General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how long after blood donation ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-25 9:12 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: how long after blood donation ...
I relaxed for a week after my first tri and I've been itching to get back to the pool this week but life keeps getting in the way. The planets, and various mundane schedules, have aligned to make early tomorrow morning a good time to swim. I was resigned to missing that oppertunity too, since I had an appointment to donate blood after work today. However, the warnings they gave at the clinic only cautioned me to avoid heavy lifting for 6 to 8 hours.

I realized afterwards that I may still be ok to go swimming as that would be at least 12 hours later. Sure, I'll tire a bit quicker but I could get out for some easy laps. The only thing I'm not sure about is if soaking the needle site in the pool that soon would make it likely to re-open. Is 12 hours after a donation long enough to wait before swimming?

2005-05-26 8:01 AM
in reply to: #163555

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: how long after blood donation ...

They want you to keep the bandage on for a period of time as well, but when ever I give blood (ooh, it's been awhile, better do that) I would remove my bandage before bed (fewer than 12 hrs).  I've never had any problems.  12 hrs after donation, you should have a lovely clot there to keep it from reopening.  That said, keep an eye on it and LISTEN to your body.  Giving blood can take more out of you than one might expect. I had a hard time in a beginner ballet class once after giving blood.

Sarah

2005-05-26 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

If you feel okay, some east swimming should be okay.

My last time giving blood turned me into a clumsy idiot for a good 24hrs afterwards. I was all dropsy and uncoordinated to the point of bumping into furniture and even tripping myself up a minute into my run the next day. I ate well, and hydrated, but ugh.

2005-05-26 10:04 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I went swimming and had no problems. If I pushed at all, I felt tired right away but swimming easy worked well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how long after blood donation ... Rss Feed