General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching between tri and drop bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 8:07 PM

Subject: Switching between tri and drop bars
Before my question let me give a little background, I am pretty set on buying a Kestrel Talon SL, which as you might know comes standard with a reversable seatpost, making it a decent bike that can be both tri-specific or road specific.

With that said I wanted to know if anyone with experiance setting up / building bikes, can give me an idea how hard it would be to switch the handle bar set-up from a typical drop bar set up, to a tri set-up with bar end shifters, and pursuit bars/brakes, and vice versa.

*Read, I am cheap and want ALL the benefits of a tri-handle bar set up, without buying another bike

2009-09-28 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2430920

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Switching between tri and drop bars

It's not hard but it will quickly become a PITA.  If you are planning to do this a couple of times a season then it can work but if you are looking at doing it on a regular basis, it is likely more trouble then you will want to go through each time.

If you do it, I would recommend a second seat post and saddle so that you simply loosen the post and replace the post and saddle.

Beyond that, it will be a matter of loosening six (or eight) bolts, pulling cables, running cables and retightening six (or eight) bolts.  If you do this, you will want to ensure you cables are well lubed and that you have very sharp cutters to you prevent the cables from fraying for as long as possible (or solder the ends).

However, you may also want to adjust stem and/or spacers each time which is going to add to the process.

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching between tri and drop bars Rss Feed