General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherokee Road Runners Louisville Marathon & Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cherokee Road Runners Louisville Marathon & Half Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Louisville, Kentucky
United States
Cherokee Road Runners
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 05m 36s
Overall Rank = 149/313
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 6:30, stretched, took shower, got dressed, met Rebecca and we walked to the hotel lobby where we hung out until about 20 till.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 10 minutes before lining up at starting line. The starting line was only a couple of hundred yards from the hotel. Yea.
Run
  • 4h 05m 36s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I was doing this race to pace Rebecca to a Boston qualify time. Our first several miles were above pace by about 15ish seconds, but we both felt comfortable, so we decided it was good to have time in the bank. It looks like the wall came at about 19 miles, as the splits started to drop off quite a bit. She was really starting to hurt, and pain reduced the speed. (BEEN THERE, DONE THAT....LOTS). By mile 21 it became apparent that Boston had slipped away. Since I had been the one who trainer her, I felt quite a bit of responsibility, but in the end, it's a marathon, and shit happens...and on this day it DID happen. The last 3 or 4 miles were tough ones, but we make it to the finish line, where her sister, brother in law, niece and friend were waiting. It's hard to think about your next marathon when you feel like you've missed your goals on one just moments ago, but I told her when she was ready, I had a few ideas on how to help her plow through those last few tough miles next time. Live and learn. Mary and I always take the drive home from races and try to figure what was right, what was wrong, and how to do better next time, no matter if it's a good race or a bad one, so I'm used to figuring out "game plans", both as a racer, and now as a coach. Rebecca WILL go to Boston, when it's her time, and I hope I'm there to watch her cross the line.
What would you do differently?:

Could have, would have, should have.
Post race
Warm down:

Exactly what you're NOT supposed to do. I collapsed in the grass for about 5 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It's an age old question. When you 'feel' ready and in the end it don't happen, it's hard to give a reason.

Event comments:

I'm just a bit surprised this marathon isn't bigger. I mean, it IS Louisville, home of the newest Ironman venue. It's a large city. The course is nice. I wonder why this race is so small...just a few hundred. As it's set up right now, it really couldn't be a SEVERAL THOUSAND runner race, with the little trails and the "out and back" part of the half marathon running with the FULL marathon. Oh well...it's just a thought....personally, after speaking with the race organizers a few months ago, it's just a rather small operation that isn't well marketed, and that's a shame, since Louisville could certainly be a world class marathon venue.

Last updated: 2009-06-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:05:36 | 26.2 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 149/
Overall: 313/313
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat with a couple of moderate hills thrown in. Ran mostly on a walking/bike path, but some sidewalk and streets thrown in.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-19 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: Cherokee Road Runners Louisville Marathon & Half Marathon

2009-10-19 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2467385

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Cherokee Road Runners Louisville Marathon & Half Marathon
Bummer about BQ, but sh-t does happen. 
2009-10-20 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2467385

User image

New user

Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Cherokee Road Runners Louisville Marathon & Half Marathon
I think the Derby Festival Marathon in April is the race that gets all the hype locally & regionally, and that's fine. It's nice to have another option in the city that isn't run by thousands of people.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherokee Road Runners Louisville Marathon & Half Marathon Rss Feed