General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Back in the Game Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-09 12:27 PM

User image

New user

New Mexico
Subject: Back in the Game
The last race I competed in was the 1996 Seattle marathon. I did three marathons that year, numerous 10Ks, and a couple of sprint triathlons. I burned out and a year later I ended up homeless for two years. I lost my bike (a Quintana Roo) and everything else. It took several years to get back on my feet. I started biking again about two months ago on a cheap (and heavy steel-frame) mountain bike. I finally saved up enough money to buy a pair of running shoes two days ago (tried them out this morning). So...after 13 years of no training at all, I am back in the game, but am basically back in beginner mode again. I'm 53 years old, 40 pounds over weight, but highly motivated and looking forward to competing again.

Edited by trinharder 2009-10-09 12:28 PM

2009-10-09 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2451859

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Back in the Game
Welcome back to tri's and welcome to BT!
2009-10-09 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Greetings, and welcome...Kudos to you for overcoming the bigger challenges life has sent your way!
2009-10-10 11:10 AM

User image

New user

New Mexico
Thanks for the welcomes. I only moved to New Mexico 5 months ago. Before that I lived in the Denver area (Parker) so I am very familiar with Highlands Ranch. I am surprised at how easy it is to get back into biking and running; I still need to find a good pool to start swimming again. i am also in my last semester of grad shool so am planning on adding swimming once that is finished (mid-December). I plan on starting with some 10Ks; easing back into it slowly. I am also saving a bit out of each paycheck for a road bike (I've competed with a mountain bike before and it works, but...well, you know, slower than all get out).

One of the funnest moments of my past was helping my wife (now deceased) train for and compete in an Ironman (I ran the marathon portion with her). I don't have that goal in sight for now, but it has always been an ultimate goal for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Back in the Game Rss Feed