General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 6-day-a-week runners: off day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-19 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: 6-day-a-week runners: off day?
I'm working toward running six days a week during the offseason, building from my current 20-25 miles a week up to 40+ in anticipation of a HIM I have in August and also since it's by far my biggest limiter.  I'll be running 1 'long' run on Sunday's, 2 'medium' runs, and three 'short' runs. 

I had a question, though: I've seen some plans that recommend taking your off day the day after the 'long' run, with a short run the day before; and other's that have it on Friday, with a medium distance run on Saturday.  Any recommendation?  I currently have it constructed like this:

Mon: OFF
Tues: short
Wed: medium
Thurs: short
Fri: medium
Sat: short
Sun: long

but I'm contemplating modifying it to this:
Mon: short
Tues: short
Wed: med
Thurs: short
Fri: OFF
Sat: med
Sun: long

Any help, both in a recommendation and also in understanding the reasonining, would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

2009-10-19 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2466392

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: 6-day-a-week runners: off day?
It really depends on the plan and race I'm training for (or designing for someone).  For 6 day a week runs I will almost always give Monday off.  But I also tend to follow a lot of what Pfitzinger-Douglas do in their plans which is why I go that route.

And while Sunday is the long run day, I do not always have an easy day on Saturday.  For marathon training I will have up to an 8 miler at general aerobic pace the day before a 20 or 22 sometimes.
2009-10-19 8:02 AM

User image

Runner

Personal preference and experimentation, to be honest.

I've done both, and didn't notice much difference either way.  Right now, I tend towards taking it on Wednesday due to other conflicts.

2009-10-19 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2466403

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Personal preference and experimentation, to be honest.

Ditto.  In fact, taking a rest day at all is personal preference and experimentation.  I often don't plan them at all.  They just 'happen' from time to time. 
2009-10-19 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
MA
If your blog is accurate be careful building up to quickly as all year thus far you ran less than 50 miles per month.
2009-10-19 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I recently read an article that suggested that if your long run is so hard that you feel you NEED a day off the following day, your long run was either too long or too hard.  I'm not sure I 100% agree with that in all circumstances... but I think if your goal is overall weekly mileage (or even monthly mileage), then there's a lot of sense to that.  Cutting back the intensity or even the distance of the long run to allow for more running on the other days (since you won't be recovering from the long run for 1-2 days after) will probably get you to the line a faster runner.

Since your goal of running 6 days a week is to allow for greater overall volume, I'd encourage you to make almost all of your runs "easy"... especially with an HIM as your "A" race.  You will be a better runner if you log more miles -- and you'll be able to log more miles if the vast majority of them are easy (so that you can run again the next day).

I've recently started experimenting with a similar plan too.  If your schedule is limiting you to the plan you posted, then you'll need to work within it.  But if your preconceived ideas about needing a short run the day after a medium run are what caused you to select the schedule, then I think you'll find if you just slow down you can run a lot more and not need much recovery.

In fact, if scheduling is not your largest constraint, you'll likely get even more weekly training stress with less need for recovery if you split one or more of your medium runs into an AM and a PM shorter run... they'll be so easy you'll wonder if you're actually working but in the end you will have logged a few extra miles that day than if you had just done the medium run (and you'll need virtually no recovery).

The reading I've been doing recently has been a rude awakening to me regarding how many of my runs are too hard.  For HIM and longer, I'm starting to accept that I probably do more harm than good by running more than one 30-40 minute tempo run per week.  I'd be far better off running more miles at an easy pace.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2009-10-19 9:09 AM

2009-10-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2466515

User image

Runner

JoshKaptur - 2009-10-19 10:06 AM I recently read an article that suggested that if your long run is so hard that you feel you NEED a day off the following day, your long run was either too long or too hard.  I'm not sure I 100% agree with that in all circumstances... but I think if your goal is overall weekly mileage (or even monthly mileage), then there's a lot of sense to that.  Cutting back the intensity or even the distance of the long run to allow for more running on the other days (since you won't be recovering from the long run for 1-2 days after) will probably get you to the line a faster runner.

Since your goal of running 6 days a week is to allow for greater overall volume, I'd encourage you to make almost all of your runs "easy"... especially with an HIM as your "A" race.  You will be a better runner if you log more miles -- and you'll be able to log more miles if the vast majority of them are easy (so that you can run again the next day).

I've recently started experimenting with a similar plan too.  If your schedule is limiting you to the plan you posted, then you'll need to work within it.  But if your preconceived ideas about needing a short run the day after a medium run are what caused you to select the schedule, then I think you'll find if you just slow down you can run a lot more and not need much recovery.

The reading I've been doing recently has been a rude awakening to me regarding how many of my runs are too hard.  For HIM and longer, I'm starting to accept that I probably do more harm than good by running more than one 30-40 minute tempo run per week.  I'd be far better off running more miles at an easy pace.

Agreed.  100%.  This post gives me warm fuzzies.

2009-10-19 9:09 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
what ^^^ they said.

Also, don't know how much you currently run but if you are just starting to build up your frequency I would just focus on running everyday (or 6x a week) and don't stress much about distance or intensity. The point is to get it done ever day at a comfortable pace that will leave enough in the tank to do it again and again and again... When feeling good and fresh go a bit longer and/or faster, when feeling tired go slower and/or shorter. Once you have around 4-6 weeks of just runnning and your body has adapted to it then you can start adding more structure by doing one session your long run, and another one a faster run, etc.

Edited by JorgeM 2009-10-19 9:09 AM
2009-10-19 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2466515

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
JoshKaptur - 2009-10-19 11:06 AM

I recently read an article that suggested that if your long run is so hard that you feel you NEED a day off the following day, your long run was either too long or too hard.

IMO, this is a key point that many recreational runners and triathletes miss.  I would suggest that unless an athlete is training for a specific event that requires a longer run, that the long run should make up less than 30% of their overall weekly volume.

For the OP, I would focus on consistency; run 6+x/week at a reasonable level based on your current training and build from there.

Shane
2009-10-19 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2466493

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
KathyG - 2009-10-19 8:53 AM If your blog is accurate be careful building up to quickly as all year thus far you ran less than 50 miles per month.

Just to answer this, I had a pretty sporadic run schedule this year...it was my first tri season and without a solid gameplan I effectively hurt myself twice--it actually happened more because of biking, doing two separate rides of 150 and 100 miles that I wasn't prepared for and injuring myself in the process.  I had built up to 20-25 miles a week early in the season but couldn't hold that with the knee injuries so my overall miles don't really reflect where I've been this season.  I'm trying to avoid that this time around by building the run up during the offseason, then the bike and swim will follow in March/April.

But yes, the run miles will be increased slowly, I basically go from 20 a week (where I was a few weeks ago) to 30 a week by the end of November to 40 a week in February then high 40's in April, so I think it's an attainable progression. 
2009-10-19 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2466537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA

I've really focused on keeping the intensity very, very low throughout every run I do, I'm keeping it in Z2 for long runs and low Z3 for everything else.  Speed work, tempo runs, hills, etc, are completely off the schedule until at least April, the next 6 months are dedicated to miles, nothing more.  It's somewhat of an ego blow running this slow but I've found I'm actually enjoying my runs alot more, even the long runs when I had previously been 'gutting out' the last 2-3 miles every time. 

I guess I just wasn't sure if people had a preference for their day off but that does answer the question: if all the runs are done at super-low intensity it shouldn't matter when it's taken...in fact, I did this weeks long run (8 miles) yesterday and feel absolutely fine, so I guess I'm doing alright so far Wink.

As far as the long run %, I'm operating at 40%.  I know it's not ideal, but it's certainly better than any of the Higdon marathon training plan guides, which is what I had been using originally.  There's a chance I run Boston in April, so I still need to keep that in mind as I build up miles.  And as I said, I'm running everything super-slow--yesterday's long run felt like a crawl at a 9:45 pace--so recovery thus far isn't an issue at all.

2009-10-19 10:25 AM

Veteran

A very knowledgeable fellow (BarryP) over on Slowtwitch has recently posted parts one and two of a three part series on run training.  It is an excellent read from a great and helpful person.

I would highly recommend the read.

Gordon
2009-10-19 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2466676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
kesslergk - 2009-10-19 10:25 AM
A very knowledgeable fellow (BarryP) over on Slowtwitch has recently posted parts one and two of a three part series on run training.  It is an excellent read from a great and helpful person.

I would highly recommend the read.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, that was actually my reason for going from a 4-day to 6-day plan, he made some great points in those two posts he made, I'm excited to see how my running progresses this winter.  
2009-10-20 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
BarryP was also the author of the article I was referring to that had the quote about recovery, and the main influence on my switching to a 6 day 8 run plan.

I can't believe how many miles I'm running this week with the majority of my runs being only 30-45 minutes.

I personally believe (and BarryP has also said) that the long run being no more than 25-30% of total volume (my understanding is that this is a Daniels formula) may not be possible for many schedule-constrained long course triathletes.  While 8-12 short/medium runs with a long run of 2 hours might be better for HIM training, the fact is many people are struggling to squeeze in 3 runs a week while also swim and bike training.  In that case, you need to put as much work into those 3 runs as your body can handle (and very carefully listen to your body's feedback to avoid injury).  It won't be ideal from a recovery standpoint... but that long run is going to be essential and comprise way more than a quarter of your total run mileage (though likely much closer to 25% of your total training time).
2009-10-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2466596

User image

Champion
MA
Brownie28 - 2009-10-19 10:50 AM

I've really focused on keeping the intensity very, very low throughout every run I do, I'm keeping it in Z2 for long runs and low Z3 for everything else.  Speed work, tempo runs, hills, etc, are completely off the schedule until at least April, the next 6 months are dedicated to miles, nothing more.  It's somewhat of an ego blow running this slow but I've found I'm actually enjoying my runs alot more, even the long runs when I had previously been 'gutting out' the last 2-3 miles every time. 

You may want to do all your runs for now at zone 1/2 and skip the zone 3 stuff until you build up your base.

I'm doing all my runs now super easy what's comfortable. I want the miles in and know going easy today helps me run again tomorrow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 6-day-a-week runners: off day? Rss Feed