General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you draw the line with water quality? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-26 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: Do you draw the line with water quality?

I've really been having trouble getting in swims with the only pool being the YMCA, which only has lanes open at noon (no good for me) or late at night (often no good either)

The reason I'm asking about water quality is because I live with a river in my backyard - literally. We own a boat & dock and kayak, but I've never given thought to swimming in it because it's a mud-bottom river as opposed to a rock or sand bottom, so the visibility is zero - local divers have trouble in it when sweeping the bottom whenever they need to. It has a history of being polluted, with some buildings along its length dumping sewage directly into in and although we swam in it as kids 25 years ago, seldom is anyone ever seen in the water...on purpose, anyway. It has an overbearing fishy-aroma at the best of times with lots of...stuff floating in it from upstream. The local conservation authority says it's water quality is safe enough to swim in, but still wouldn't recommend it (?).

Should I be taking advantage of what's right in my own backyard. I'm not sure I could get in without gagging just with the thought it, but if I could overcome the gross-factor, should I go for it?  It's only about 100m wide and would make it much easier to get much needed swims in.

Edited by gyanwn 2005-05-26 3:12 PM

2005-05-26 3:15 PM
in reply to: #164033

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Where do you draw the line with water quality?

I guess it depends on what you and your immune system can handle! It would give you some valuable open water swimming practice... but jeez... it does sound gross. Maybe try it... get in, swim a bit, and see how bad it actually is. If it's terrible, you vomit upon entry or catch a parasite or something, then you will be forced to work around the "Y" schedule for swimming... if it's tolerable, then you've struck gold, my dear friend!

Good luck.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-05-26 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Subject: RE: Do you draw the line with water quality?

Dealing with parasites and bacterial infections is NOT FUN!

If companies upstream from you are dumping sewage directly into the water, not only is that in violation of the Clean Water Act (and you should call the EPA about that) but also seriously increases the risk of you ingesting HUGE numbers of bacterial organisms, the least of which is Escheria coli, which could cause massive amounts of vomiting and diarrhea.  The fishy smell could be attributed to a few things, two of which are 1) you've got very fertile fish who reproduce often and frequently (go fishies!), or 2) the water quality is SO bad that not even they can survive and are dying and decomposing!

Long story short (too late I know), I'd do my best to NOT swim in the river behind your house.  Do what you can to work with the YMCA's schedule.

SR

PS: Bacterial levels that are deemed safe for swimming are (in the state of Georgia at least and in most states in the USofA)  anything below 200 bacteria/100 mL of water.  This level of contamination assumes that 5 out of 100 people who go swimming in that body of water will become ill.  Between the months of November-April, when recreational contact with water is less likely, the "safe" levels of bacteria are 1000 bacteria/100 mL water.  As the levels increase, the likelihood of you getting sick increases exponentially.  If it were me, I would NOT go swimming in that water.  If I did, I would make sure to tightly seal EVERY orifice of my body so as not to allow anything in!

Edited by sranney 2005-05-26 3:32 PM
2005-05-26 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
IRT the parasites, there is an article in Outdoor Adventure magazine about how evil some can be.  A few of these guys took up to 2 years to completly recover, and one got it just from getting poked by a tree branch.
2005-05-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: #164044

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Yeah, it does sound gross... you'd have to be the judge of HOW gross it actually is, though... and what the liklihood of actually catching something is... Yeesh. Yuck. (!!!!) Whizzz
2005-05-26 3:34 PM

User image

Buttercup
Stay out of that water.

2005-05-26 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I don't know what your provincial govt is like, but in the US you're far better off calling the feds about water quality. The states (well, mine at least) don't give a rat's ass (until you sue them), and I do mean that literally.
2005-05-26 8:56 PM
in reply to: #164044

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

As for the sewage thing, that hasn't taken place in many years, it just still has that reputation due to its murkiness.

As for bacterial contamination, I work as an Infection Control practitioner and work closely with the local public health unit re: infections/outbreaks so I know too well the risks, but according to the conservation authority the river has acceptable i.e. safe levels of contaminants. There is a very active fish population and there is always people fishing, and the ministry of natural resources monitors the fish in this river to determine the recommended fish consumtion numbers. Their recommendation not to use it for swimming, I believe, was again due to the murkiness and possibly the fact that there is so much trash (bikes, shopping carts, etc) on the bottom that perhaps if they encouraged swimming in it it would end up with kids diving into the murky water and doing a header off a Walmart buggy. It is deep enough that any rubbish resting on the bottom wouldn't bother me swimming close to the surface.

I think I just need to get over the fact that I wouldn't be able to see three inches in front of my face from the muddy water and try it out.

2005-05-26 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
fort collins
Do not swim in the water. I do not know what your city is like but i grew up in Philly and Jersey.
Not everyone that dumps Shit in the river gets caught and the GOv. doesnt test it enough. It is not if you will swim in shit just when and how long before you get sick.

Septic tank cleaning guys often dump in the river cause it saves them a ton of money. There load of crap will go down stream in a short period of time and will go undetected by anyone but the ? is will you swim threw it?

If it was water sking on the weekend I would go for it but 3 or 4 times a week 6 months out of the year you will definitly get something.

Many companys dump for a time stop and start again. Thats how they get away with it. Company's will also pay the gov testing guy to let them know before testing dates so the corp can stop dumping and the water will pass and no investigation.

2005-05-26 11:46 PM
in reply to: #164048

User image

Longwood Florida
from first to last - the peak is never past
something always fires a light that gets in your eyes
one moments high
and glory rolls on by
like a streak of lightning
a flashing that fades in the summer sky.....

yes I did that from memory.........love your tag WRFB.......
2005-05-27 12:04 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
for what it's worth - murkiness is no indication of water quality. i live at the San Fransico Bay and the water, due to muddy ground and shallowness, is usally the color of cafe latte and has a very strong smell to it. i wouldn't call it 'fishy', but you can tell that creepy crawly things live in the mud.

however, fish, birds and shellfish thrive. i've spent probably close to a thousand hours windsurfing and swimming around the San Mateo bridge during the last 10 years. i never got sick, swallowed gallons of it, no parasites. it's salt water though. i think there's a bigger problem with fresh water.

it's important to keep an eye on the Coli level, as in the winter with the storm run off, the bacteria content can spike tremendously. swimming after storms is never commendable for open water. for the SF Bay, all the info can be found online. hopefully you can find it for your river just as easily.

do get your Tetanus boosters, though, and don't even think about swimming without goggles!

(and be prepared to snort out dark snot for a while after a swim!)

Edited by awol 2005-05-27 12:08 AM

2005-05-27 12:19 AM

I would think that swimming through sludge like water would be like adding a wetsuit. I do not know from experience but hear wetsuits make you faster. Think, if you swim in your river and it does make you sick or kill you then when you get to swim in clean water you will be like a fish. You could think of it as resistance training. Just kidding by the way.
2005-05-27 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
I live just an hour southwest of you on Lake Erie so I understand what you are saying. It's almost impossible around here to find a place to do some open water swimming where the water quality is acceptable. Of course the same thing holds true for most of the local races. Take the Windsor tri as an example. The swim at Sandpoint Beach is just downstream from a huge concentration of petrochemical plants where spills (actually they call them "controlled releases") are a weekly event. Detroit is just down the river in the other direction. The bottom is a foot deep with muck, except where the rocks are and they are covered with razor sharp zebra mussels. If you monitor the coliform counts, Sandpoint Beach is often the highest of all the local beaches that time of year.

If you find a clean place to open water swim around here please let me know.

DaveH
2005-05-27 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
I wouldn't.....
You could get sick...
Check with local authorities about swimming on the river, it may not be permitted in your area. Also, if there are boats going up and down the river your safety may be in jeopardy.
Be safe
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you draw the line with water quality? Rss Feed