General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well, it looks as if I have 2 choices for my race on the 11th Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-04 8:33 PM

New user

Lakewood, WA
Subject: Well, it looks as if I have 2 choices for my race on the 11th
Well, was horse playing with the boy last evening and felt a twinge in the back of my thigh. It was painful but not to bad until I got up this morning and if really felt like I had strained my hamstring. After a bunch of walking in Seattle the pain was not going away so I stopped my the Urgent care and confirmed I had indeed pulled my hamstring.

I have been training since March for my first race and it is going to be on the 11th. But the doc shot down trying the event. But I have been working my as off, the progress over the summer has been really good. From hardly being able to run my 30 seconds to running 2 1/2 miles plus with out stopping and dropping a good bit of weight along the way. I feel I can't not show for the race. But my question kinda comes up as this. Would it be better to start the race nowing I can't finish and take the DNF or just not go and be written off as a DNS?

I do have another event I was looking at on 10/31 that's a lot shorter and I should be better by then. But I have been such a quiter for such a long time I just feel like this was the time for that to end. Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but I still cant believe this has happened.

2009-10-05 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2442242

User image

Columbia, MD
Subject: RE: Well, it looks as if I have 2 choices for my race on the 11th
did your doctor offer more specifics on why he didn't want you racing? I know some tend to be quick with the "do absolutely nothing until this heals" solution. Is just taking it easy (using really low gears on the bike and walking) and maybe not getting the results you'd like an option? That sucks but as they say DFL is better than DNS.

If not, pushing yourself and making your injury worse is probably going to bother you more in the long run than taking it easy now.
2009-10-05 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
Dude, that's a real bummer.  Can you get a second opinion?
2009-10-05 11:40 AM

New user

Lakewood, WA
The UC doc said if it hurts don't do it. The doc's that I work with pretty much echo the statement. The strong NSAID's and pain killer he put me on helped alot, I was able to walk pretty good right out of bed this morning. I have been at work for a few hours and I can tell it's still hurting when I get in & out of my chair. I'm thinking at this point to take it easy and see how I feel over the next couple of days. I should be able to pick up my bike from the shop tomorrow and will go for a ride and see how it goes. 
2009-10-05 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Don't drop out until the day of. Give it all the rest it can get until then.
The day before go for a short and easy pace run to test it. If it hurts to much drop out and walk right to the computer and sign up for the other one. It's not quitting it's being smart.
2009-10-05 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hey

I did the same thing 3 weeks ago.  Hurt my right knee the Tuesday before my second race.  I went to the race to cheer on my brother.  Hard to do but it was the best decision for me.  Now I am racing again this weekend and I may have to walk the run but I will race.

Dont race & set your sights on the next race.  Rest & get better

Kevin

2009-10-05 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2444163

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
fsr402 - 2009-10-06 9:44 AM Don't drop out until the day of. Give it all the rest it can get until then. The day before go for a short and easy pace run to test it. If it hurts to much drop out and walk right to the computer and sign up for the other one. It's not quitting it's being smart.

Very sensible advise, right there.
2009-10-06 2:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-10-06 3:55 PM

Regular
There is pain and then there is pain. The good pain, is the burn from intervals. The bad pain is the pain from an injury-that is exacerbated by pushing through.

Which is it?  I don't think its worth the risk if you do more damage. But if its just pain, then its just pain. 

To paraphrase coldplay, "Just because I'm hurting doesn't mean I'm hurt"

Rest it and make it a game day decision if you must.
2009-10-07 2:04 PM

New user

Lakewood, WA
Well, as of last night the injury is still giving pain but only when running/or taking large steps (I usally take stairs 2 at a time). I have my bicycle back and plan on riding a bit to see how it feels. But if I still get the pain while running Friday morning I'll be going to the race with my camera. I think healing is a better plan and want to be 100% for my first event, lord knows I'll need all the help I can get. Embarassed
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well, it looks as if I have 2 choices for my race on the 11th Rss Feed