General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this even possible? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-24 3:01 PM

Veteran
Littleton, NH
Subject: Is this even possible?

I've been feeling doubtful that I'll be ready for this in 6 weeks.   

I only just got my bike this weekend and have only been riding a stationary bike up until now.  I learned after 2 miles what a big difference that makes.  Also, my handle bars are totally uncomfortable, but I don't know what I can do to fix it.  I'm very bike illiterate, sorry. I also don't know which gear is for which. {ducks head embarrassedly} If anyone has a good link for bike layout or info that would be great. 

Also, my swim isn't terrific.  I'm only just starting to swim a full 500 yards doing 3 laps freestyle and 1 backstoke.  I do more laps after the 500 yards also, but I don't time myself on them, they're more for excersize/practice purposes.  I had trouble w/ the bilateral breathing and getting a stroke down so it took a while before I could do a freestyle in a somewhat efficent manner.  

My run is OK.  Good for me, I started running at 4.5mph end of March and can comfortably run a 5.5 mph pace most of the time and just had my first 6mph run for 17 min last week.  The only problem with my run is sonsistantly sore shins, however, they're only sore if I'm doing stairs or in the beggining of my run and sometimes right after.  I usually swim after I run, so they loosen up by the time I leave the gym. 

I'm pretty broke on money and have already invested more into my fitness than I should have, so taking lessons or buying anything more than $50 won't fly.  Any advice/suggestions/links would be great.   Thanks!

2005-05-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: #162686

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
Subject: RE: Is this even possible?
It is possible!!
No I haven't officially done a tri yet...but I have read enough posts from successful triers who started in your situation (or worse) and had a great time finishing their race.
Remember this is for you...you don't have to be the first across the line to be a triathlete.

As for your pace, I am a firm believer in the race day vibe and spirit. I hate to run. In fact a year ago I couldn't even run 1/4 mile without having to stop. Today I can run 2 to 2.5 miles at a time without stopping...no its not fast but I get there in the end. Anyhow, to gauge my progress I entered into a local 5k event...the energy was there and so much fun. I ran faster than I ever have. I have since come to realize that as I train by myself I sometimes hold myself back wit the I don't think I can do it attitude. But the reality is I can...

For biking...just get out there and ride. That is the best way to learn. Shift the gears...you'll figure out quickly what you want to use for what. The lower gears where you spin really fast and it feels like the chain is going to come off are for the hills. When pedaling on a straight path you want some resistance to move you forward...but you don't have to torture yourself. Let the bike work for you.

Have fun.. and remember, You CAN do it!!!

Edited by sulis 2005-05-24 3:08 PM
2005-05-24 3:22 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
A few questions/statements:

-Did you get fit for your bike when you bought it? (This is probably the most important thing you can do. If you can't afford it, there are some websites, books, etc that give calculations to determine seat height, etc, but nothing beats a good fitting).

-Chainrings (on the front/cranks): Bigger is a faster, harder gear.
-Cassette (Cogs on the back)- Smaller is a faster, harder gear.
2005-05-24 3:22 PM

Veteran
MO
You can TOTALLY do it! Don't even worry about it! My first triathlon was a month after I got my road bike, and just like you I'd only been riding a stationary bike before that -- the tri was the fourth time I'd ever been on my bike! And it was fine!

How long's your swim? If it's remotely close to 500 yards, it sounds like you'll have no problem, and as for the run you can always slow down if you need to. You're going to love it!
2005-05-24 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

This is a really good place to start learning about bikes

http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

Sheldon address your questions directly. Some of his technical info is a little dated, but his is as complete a site for cycling education as you are going to find

2005-05-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #162694

Veteran
Littleton, NH

mnewton - 2005-05-24 3:22 PM A few questions/statements: -Did you get fit for your bike when you bought it? (This is probably the most important thing you can do. If you can't afford it, there are some websites, books, etc that give calculations to determine seat height, etc, but nothing beats a good fitting). -Chainrings (on the front/cranks): Bigger is a faster, harder gear. -Cassette (Cogs on the back)- Smaller is a faster, harder gear.

I didn't get fitted, I bought it off e-bay. 

My main problem w/ the handlebars is that I can't comfortably reach the breaks with my hands on the bottom handle, so I had to hook on the top part of the brake in between my thumb and forefinger so I could use the breaks and that just killed after 5 minutes.   

2005-05-26 11:37 AM
in reply to: #162707

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
What kind of bike it is? Frame size? Your height? Remember.. YOU MUST HAVE FUN. Don't get discouraged.
2005-05-26 1:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
You can ABSOLUTELY complete the race. Go to your local bike shop and ask them if there's anything you can do to the bike to make it work. Maybe a different stem that brings the handlebars closer or something. If you get a financial windfall in the future, you can go back to the bike shop to get fitted for a bike.
2005-05-26 4:43 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You can do it - don't doubt yourself, the negativity is bad for your spirit.  Take the suggestion to make a stop at your LBS and ask them about your fit.  It doesn't cost anything to ask, and see what kind of infomation you can get from them free.  Also, invest in a good quality pair of gel padded biking gloves - they should be under $30.  I can't imagine riding without mine, not even for a sprint distance. Your swim can improve quite a bit in six weeks if you are going consistantly, 3 times a week, it sounds like you have made good progress.  I suffered with shinsplints until recently (found a miracle cure) and so I had to keep my run training down to a minimum, just enough to make sure I could finish my race distances.  Sounds like you are making good strides there also (no pun intended).

If you are being consistant and putting in good quality workouts you can most definitely be ready for your race six weeks from now. 

2005-05-26 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
fort collins
A good fit bike is good but you can still do it with a bike that doesnt fit at all.

My bike is way to small for me. It is a mountain bike and going Mt biking it really didnt seem to matter even felt darn good on those trails. But since I started training for TRI and riding on the road I found out the my butt teeder todders on the back edge of the seat and feels like it could fall off at any time. Bike is way to small in more then one area but so what it wont stop me.
But I sure o wish I could aford a road bike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this even possible? Rss Feed