of 5

2005-05-25 6:17 PM
in reply to: #163436

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Anti-Smoking Snob?
The Lexus hybrid base MSRP is $48,535

kanoelani - 2005-05-25 4:29 PMWill Race for BeerThe Lexus is starting out at $36,000, but if you think about all those people putting down more than that for SUV's it sounds cheap. 

2005-05-25 8:31 PM
in reply to: #162805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thats annoying. And I've been going around telling everyone to buy one. I read an article on the web at the beginning of the year touting $36,000. LIARS. Lets just pretend you save the difference in gas money the first year and you get a DVD player.
2005-05-25 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
MD
To bring this thread back to the original topic - I have a question for all of you current and/or former smokers.

Why do (many, not all) smokers feel it is ok to throw butts on the ground? I see them casually flick the butts in the grass, out a car window, in a parking lot, on the sidewalk, acting as if they have every right to trash the place. I still find piles in parking lots where people have dumped the ash tray full of ashes and butts right. Why is this considered ok to these people? Do they not consider a cigarette butt is trash? Do they have some mis-guided belief that the butts simply disappear once they are discarded? If so, participate in a local stream or beach clean-up project and count the thousands of butts they find in the local waterways. Help clean up a highway roadside and count the endless butts littering our highways. This stuff is trash, folks, let's remember that.

The few times I've actually confronted a smoker after witnessing him/her toss a cigarette butt out a car window, I've been treated as if I am crazy to even question their right to do so. Seems weird to me. I guess that anybody who chooses to smoke in the face of all the evidence about its harmful effects isn't thinking very rationally about littering, either.

I suppose this makes me an anti smoking snob. Welcome me to the club.

2005-05-25 10:47 PM
in reply to: #163608

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
econway - 2005-05-25 9:37 PM

To bring this thread back to the original topic - I have a question for all of you current and/or former smokers.

Why do (many, not all) smokers feel it is ok to throw butts on the ground? I see them casually flick the butts in the grass, out a car window, in a parking lot, on the sidewalk, acting as if they have every right to trash the place. I still find piles in parking lots where people have dumped the ash tray full of ashes and butts right. Why is this considered ok to these people? Do they not consider a cigarette butt is trash? Do they have some mis-guided belief that the butts simply disappear once they are discarded? If so, participate in a local stream or beach clean-up project and count the thousands of butts they find in the local waterways. Help clean up a highway roadside and count the endless butts littering our highways. This stuff is trash, folks, let's remember that.

The few times I've actually confronted a smoker after witnessing him/her toss a cigarette butt out a car window, I've been treated as if I am crazy to even question their right to do so. Seems weird to me. I guess that anybody who chooses to smoke in the face of all the evidence about its harmful effects isn't thinking very rationally about littering, either.

I suppose this makes me an anti smoking snob. Welcome me to the club.

Well stated.. I agree fully! (i'm a snob too)

many many of my friends smoke. they know how bad it is for them.. they either don't care.. or they are so far addicted that they don't want to try and climb that mountian and quit yet.

One of my buddies was over the other day. Smoked a cigarette in the front yard, walked out to the street and tossed the butt into the street in front of my house!

I asked him to pick it up and he acted as if i'd just asked him to sweep the whole freakin street. He asked why and I told him that it was MY street and I wanted to keep it clean. He acted like I was crazy!!

Maybe he'll grow up someday.

ws
2005-05-25 11:05 PM

Elite Veteran
I've been a smoker. I've never been overweight. I suggest giving everybody the benefit of the doubt and not replacing one stereotype for another. I'd like to think that we are all doing the best we can.
2005-05-25 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
I always stuck them in my pocket. Since I only quit 9 months ago, I still find the occasional snubbed out filter under my bed or in a rarely worn winter coat pocket. Butts aren't cool, the filters are made of fiberglass and they never disintegrate.

As to why some people throw them around, my guess is that there isn't an ashtray handy.

Edited by lablover 2005-05-25 11:53 PM

2005-05-26 8:07 AM
in reply to: #163447

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

bock - 2005-05-25 2:00 PM
will race for beer - 2005-05-25 1:54 PM foreign oil hell, we have all we need once drilling commences in alaska.
Where did you get this information? That is contrary to everything I've read on the subject.
I am all about finding DOMESTIC sources of oil so that we don't have to rely on the ragheads Middle East (OPEC) for fuel.
Ah, so you're a racist. That makes sense. bock

No, I am not a racist, you should probably read the definition before you make acusations.  I used the term (albeit mistakenly) to define a collective group of people living the Middle Eastern region of planet earth.  I guess I should have realized that someone would take offence, but watch a few minutes of the news and see what they refer to Americans as....oh, I no longer feel bad about it.  And as to the question about the oil, it stands to reason oil under ground......get it to the surface.....use it......

2005-05-26 8:14 AM
in reply to: #163608

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

econway - 2005-05-25 7:37 PM To bring this thread back to the original topic - I have a question for all of you current and/or former smokers. Why do (many, not all) smokers feel it is ok to throw butts on the ground? I see them casually flick the butts in the grass, out a car window, in a parking lot, on the sidewalk, acting as if they have every right to trash the place. I still find piles in parking lots where people have dumped the ash tray full of ashes and butts right. Why is this considered ok to these people? Do they not consider a cigarette butt is trash? Do they have some mis-guided belief that the butts simply disappear once they are discarded? If so, participate in a local stream or beach clean-up project and count the thousands of butts they find in the local waterways. Help clean up a highway roadside and count the endless butts littering our highways. This stuff is trash, folks, let's remember that. The few times I've actually confronted a smoker after witnessing him/her toss a cigarette butt out a car window, I've been treated as if I am crazy to even question their right to do so. Seems weird to me. I guess that anybody who chooses to smoke in the face of all the evidence about its harmful effects isn't thinking very rationally about littering, either. I suppose this makes me an anti smoking snob. Welcome me to the club.

Econway...I am a smoker (as if that hasn't been apparent already), and I couldn't agree with you more.  Here in SoCal, we had a fire started from a but out the window.  Also a friend of mine got a ticket for the same thing, he started to bitch to me looking for sympathy......my comment was "I think the fine should have been more".  Again, please do not lump all smokers into the same group, some of us are responsible adults

2005-05-26 11:25 AM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
Funny some of yall railed against me in my post about not liking bikers. Said I was stereotyping and there are aholes in every aspect of life. You should practice what you preach. Lumping all smokers into a catagory that we all throw butts on the ground...Same as what I got vilified for..
As for "hybrid" dont read only the hype. Look at the real facts. They are getting ready to change the MPG rate they post on them because they OVERESTIMATE the milage by up to 40%...You want milage get a diesel car. FAR better gas milage and just as clean (the new ones) if you dirve anywhere other than putting around a neighborhood. Hyd cars...humm same as the propane cars that were going to be the next big thing...You see some fleet trucks running on them but that is about it. Dont just read your liberal greeny weenie papers. Read from the left and right and most of the time the truth will be someplace in the middle...
Oh and one more thing. I cant stand that people want more and more govt involment in their life...Why??? That is not what a true democracy is about..Name one Govt program that is run responsibly...You cant...Name one that if it was in the private sector could survive...hummm..again cant..
2005-05-26 11:36 AM
in reply to: #163702

User image

Veteran
Arizona
Hey Will- Race

It's funny that you don't want to be lumped into a group. Especially since you appear to lump all people from the middle east into one group.

"Hi Pot...this is the kettle...I just wanted to tell you that you're black."

Edited by justjester2000 2005-05-26 11:38 AM
2005-05-26 11:38 AM
in reply to: #163854

User image

Buttercup

Baseball1 - 2005-05-26 11:25 AM Oh and one more thing. I cant stand that people want more and more govt involment in their life...

Baseball, speaking of an over-reaching government, I believe it was Virginia that was trying to pass a bill that required women to report their miscarrige to authorities within 24 hours of their miscarriage. Did this intrusive bill pass and become law in VA? Is Virginia now going to criminalize women who don't report extremely personal and painful losses?

Edited by Renee 2005-05-26 11:39 AM

2005-05-26 11:40 AM
in reply to: #163696

User image

Regular
Boulder, CO
will race for beer - 2005-05-26 6:07 AM

No, I am not a racist, you should probably read the definition before you make acusations.  I used the term (albeit mistakenly) to define a collective group of people living the Middle Eastern region of planet earth.

You used a racial slur. That doesn't make you a racist? I would think about it if I were you.

I guess I should have realized that someone would take offence, but watch a few minutes of the news and see what they refer to Americans as....oh, I no longer feel bad about it.

Two wrongs make a right? Didn't you move past that in kindergarten? I guess not.

Sidenote: I bet you watch Fox news.

And as to the question about the oil, it stands to reason oil under ground......get it to the surface.....use it......

You have a very simplistic view of the world, don't you? You said (quote) "we have all we need once drilling commences in alaska". You are simply wrong on this. Opponents to the Alaska drilling plan stated on the Senate floor that even at peak production the refuge would account for less than 2.5 percent of U.S. oil needs. Even the Republicans did not debate that statement. Please explain how 2.5% equates to "all we need."

bock
2005-05-26 11:41 AM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
I have no clue about that Renee...First I heard of it...was that a bill unto itself or was it attached to another bill in attempt to kill the original intent of the bill (this is how we get many of the "blue laws" in this country)
2005-05-26 11:47 AM
in reply to: #163854

User image

Baseball1
Lumping all smokers into a catagory that we all throw butts on the ground.....

You obviously missed a few words in econway's post.  It reads, Why do (many, not all) smokers feel it is ok to throw butts on the ground?

Edited by zagagirl 2005-05-26 11:49 AM
2005-05-26 11:49 AM
in reply to: #163869

User image

Buttercup

It appears to be a stand-alone bill: Legislative Sentry: HB1677 introduced by Delegate John Cosgrove (R). And I was wrong - it must be reported within 12 hours (not 24 hours) to the local law enforcement agency or suffer up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

I wonder if it passed. Sounds heinous.

Addendum: I found information that Cosgrove withdrew the bill several months later because "The language is just too confusing."  Amazing. He didn't withdraw because it was an incredibly stupid and invasive piece of legislation, but because it was confusing language. What a wack-job.

Edited by Renee 2005-05-26 11:52 AM
2005-05-26 11:50 AM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
No I read it correctly. But that has been one of the major complaints on here about smokers...Same as when I commented on bad cyclists. I never said all but yet got accused of doing the same thing many people in this post are doing. Something about glass houses comes to mind...I know what I am...I may not be the smartest one here but I also dont pretend to be better than everyone else either.

2005-05-26 11:52 AM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
I agree that does sound stupid. I wonder what was behind that bill..
2005-05-26 11:59 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

how about this: I work in a hospital.  EVERY entrance has smokers out in front of it.  Every am when I arrive, every PM when I leave.  Even to get to the non smoking OUTSIDE area of the cafeteria, you first need to exit the cafeteria and go through the outdoor smoking area.  There is no guarantee folks will be obeying the NO SMOKING signs prominently there.  Then, when it's raining or cold, folks will gather on the small porch that's sheltered right by the cafeteria doors.  They'll come in and exhale smoke as they enter the cafeteria. 

This has gone on for years and administration hasn't done a thing about it.  Well, they haven't improved on the food either, so....

A government owned hospital in the same city, no smoking at all on the property. 

What gets me?  Folks who smoke in a CAR with the windows rolled up WITH CHILDREN INSIDE.  Double pissed if they're not in a car seat.  

2005-05-26 12:05 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
2005-05-26 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Hey guys I am as opinionated as the next person, but lets remember that this site is about building each other up to kick some butt while we are tri-ing. I have enjoyed hearing everyone's take on different issues. But we might want to take a step back and maybe not take jabs at each other. The rest of the world is there to do it all day.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Mark Twain

2005-05-26 2:14 PM
in reply to: #163955

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
kanoelani - 2005-05-26 12:35 PM

Hey guys I am as opinionated as the next person, but lets remember that this site is about building each other up to kick some butt while we are tri-ing. I have enjoyed hearing everyone's take on different issues. But we might want to take a step back and maybe not take jabs at each other. The rest of the world is there to do it all day.

Amen to that. The nicest thing about this site is that you can usually say what you think - no matter how dumb or misinformed you might be (me included) - and no one jumps down your throat. They just try to explain what they know from experience. That's really special.

2005-05-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: #163867

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Bock, last post from me on this topic

No, I am not a racist, look up the definition, the worst I did was a little 'Ethnic Stereotyping"

No, 2 wrongs do not make a right, but I do not feel bad about it when I see them (in person)burning the American Flag and yelling to kill my president.

Everyone against the ADP would rather buy fuel from OPEC at outragous prices.  I am all about developing alternative energy sources and renewable energy sources, but they are not yet ready to meet the demands of today's society.  When they can meet the demands, I will be the first to say stop the pumps and cap the wells, then fire up my Solar Powered SUV and fade off into the sunset.  Till then, we need the oil under our own soil(BTW, it is more than 2.5% of our annual requirement for crude)

I think FOX news is the biggest collection of overpaid idiots on T.V. (personal opinion, not a known fact)

That's it, I'm done...John (WRFB)

Edited by will race for beer 2005-05-26 2:36 PM
2005-05-26 2:58 PM
in reply to: #163997

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
will race for beer - 2005-05-26 1:24 PM
Everyone against the ADP would rather buy fuel from OPEC at outragous prices. I am all about developing alternative energy sources and renewable energy sources, but they are not yet ready to meet the demands of today's society. When they can meet the demands, I will be the first to say stop the pumps and cap the wells, then fire up my Solar Powered SUV and fade off into the sunset. Till then, we need the oil under our own soil(BTW, it is more than 2.5% of our annual requirement for crude)

The kicker for a lot of people about drilling in ANWR is that the administration isn't willing to do a thing about fuel efficiency or renewables. You CAN run today's diesels on entirely renewable biodiesel, commercially available RIGHT NOW. Is the govt encouraging us to do that? Hell no, they'd rather we drill everywhere down to my backyard. The statistic I've heard repeatedly is that the estimated oil resource in ANWR would fuel total US petroleum consumption for 6 months. Which makes me think: what next? What pristine place do we charge into next with the drilling rigs? And when we're down to such desperate measure, yes, I find it offensive that people aren't willing to change their consumption voluntarily and that our govt can't show more leadership. The oil will run out, it's only a question of when. I just don't get the mentality that says "Let's drain those reserves to the last drop as fast as possible!"
2005-05-26 3:05 PM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
Being a diesel owner I have done very extensive research on bio-diesel. I can point you to some forums about this if you would like. There are some issues with it. Number one yes it is available...But is is very widespread..the closest to me is about 100-150miles away for instance....Most manufactures will not warrenty an engine that has used bio-diesel..The lift pumps injectors pumps etc were not made for biodiesel so in most vehicles you have to run the very high concentration of normal diesel..Turbo diesels do not seem to like most of the true biodiesels so far....again we are very early in the reseach and development biodiesel. Personaly when it would cost me $10,000 to replace my engine I will not run something that will void my warrenty. I do agree we need to investigate further and make more advances...Also with all your electric cars out there....Whats gonna happen to those massive battery cells in your car when it dies?? Did you think about the enviromental impact of that??? As for hydr cars...we arnt there yet....5-10 years down the road maybe...but it aint a viable option now...
2005-05-26 3:18 PM
in reply to: #164028

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Baseball1 - 2005-05-26 12:05 PM ......Also with all your electric cars out there....Whats gonna happen to those massive battery cells in your car when it dies?? Did you think about the enviromental impact of that??? ...

Also, when you plug in your electric car, where does that electricity come from?  Usually a coal, natural gas, or oil fired generating plant.  To charge that car, that plant has to burn just a little bit more fuel, and that plant releases a lot more nasty stuff than your gasoline of diesel engine.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anti-Smoking Snob? Rss Feed  

of 5