General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble Scheduling Workouts (Beginner) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-20 8:27 PM

New user

Subject: Trouble Scheduling Workouts (Beginner)
Hello All,

I am one month into the couch to triathlon program I found on this site.

Although the program begins with just cycling and strength training, I am also doing a couch to 5k program because I figured running a 5k in February would help boost my confidence for my Sprint triathlon in May.

Additionally, I am a weak swimmer so I have decided to take swim lessons simultaneously. No pressure, just brushing up on old skills.

However, there are only seven days in the week and I find myself needing to do cycling 3x, running 3x and swimming 2-4x!

I am really enjoying the workouts and my body is not tired but it is wreaking havoc on my schedule. I swim on Mondays, bike/run/swim on Tuesdays, swim on Wednesdays, bike/run/swim on Thursdays and bike/run on Saturdays. I know "bricks" are good later in training but I am still starting out and I am unsure of the best way to get in all my workouts without feeling like I'm running back and forth between school, the gym, the pool and home all the time. Any tips on how to best schedule work outs? Thanks!

2009-10-20 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2470114

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Trouble Scheduling Workouts (Beginner)
First off, question... if your doing the "couch to tri" workout that only has you biking, why are you also running and swimming?  with that said I feel you have two options here....

1) Continue with what your doing, but drop one of each workout to help balance your schedule

2) Find a different program that has you doing the 3 workouts... I did the 20 week sprint tri 2x balance program with GREAT results.  i would suggest doing this rather than 3 SEPARATE plans at the same time.

Best of luck!
2009-10-20 8:33 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Welcome to BT!  When I do double workouts, unless I am planning a brick, I try to do one in the morning before work or at lunch, then the other after work. Doing three a day is pretty time consuming, and I am not sure how much benefit one gets from that. Of course, I am generally BOP, so maybe the fast people have a different take.
2009-10-20 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH

I am also doing a couch to tri plan on here.  It has me biking running and swimming 3 times a week.  Never do I do more than 2 sets a day and it gives you thursday as a full rest day.  So far it has been pretty easy.  But I like it and it seems to be working out for me.  The plan is "Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week"  It is on the site.  Check it out and see what you think.

Edited by TRIMAN413 2009-10-20 8:43 PM
2009-10-20 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2470119

New user

Thanks for the reply! I started with the couch to triathlon because I'm fairly out of shape but I'm also in my mid-20's so maybe I can handle a slightly more rigorous schedule. I'm also really enjoying the activity and not getting aches and pains so I will investigate the 20 week program. Thanks!
2009-10-20 9:49 PM

User image

In my totally amateur, inexpert opinion: If you're going to follow the plan, why not follow the plan?

If your next/first 5k is in Feb, just focus on the running plan for now, while putting in a good leisurely swim or bike on your non-running days. You will gain overall fitness by running alone, and that will help you in a couple of months when you start the triathlon training.

I haven't seen your plan, but most of them will focus on one event for a week at a time. There is really no reason for you to do bricks this far out, and again, you can strengthen one area at a time.

Take it slow, and make sure you schedule in plenty of rest. Biting off more than you can chew is a certain way to burnout and injury.

Just my 2 cents.

Cool

2009-10-20 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
+1

While you body may well be able to take such a plan, injuries can occur from over training. More important,  burnout can and does happen.  Keep it sane and hopefully lifelong!

And welcome!
     Blair
2009-10-20 10:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome to triathlon training.  If you get in an am workout, and one at noon 5 days a week that gets you 10 workouts and leaves all week nights free.  I don't think most of your workouts would be longer than an hour.  Mix and match but working out in the am or at noon really opens up the schedule. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble Scheduling Workouts (Beginner) Rss Feed