General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The IM Taper, some advice please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-19 6:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: The IM Taper, some advice please
I am about 40 days out from IM Cozumel. I have been using the BT beginner IM plan with the addition of about 3 long rides (over 80 miles). I also added one week in case I needed it, so I have really been doing a 21 week plan. I just finished four build weeks with a recovery week this week. My training plan calls for one more long week the week after (with a 6 hour ride). I am in Maine and riding outside is getting tough (we had snow yesterday). First question: How long do you typically taper for? Specifically, how close is your last long ride from race day?Second: With some long rides already under my belt can I substitute my last planned 6 hour ride for, say a four hour trainer ride (I don't think I can do much more on a trainer), without sacrificing much? Thanks!

Edited by 98hogbay 2009-10-19 6:22 AM

2009-10-19 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2466289

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: The IM Taper, some advice please
I did my first IM this year.

Taper started with my last long run, which was 21 days before race day.

My last long ride (90 miles) was 14 days before race day, and it was followed by a 60 mile ride the next day.  I felt like my real taper started at this point.

I'd guess you could make the substitution (6 -> 4 hrs) you're suggesting without too much impact.  At least for me, trainer efforts feel a little harder than outside.  I did one of my long rides (a five our ride four weeks before race day) on the trainer due to injuries.  I included quite a bit of tempo in the ride, and it was a very difficult session.
2009-10-19 8:34 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Tapering is very individual.  Plus, it matters what you have been doing prior to the taper.  FWIW, my last long ride was 2 weeks before race day this time.  For my first IM, it was 3 week prior.

As far as your 6hr ride, do what you can do.  Since you're getting close to your race, the more "race-specific" you can get, the better.  But, it's not like that one workout is going to "make or break" your IM race.

2009-10-19 12:38 PM

User image

I just did my first IM this year. My last 5 weeks my long workouts were:

5 wks -- 6 hour ride -- 2 mile run
4 wks -- 20 mile run
3 wks -- (taper began) -- 2.5hr ride hill repeats with 70 min tempo run
2 wks -- 2.5 hr ride hill repeats with 50 min tempo run
1 week -- 2.5hr ride hill repeats with 35 min tempo run

Go with my old adage for any race. Its always better to be undertrained than over trained.

But it really depends on your weeks before your taper and total volume, also you personally. If its your first IM error on the side of caution IMO....
2009-10-19 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
As stated above, taper is an individual issue.  I have done 4 week tapers for IM and think that's too long for me.  I prefer 3 weeks.  My best 70.3 race this year was Buffalo Springs where I had no taper.  It was at the end of a recovery week in the middle of my IM training plan.  Ended up qualifying for Clearwater. 

However, if you are following a training plan, it's probably best to stick with what the plan calls for.  In a good plan the workouts are based on what's been done previously and what workouts will follow.  So, unless you have a good reason to vary from the plan, it's best to stick with it.

For you 6 hour ride...I've done part of my long rides on the trainer and part on the road.  Just this year, on the morning of one of my long rides it was pouring down rain so I got on the trainer for 2 hours, the rain stopped, then I headed out doors to finish my long ride. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The IM Taper, some advice please Rss Feed