

2009-09-29 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2431378

User image

Queen BTich
Scout7 - 2009-09-29 7:53 AM

I can tell you what my strategy has been...

I just go.  I don't really worry a lot about a specific pace, because that's naturally going to vary for each mile.  I've seen people get themselves into a hole trying to run the same pace every mile, especially when the miles are not always a mile.

Focus on how you feel, recognize that early on you're going to feel pretty good, amped up, and want to go like a wild stallion.  But don't do that.  Go easy.  Pretend you're out on a training run.  Find you rhythm, your sweet spot, and stay there.

Whether you hit your time goal or not, be happy in the fact that you ran a marathon, and you learned something for next.  Chances are you will not run the race you thought.  That happens more often than not.  We learn more from those races than the perfectly executed ones.

x2.

I'll add that you should race how you train and 2 weeks before the race is not when you should be asking some of these questions.

The advice I got before my first was this:
"Have 3 goals.
First: goal time for a perfectly executed race. (4:15 for you)
Second: goal time for a pretty good race (maybe 4:20-4:30)
Third: finish, survive and have a good time (throw all times out the window!)"

It's your first one, expect the unexpected. If you do well, great. If not, learn and do things differently next time.

2009-09-29 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
I just go with how I feel, as we all know somedays we can really leave the rubber on the road when running, but my #1 goal is always to just finish.
I try and not be so concerend with the pacing clock, so I do not end up disappointed with my time. Yes - I do have goals and try to maintain a certain pace, however, I always learn something from the race for next time.
have fun at your marathon !
2009-09-29 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If the 4:15 goal is really important, perhaps you should sign up for the 4:15 pace team.  They will hold an even pace throughout the race. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Pacing Theories Rss Feed