General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling creates hip and back of knee pain only on right leg Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-30 7:44 AM

Subject: Cycling creates hip and back of knee pain only on right leg
Finally after my season I took some time off. During the season I had struggled with ITB issues and hip and knee pain in my right leg only. My PT and Chiro both thought it was from running.

Once I took some time off, I realized it was from my bike. I am able to run without pain but as soon as I get on the bike, the hip and knee pain comes right back.

I've had 2 bike fits and I don't really know that much about how a bike is supposed to fit, so I relied on the pros. Now I am realizing that something is still wrong and I am not sure I want to go back to the bike fitter because I'm feeling like he's not competent. I also don't want to spend another 200 bucks!

Does anyone have suggestions on why I'm having this pain in only one side and in my hip and back of my knee? Suggestions of how to tweak my bike fit myself?

2009-09-30 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2433657

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Cycling creates hip and back of knee pain only on right leg

I had the 'back of the knee pain' in one leg also.  Turns out, one leg is shorter than the other.  Made a small adjustment, and all is well now.

2009-09-30 10:35 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Not sure if you have a road bike or tri, or hybrid. This video is free and it covers the basics, you can also get a kit. If its a tri bike I cant give much advice.
You may want to seek an experienced bike coach also if you cannot seem to get your fit dialed in, perhaps its your pedaling or something else, sounds like fit though. It sucks to be injured, at least you could narrow it down to biking, sometimes thats difficult! I have found that it pays to be able to know how to fit, simple things can change a fit, who can afford a pro fit all the time?
2009-09-30 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Talk to who did your fit and see if they will help solve the issue. Just because it didn't work out first go round doesn't mean with a slight change in position you might be good.
2009-09-30 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

This is definitely a fit issue and most fitters would expect you to come back for fine tuning if you are having problems.

Pain behind the knee is usually the hamstring insertion pulling. Either your seat is too high or your handlebars are too low.  I had this resolved with a new stem.

2009-10-05 7:31 PM

I also have the same problem in my right leg! I am hoping its fit issues and i am going get re-fitted next week. Hope everything works out well for you

2009-10-05 8:46 PM

Master
2 quick things....

Sometimes, when the pain is only on one side it can be because of the position of your cleat on that shoe. One quick thing you can do it check your cleats to compare your good side to the other. See if the cleat has shifted or moved.

Second, make sure your seat is perfectly centered to the top tube of your bike. A while ago I used to take the seat off my bike often in order to stuff it in my car. Sometimes, I'd be sloppy when putting it back on the bike (I took it off by removing the seatpost leaving the seat connected) and I would be slightly off center. It ended up manifesting itself as pain on one side.

Just 2 quick thoughts. Kathy's got a good point. Fitting is kind of a fluid thing, perhaps the guy who did your fit can help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling creates hip and back of knee pain only on right leg Rss Feed