General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasons to not use nose plug for swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-02 8:33 AM

Subject: Reasons to not use nose plug for swimming

I just started swimming lessons in preparation to do my first triathlon in the spring of 2010 and am having difficulty with water going up my nose. As a kid I had no problems with this and as I got older it has become harder to prevent it. Also, about 3 years ago I had sinus surgery to fix a deviated septum and slightly expand the opening to the sinus area located under my right eye (maxillary sinus).

Our coach briefly mentioned to not use nose plugs, but there wasn't any clear reason given. I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice as to why using a nose plug is a bad thing.

I have read articles about blowing bubbles through my nose and that works for the most part, but if someone is in another lane and splashes or I turn my head down into the water too fast, water comes rushing in. I feel that by having to almost immediately blow air out my nose is causing me to lose too much air and get out of breath quicker.

Being in a pool with no current and only 1-2 other swimmers nearby, makes it easier to not get water in my nose. However, once I am in an open water setting with currents and potentially hundreds of other swimmers, I am very concerned over being stopped by water getting up my nose.

Thank you in advance for any advice you provide.

2009-10-02 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2438501

Master
Subject: RE: Reasons to not use nose plug for swimming
I would use one. If you ever do a tri where you have a washing machine style where people are close it's entirely possible to have some contact with another swimmer and that could knock the nose piece off or crooked. That's why I wouldn't want to use on.

Try starting by constantly exhaling through your nose while your head is underwater and breathing through your mouth when you come up for a break. I think you're on the track. As with all things swimming, you get better with each lap you swim.

Good luck in your first tri and welcome to BT!
2009-10-02 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
PA
I started with one and eventually found I could breath better without it.  If it makes you more comfortable in the water, by all means, use it.  It's not like it's going to slow you down.
2009-10-02 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
MA
I never use one.  I have to breathe both through my mouth and my nose. 
Exhaling whenever your face is in the water would prevent water getting up your nose.  But some times you can't really avoid it when someone is swimming around you creating waves and such.  But to me that part of swimming, and I don't really mind it.  I am known to choke and cough under the water when swimming. 
2009-10-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2438620

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I used one for a few years for all swims and I still use one in races.  I have raced a lot and never has it been knocked off my face or caused trouble there.  I have dropped it a few times when leaving the water, so make sure you have extras.

I HIGHLY recommend the very ugly rubber type with a headstrap. I have snapped a few plastic ones, which hurt anyway, and the rubber ones are the best.  Easier to keep track of, as well. 

Like this: http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3106232&kwCatId=&kw=nose+clip&origkw=nose+clip&sr=1

Good luck!  I say "whatever works."

ETA: You can't really see it unless you know it's there, but I am wearing one around my neck in my avatar pic

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2009-10-02 10:42 AM
2009-10-02 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
My wife just learned how to swim in late 2007 and has since become a very solid tri swimmer. She uses one and I tghink it's perfectly fine if you ar e not comfortable equalizing the pressure in your sinus or exhaling through your nose in the water.

2009-10-02 1:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advice, I appreciate it. From what everyone was saying, it looks like the biggest hang up of the nose clips is the issue if it gets knocked off. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any drawbacks.
2009-10-02 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Would a nose clip be recommended for a new distance swimmer?  And then maybe ditch it when you become more proficient?
2009-10-02 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I've tried them and they helped a little when I was really new to swimming, but not enough to stick with it. I get the feeling that if you start using it then eventually you won't be able to swim without one.
2009-10-02 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

I use a nose clip for all my OWS due to sinus congestion issues post-swim if I don't.  I rarely use one for my pool swims.  I have no problems going back and forth.  I use the one like Bikergrrrl above.  I have never had it come off while swimming.  Use it if it helps. 

2009-10-02 4:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington
Nothing clears out my sinuses like a nice romp through your pool

When your head is in the water, keep slowly exhaling.

Edited by ionlylooklazy 2009-10-02 4:29 PM

2009-10-02 8:31 PM

I don't use a nose plug, so I can't speak as to the merits of them. But when you are first learning to swim, especially with a coach, your form should be your first priority. If you are more comfortable using a nose plug, then use it so that there is one less distraction to keep you on focusing on what your coach is teaching you.

I don't really see the need for a nose plug in swimming, and the majority of swimmers are able to do very well without one. So, if you want to use it while you are learning and getting other stuff squared away, that's fine, but allow yourself time to ween yourself off of it so that you don't depend on one for a race, where it could easily come off in a swim due to competitors.
2009-10-02 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Leicester
I'm a new triathlete and I have found going from being a poor swimmer to good enough for a sprint tri with a nose clip.  I found the same thing, too much water up the nose trying to exhale through nose/mouth.

all the pool time in the last 8 weeks and the 1 sprint race never had a problem with it falling or being knocked off.

Use it, why not!?

I may try some pool swims without it no were out of season.
2009-10-02 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
If you are more comfortable with it, you should use it for the simple fact you want to be as comfortable in the water as possible. That being said I find a nose clip very uncomfortable and feel claustrophobic with one on. I even have issues with a face mask because i can't exhale out my nose. There is no one who should tell you not to use one. Keep in mind that if you use one in practice you will be using it during a race and it is just one more piece of equipment that can fail; i.e.. get knocked or ripped off. Then if you are in the middle of the swim with no nose clip what is going to happen?

It is very possible to learn to equalize the pressure in your nose so water can not enter. Take a look at any top swimmer and most likely you will not see anyone utilizing a nose clip.
2009-10-03 8:49 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I can think of two 'drawbacks' to using one:

1.  Thoughtless breathng.  I breath in the water just like I breath when I'm running, biking or sitting at my computer.  That is, I don't think about it, it just comes naturally.  You body knows where/how to breath to get the O2 it needs and your body knows what feels comfortable and the right percentage of breathing out the nose/mouth without thinking about it.

2.  You will not have the advantage of totally clear sinuses when you get out of the water and on the bike.  Might sound kinda gross but seriously, you are gonna get a modicum of water in your sinuses when you swim and this will serve to clear the nose breathing.  ;-)

~Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasons to not use nose plug for swimming Rss Feed