General Discussion Triathlon Talk » California road rage trial to start this week. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-10-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2487649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: California road rage trial to start this week.
Sharkboy - 2009-10-29 3:38 PM
bel83 - 2009-10-29 12:27 PM
wingsfan - 2009-10-29 9:30 AM

Today's installment:

Stopped to Take a Picture

I am not much for law work but it seems that the prosecuter could have done a lot more cross examination to take apart Mr. Thompson's story as well as with the expert witness on crashes/bikes. I hope this comes back guilty though.

Also to those who posted the link earlier to the Ottowa bike incident thanks. Looks like the driver there is going to be fully prosecuted due to the severity of the incident.
You only know what velonews.com has reported. The cross may have been brief, but I bet she did a lot more than was actually reported. Two things from the report jumped out at me as HUGE credibility busters for Thompson: 1. When he said "I didn't slam on the brakes"; yet on the tape, he's clearly telling the 911 operator that he DID slam on the brakes. His statement to 911 was MUCH more credible because he probably was (a) in the heat of the adrenaline rush from the occurrence; and (b) less apt to be thinking about litigation, whereas at trial, after the fact, liability is all he's had to think about. 2. When the DA got him to admit the accuracy of most of the stuff in the the police officer's report. Of course, he didn't admit the damaging stuff, but it begs the question: What does the officer have to gain by making up things? If everything else is accurate, it's more likely than not the statements about "teaching them a lesson" was actually said too. It's just that Thompson can't admit that on the stand or he's lost for sure. I believe ChrisM said this on a similar ST thread: he admitted what he can't deny and denied what he can't admit. In my view, based solely on what I've read in Velonews and on chat forums, Thompson's story doesn't have much, if any credibility. However, I wouldn't be surprised (sad and distressed, yes, but not surprised) if the jury either acquits him or hangs because of anti-cycling sentiments. I hope I'm wrong.

I realize we did not read it all. And what they did report on seems damning but I am just the kind of guy who needs/likes to see the whole picture instead of one piece and try to guess everything else that happened.

The GPS data from the July crash should have been more than convincing though. Think about it, if they were going ~30 (the speed limit) what legal reason did Thompson really have to pass in the first place. If it is such a narrow road my guess is it is a no passing zone as well (double yellow) which means he was also passing illegaly. His story about his friend getting hit from behind was sad (if it was true) but is no justification for him to pass nor for anything else that happened. If you don't want them to get hit from behind, drive the speed limit behind them at a safe distance and DON'T HIT THEM. some of my family and I have been arguing about this case lately and I just don't see how they don't see the facts at this point.

2009-10-29 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2455529

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, it seems the GPS data should absolutely incriminate the doc...

It would seem to include them going at about 30mph and show exactly where <they> slammed on the brakes, and therefore where the doc did - if that was the same point that the police were dispatched to, bam there is case.  The only (ridiculous) refute the defense would have is that the cyclists intentionally waited to the last minute to brake (going along with the doc driving way up to take a picture.
2009-10-30 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry if this is a repost:http://www.velonews.com/article/99685/la-road-rage-trial-closing-arguments-wrap-upI love the TJ analogy! That was presented to the jury?
2009-10-30 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2489897

User image

Yes, to the jury.  Bat and all apparently.  A little cheesy, but....

Sounds like she got her points across.  Defense did best he could, but not very strong IMO
2009-10-30 3:49 PM

User image

2009-11-03 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In

2009-11-03 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great

#1 From what I know...he deserved it...

#2 Nice to have another precedent...the other day a car load of kids "messing around" did the same to me...I was able to get off the road. I am sure they weren't trying to hurt me, but they should know the consequinces.
2009-11-03 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Judge denied bail and he'll be sentenced 3rd Decemberhttp://www.velonews.com/article/99813Horrible thing to have happened, hope it sends a message to other drivers.Be careful out there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » California road rage trial to start this week. Rss Feed  

of 3