General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need OWS suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 5:41 PM

Subject: Need OWS suggestions
Completed Nathan's tri yesterday, and it was my first OWS experience (as well as my first tri).  My swim was terrible.  In the pool, I have been able to do over 2000 meters non-stop, but the 1500 meters in the lake for some reason totally threw me out of my comfort zone.  That being said, I need to get some OWS practice but am wondering where to go?  I live in the west valley, so Lake Pleasant is probably the closest/most convenient location........where do you all enter the water there?  Is there a "designated" swimming area?  Or, are there any sort of distance markers or anything that you can use to note your distance?  Any help is appreciated!

2009-09-28 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2430643

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Subject: RE: Need OWS suggestions
First Wave Tri practices out there at Lake Pleasant. Here is a link to their training page where they post workouts. They are a very friendly group and you don't have to join to participate in workouts.

http://www.firstwavetri.com/Training/Train_Events.asp

2009-09-28 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2430643

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Need OWS suggestions
I swam at Saguaro Lake to get a 'feel' for murky, icky water (before TTL) so I could be a bit more prepared for Nathan's. Butcher Jones Cove is a great place - no wake, lots of other waders/swimmers, but look out for the creepy weeds - ick!
Also, there are a few more Splash n Dash events put on by 4peaksracing - I did the one before Nathan's and it helped TREMENDOUSLY! I am thinking about doing the 2000m one later on. Made me feel sooo much more comfortable in the lake than if I were to go in having no experience. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need OWS suggestions Rss Feed